Teacher Absence, Student Reward

Discussion in 'Education' started by PoliticalChic, Jan 25, 2013.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,089
    Just heard another news story about teacher absence on Mondays and Fridays......

1. "The article on teacher absenteeism brought back some memories. As a school superintendent in Ohio, I tried to get it in the negotiated contract that teacher absenteeism on Mondays and Fridays would not be greater than for the other days of the week. There were days when there were so many teachers absent on a Monday or a Friday that you could not get a substitute because they had all been already hired.

The interesting part about their article is that there was a lot written about the problems caused by teacher absenteeism, but not much about the causes for it, and why it is higher on Monday and Friday. The answer is stress. The more stress teachers experience the higher the absenteeism rate. What causes stress?

There are many factors: demands from the administration, declining test scores, disagreements with other faculty members, etc. However, one of the leading causes of stress is the need to control the students. It is not uncommon for a teacher to have to correct students 150 times a day. That means that a teacher has to stop teaching and correct a student every 2-3 minutes.

Having to stop teaching, correct a student, and restart teaching is a lot of stress. This constant interruption of the learning process, whether caused by students’ misbehavior or other interruptions also reduces test scores leading to even greater stress and teacher absenteeism."
    Why are teachers absent on Mondays and Fridays? A retired school chief offers his theory and solution. | Get Schooled

2. This issue has never gone away...and never will, because it is based on human nature, and that is inflexible.

3. A solution that has never been tried...nor posed, as far as I know....is to use the motivation as a tool to get what we want from the education system.

4. What do we want?
    a. Learning of subject matter by students.

b. Self-motivation and initiative.

c. And less stress for the teacher.

5. The plan:
    a. Regular and ongoing testing of student....

...with the reward for excellence, proof of learning:....students determine how much time must be spent in class or in school.
    Those who need less schooling.....get same.
    So...rather than relying on extrinsic reward, the report card, an intrinsic reward: being the master of one's own life.

b. Students who train themselves to be self-learners won't have to be 'disciplined' to remain and be bored.
    It will be a real goal, not a manufactured one.

c. Classes will, effectively be smaller, and those who need personal attention will get more of same.

In the business world, many are allowed to set their own schedule....where do they get the training for that?
    How about school?

Worried about custodianship of students? Give them age-appropriate options: gym, playtime, gameroom, library....lunchroom; I'm sure administrations can be creative. And, you don't need licensed teachers for most of these.

BTW....this system is one of the great advantages of home-schooling. And home-schooled kids do just fine on tests, and in college.

6. The key is recognizing the importance of good tests.

a. “Teaching to the test” is deplored in education circles, although that complaint is easily answered: if the test faithfully mirrors the skills and knowledge set out in the standards, then preparing one’s pupils to ace such a test is an honorable mission!
    From “Troublemaker,” by Chester E. Finn, Jr. Former Assistant Secretary of Education under President Reagan.

A real reward for real learning.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,677
    Um...I don't think a study is needed to determine Fridays and Mondays bracket weekends, and the easiest way for an extended one is to blow off working one of those days.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    When I started working, some of the sage advice I received was....

If you call in sick on Monday....take Tuesday off too

If you are out sick on Monday they will assume you are either hung-over or stretching out the weekend. But if you take Tuesday off as well, they will be genuinely concerned for your health when you show up to work on Wednesday

4. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    IME, it's the parents that are out of control

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Teachers abuse the system just like everyone else.

6. Jroc

Jroc יעקב כהן Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,540
    Teachers union allows them to "abuse the system" more readily as you can't fire them… Merit pay? We can't have that.:eusa_eh:

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,419
    Sick days and personal days for recent hires are relatively few. It's the tenured faculty with added years of teaching that tend to pile up the bennies.

Unfortunately, Mrs. H. who was highly praised and regarded got shit-canned as soon as she was tenure eligible. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Or who you're related to, or the church you attend. I shit you not.

The tenured faculties in public schools are rife with incompetents, perverts, and those in serious need of a good old-fashioned ass kicking.

8. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459

but i thought teachers could not be fired? :confused::confused:

ps rife is hyperbole

9. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    testing, really?

wow you must have been one terrible admin.

honey No kid ever learned much a from a test.

the only way you teach is inspire kids to love learning.

testing them does not inspire learning.

You think of children as products.

They are human beings.

You can damage them and their desire to learn by being so mechanical towards them.

you want kids to learn INSPIRE THEM.

How do you do that?

You look at them like real people with real promise.

You look at them like they are capable of learning and are WORTH the effort to teach them.

I shutter to think you were paid to teach kids

10. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I was really hopeful when I first started reading this thread.

I thought she was going to say something human for a change.

then she went to testing full stupid