Tea Party Group Demand Textbooks Say Nice Things About Slave Owners

I get such a kick out of people in here saying not all SLAVE owners were bad or treated their slaves bad.

They are SLAVES. That in itself makes them being treated bad a gimme. There is no such thing as a good SLAVE owner for fucks sake.

Pull your head out of uncle toms cabin, the person who wrote never went south before she before she wrote. Most slaves were treated better than poor white or those working in northern factories. Slavery was bad and terrible thing but it wasn't what the history books would like for you to believe.

Honest question that I hope some one knows the answer to.

When American Slavery history is taught in schools, do the books include the history of First Nations participation in enslaving not only members of other tribes but that they began to really rock and roll and enslave the crap out of the African slaves.

Or that the Free Blacks were slave holders as well?

How much truth is actually taught in schools?

Seminole, Cherokee and it wasn't that widespread, just like free blacks owning slaves wasn't widespread. But, keep dreaming.

Why would I need to dream? Slavery past and present is abhorrent. And I don't care who's in the business of owning someone else.

One person owning one slave to me is just as appalling as someone owning a hundred.
My brain cannot wrap around it. Just because a census has Cherokee familes who owned slaves not exceeding 10% doesn't make me feel better about it.

That's 10% too fucking many. (Pardon my french) But history is what history is.

When American Slavery history is taught in schools, do the books include the history of First Nations participation in enslaving not only members of other tribes but that they began to really rock and roll and enslave the crap out of the African slaves.

Honest question. What was the percentage of blacks who were slave holders here? HERE in the states.
This is just one source.
Domestic slavery was quite common in West Africa, although the Europeans organized the trade to a much greater magnitude and value. Free black slaveowners resided in states as north as New York and as far south as Florida, extending westward into Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Missouri. According to the federal census of 1830, free blacks owned more than 10,000 slaves in Louisiana, Maryland, South Carolina, and Virginia. The majority of black slaveowners lived in Louisiana and planted sugar cane. The majority of black masters had not been slaves themselves. Yet, the ranks of black slave masters were diverse: some acquired slaves as soon as they had accumulated enough capital after their own freedom, others received slaves with their own freedom from their white masters, and others had been free for several generations.

UWEC Geog188 Vogeler - Free Black Slaveowners in South Carolina

I meant in a historical context.....

Slavery is horrible without question, however the idea needs to be understood.

I suppose we can start with the word slave which is derived from Slavic - which is Slavo or Slav..

Interesting how the word came from white people who enslaved white people, yet the first thing an ignorant person would think when they hear the word is black...

Maybe because we are talking about AMERICAN history you idiot

I suppose that is the problem... You only care about North American slaves while using a fucking word in which you know nothing of its origins.

I suppose you would see the idea of slavery different if you understood the idea and its history...

NAWWWWWW - your ignorant ass just wants to point fingers...

Tell me dummy - who sold, bought and transported slaves??? why no finger pointing there?

Idiot......

Wikipedia junky.

Honest question. What was the percentage of blacks who were slave holders here? HERE in the states.
This is just one source.
Domestic slavery was quite common in West Africa, although the Europeans organized the trade to a much greater magnitude and value. Free black slaveowners resided in states as north as New York and as far south as Florida, extending westward into Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Missouri. According to the federal census of 1830, free blacks owned more than 10,000 slaves in Louisiana, Maryland, South Carolina, and Virginia. The majority of black slaveowners lived in Louisiana and planted sugar cane. The majority of black masters had not been slaves themselves. Yet, the ranks of black slave masters were diverse: some acquired slaves as soon as they had accumulated enough capital after their own freedom, others received slaves with their own freedom from their white masters, and others had been free for several generations.

I like that source because it doesn't let white slave owners off the hook. It just presents historical facts and figures of Free Black slave ownership.

There's a book out there I'm going to ask my local library to order in called White Cargo.

It's all about the white "indentured servants" who traded years and years of labor for a passage to the New World and the promise of being given land. I truly don't remember in any of my history classes reading about the real deal true hardships that this class of people endured as well.
And that King James Privy council sent over "street children" to clear the London streets of impoverished youth.
This was apparently in the early 1600's and most of the kids died within a few years.

