Tax increases; Unemployment; Benefits; Welfare; Politics........

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bucs90, Dec 6, 2010.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Just returned from a not so wonderful trip to Atlanta. Went to watch SEC champ game, wasn't a good game. Was very cold outside. Thought global warming was supposed to fix that. Anyway......

While there I visited an old aquaintance. As I said, I worked as a police ofc at APD years ago. Had a store owner near Jonesboro who I became friends with, mostly after responding to calls in the area, and his store's coffee was always fresh.

Anyway, I went in to say hi, and he was working the cash register. Which was odd:eusa_eh:

A brief history.....he usually employs 10-15 part timers. He offers them 40 hours, but none take it. I asked him why? He said none want full time w/ benefits, b/c if they did, they'd be booted off welfare, food stamps, free housing and free healthcare from gov't. BUT they needed to show social services an attempt at employment, so 1-2 shifts a week is all they wanted. Go figure.

So I said "Hey, why are you on the register? An employee quit?"

And he said "Yeah, they always do, just this time I haven't hired replacements." I asked why not, since he has to work the shift himself now? "Because man, my taxes might be getting jacked up in January. Gotta wait and see if I can afford it."

And there you have it. He is a private owner of this business (a gas station/restaurant type biz). He lives comfortably. Not a millionaire. But he owns a boat and a couple cars, has a nice family he speaks of. He could hire that employee, and if taxes go up, just sell a boat or car to make it equal. But he won't.

And meanwhile, more employees will bitch about benefits the gov't wont give them......while refusing to work 40 hours delivering pizzas or any other job that is available, but just dont feel like doing.

2. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    All credibility is shot when you actually lead off with a statement like this. Seriously?:confused:

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    Surely there are some illegals in Atlanta who would love to work. :eusa_whistle:

4. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Whose credibility? Mine? Or the left wing nuts who in 2004 said I'd be dead in global warming heat waves by 2010?

Oh well. Guess the moral of the story was impossible to negate. Raising taxes, on anyone, will cause only 2 things:

1- Less people being hired
    2- More $$$ flowing into the government

5. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Probably. But my friend is law abiding, and thus will not hire them. He really would hire someone full time w/ benefits. But he can't find anyone in that part of town (Jonesboro) who will take it. All his temps, some who are great employees when they are there, tell him that a 40 hr w/ benefits job would pay equal or less than the gov't, and benefits are the same. So why work 40 when you can work 10 and get same net $$$ in hand and free food and healthcare?

6. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,688
    How dare this rich SOB have the nerve to offer a job to somebody....and for what purpose
    well to get even filthy richer of course.

Good for those people who spit in his eye and told him to take that job and shove it.Who the hell does he think he is to cramp the style of the people who Ed Shultz of MSNBC and that crowd just simply adore....Oh and that gentleman from Florida the former congressman Alan Grayson.Wait till he hears what this shop owner tried to pull.

To those folks who are part of the new America The Libs in this country are trying to create....well here's to you....:clap2::clap2::clap2:

7. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,984
    I don't believe this story at all.

8. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Well yours, but anyone who told you that (if it was actually said to you) is also an idiot.

9. RDD_1210

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    How come Americans aren't being hired now since the lower tax rate is still in place for all Americans? Kinda throws a wrench in to that whole "eye-opening" story you shared with us.

10. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,688
    The list is growing longer and longer of stories like this.I hope this represents a very small sampling of how the unemployed are dealing with this tough Obama,Pelosi,Reed economy.Maybe it is what it is.This is an indication of how people act in a Liberal society.