This is just one source.

I like that source because it doesn't let white slave owners off the hook. It just presents historical facts and figures of Free Black slave ownership.

There's a book out there I'm going to ask my local library to order in called White Cargo.

It's all about the white "indentured servants" who traded years and years of labor for a passage to the New World and the promise of being given land. I truly don't remember in any of my history classes reading about the real deal true hardships that this class of people endured as well.
And that King James Privy council sent over "street children" to clear the London streets of impoverished youth.
This was apparently in the early 1600's and most of the kids died within a few years.

I was wondering why thi thread traffic slowed down now I understand.

This is just one source.

Even the New York Times gave it a good review. Check this out.

Don Jordan and Michael Walsh, both of whom have made documentaries and both of whom live in London, retell that familiar tale — although the victims here are not Africans but English, Irish and Scottish people, sent to the colonies largely against their will in the 17th and 18th centuries.

“White Cargo” begins with the discovery of a 17th-century skeleton in Maryland in 2003; it turned out to be that of a boy, about 16 years old, who had suffered from tuberculosis and injuries consistent with hard labor.

Presumably he had been a slave, since his body had not been properly buried, but thrown into the basement of a home near Annapolis, “in a hole under a pile of household waste.” He was northern European, probably British, one of tens of thousands of victims of a century-long practice, stretching from Boston to Barbados, that treated whites as slaves and that largely predated both the black slave trade and American independence.

AND this from a NYT reviewer:

“White Cargo,” which was first published in Britain last year, has a refreshing sense of distance and neutrality.

The authors take care to quote African-American sources and clearly state that they have no wish to play down the horrors of the much larger black slave trade that followed.

If anything, Jordan and Walsh offer an explanation of how the structures of slavery — black or white — were entwined in the roots of American society.

They refrain from drawing links to today, except to remind readers that there are probably tens of millions of Americans who are descended from white slaves without even knowing it.

Here's the link to the review:

White Cargo - Don Jordan and Michael Walsh - Book Review - New York Times

Don Jordan and Michael Walsh, both of whom have made documentaries and both of whom live in London, retell that familiar tale — although the victims here are not Africans but English, Irish and Scottish people, sent to the colonies largely against their will in the 17th and 18th centuries.

“White Cargo” begins with the discovery of a 17th-century skeleton in Maryland in 2003; it turned out to be that of a boy, about 16 years old, who had suffered from tuberculosis and injuries consistent with hard labor.

Presumably he had been a slave, since his body had not been properly buried, but thrown into the basement of a home near Annapolis, “in a hole under a pile of household waste.” He was northern European, probably British, one of tens of thousands of victims of a century-long practice, stretching from Boston to Barbados, that treated whites as slaves and that largely predated both the black slave trade and American independence.

“White Cargo,” which was first published in Britain last year, has a refreshing sense of distance and neutrality.

The authors take care to quote African-American sources and clearly state that they have no wish to play down the horrors of the much larger black slave trade that followed.

If anything, Jordan and Walsh offer an explanation of how the structures of slavery — black or white — were entwined in the roots of American society.

They refrain from drawing links to today, except to remind readers that there are probably tens of millions of Americans who are descended from white slaves without even knowing it.

Yep. When history talks differently than what people say they turn tail and run.

I get such a kick out of people in here saying not all SLAVE owners were bad or treated their slaves bad.

They are SLAVES. That in itself makes them being treated bad a gimme. There is no such thing as a good SLAVE owner for fucks sake.

Pull your head out of uncle toms cabin, the person who wrote never went south before she before she wrote. Most slaves were treated better than poor white or those working in northern factories. Slavery was bad and terrible thing but it wasn't what the history books would like for you to believe.

They were fucking SLAVES! By definition, there is no way they were treated better than anyone here in the states.

How do you not get this. They were SLAVES. There is no such thing as a good or nice SLAVE owner. Some were worse than others, but non were good.

AGAIN, THEY WERE FUCKING SLAVES! They were treated better than poor whites? Are you fucking crazy? So whites could have their kids taken from them at any point? Whites could be raped on a whim? Whites were sold or bartered? Are you fucking nuts?

Again, there is no such thing as a good SLAVE owner. They owned human beings for gods sake. Are you being serious here?

Last edited:

They were fucking SLAVES! By definition, there is no way they were treated better than anyone here in the states.

How do you not get this. They were SLAVES. There is no such thing as a good or nice SLAVE owner. Some were worse than others, but non were good.

AGAIN, THEY WERE FUCKING SLAVES!

Slavery was bad but don't judge 21 century morals with how people lived back then. I'm sure we will be the evil society a 100 years from now. If people then think as we do about people of the past.

So you prefer that our Children are Taught that Slave Owners were all evil scum? With no context of the times? How Slaves were Treated, How many Slave Owners Freed there own Slaves?

Are you actually claiming there was nothing at all good to be said about anyone who ever owned a slave?

lol

The point is not whether they were good men or not. The point is that all known facts need to be presented, so people can make an informed decision on their own. History should not be edited.

Sure let's teach that there were good Germans too during the holocaust.

There were good Germans. You cannot demonize an entire people just because they were not able to stop the Fascists. This is a case of "Selective History". All the facts are not presented in the books. My Godmother was married to an SS Officer. When she learned what he was personally involved in, she gathered up their children, fled to Switzerland, and had their marriage annulled. Others were directly involved in saving lives. They hid refugees, fed them, and helped them get out.

Yep. When history talks differently than what people say they turn tail and run.

What does this have to do with slavery in the united states?

What does this have to do with slavery in the united states?

That was slavery in the united states how about reading before responding.

Presumably he had been a slave, since his body had not been properly buried, but thrown into the basement of a home near Annapolis,

Slavery was bad but don't judge 21 century morals with how people lived back then. I'm sure we will be the evil society a 100 years from now. If people then think as we do about people of the past.

I am judging you who said, whites were treated worse than blacks when there was slavery here in the states. I am judging you when you say they were treated well as SLAVES. There is no way possible you can say a person who is owned is treated well. There is no such thing as a good SLAVE owner. Religiously, morally, ethically etc. They were wrong.

They owned human beings for fucks sake. They were horrible people.

I am judging you who said, whites were treated worse than blacks when there was slavery here in the states. I am judging you when you say they were treated well as SLAVES. There is no way possible you can say a person who is owned is treated well. There is no such thing as a good SLAVE owner. Religiously, morally, ethically etc. They were wrong.

You judge me? for how people lived from a different time and saw life differently? You judge me for telling you not to use 21st century morals against people who lived in a different century?

I truly piety you. If you actually studied history other than what you have been spooned fed you would understand how wrong you are.
I guess you think uncle toms cabin was the way it was in the south? every slave was beat every night then put to work and beat while working.

You don't have to put it that way, necessarily. You could just say that, whatever their other virtues might have been, they were involved in a practice which was morally indefensible.

The Jews basically started and controlled the slave trade in both N. America and especially S. America where they dominated the slave trade.

"The New World location where the Jews played the largest role in the slave-trade was in the Caribbean and Suriname, most notably in possessions of Holland, that were serviced by the Dutch West India Company The slave trade was one of the most important occupations of Jews living in Suriname and the Caribbean The Jews of Suriname were the largest slave-holders in the region.

The only places where Jews came close to dominating the New World plantation systems were Curaçao and Suriname. Slave auctions in the Dutch colonies were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday.[44] Jewish merchants in the Dutch colonies acted as middlemen, buying slaves from the Dutch West India Company, and reselling them to plantation owners. The majority of buyers at slave auctions in the Brazil and the Dutch colonies were Jews.

Jews played a "major role" in the slave trade in Barbados and Jamaica."

Jews and the slave trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jews basically started and controlled the slave trade in both N. America and especially S. America where they dominated the slave trade

Coming back to the current era, Muslims dominate the blowing up office building trade. They also own blowing up buses trade, the blowing up ambulances trade, the shooting rockets into civilian neighborhood trade...

Last edited:
Yes the indentured servants of America were often treated badly, cheated, worked to death, too.

Yes, most of those (all that I know of actually) were WHITE people.

So what?

That in no way excuses full blown SLAVERY.

All that really does is show us that man's inhumanity to man is not entirely based on race.

But didn't we all know that, already?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back