*Tax Free Homes*

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chesswarsnow, Jun 12, 2012.

1. chesswarsnow

chesswarsnow "SASQUATCH IS WATCHING"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Sorry bout that,

1. Thats what I want.
    2. People in North Dakota have got a great idea!
    3. No tax on property.
    4. That sounds fair!
    5. LINK:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/north-dakota-voters-consider-ending-property-tax.html?_r=1&hp

"BISMARCK, N.D. — Since Californians shrank their property taxes more than three decades ago by passing Proposition 13, people around the nation have echoed their dismay over such levies, putting forth plans to even them, simplify them, cap them, slash them. In an election here on Tuesday, residents of North Dakota will consider a measure that reaches far beyond any of that — one that abolishes the property tax entirely. "

6. We have to do this in TEXAS!

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas

2. Clementine

Clementine Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,727
    I would agree with doing away with property taxes. I have known people who lost their homes because they fell behind on taxes and couldn't catch up. It's sad to see people lose homes they've owned for years because of taxes. We should at least stop allowing the tax sales of homes.

3. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    You should abolish all taxes in Texas. Take what is, compared to the rest of the nation, not a bad public school system, and destroy it. Go for it!

4. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    If you fall behind on ANY TAXES the government can take your home.

We should instead just ask nicely.

Where I live you have THREE FUCKING YEARS to pay the tax to the buyer of your home and get it back. Sorry but I don't have much pity there.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  5. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    Those are the kind of laws you can pass when there is more property than people!

6. Clementine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,727
    I am aware of that, but if a person become ill, loses their job and then spends the next few years trying to get caught up with little money, it's not always possible to catch up on taxes. When they sell your home at a tax sale, you have a couple years to pay it back, with interest. If they are unable, I still don't think people should be tossed to the street because of fucking tax bills. They could put a lien on the house, but it's insane to allow someone to purchase a nice home for a few thousand dollars and the home owner either loses big time and still has to pay any mortgage due. It's overkill and they could go about collecting the money some other way.

7. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    It might also be hard for such a person to maintain health insurance but hey - fuck em for that, we don't care, right? The government should only come to people's aide when it involves letting them skirt their tax responsibilities.

I agree. Let's take the conservative mindset. How about they take some personal responsibility and buy a smaller home or rent an apartment?

They could put a lien on the house, but under no circumstances would it be fair for them to actually take the house? Do you even know what a fucking lien is?

Hey if I can't pay my mortgage should the bank not get to take the house? Or should that only count for people who can't pay their property taxes?

8. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    It made sense back when we were an agricultural society and our income was based on our property but now that our property is basically where we live, it doesn't make sense anymore. Nobody should ever be taxed out of their homes.

9. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320

So if someone owes $1,000,000 in back taxes because they were too stingy to pay what they owed the government should just allow them to keep their $10,000,000 home?

What about the person who owes very little on a smaller home? Ever heard of a HELOC? Or reverse mortgage?

Are the roads not nicer in nicer neighborhoods? Do the cops not do a better job of keeping criminals out of the nicer neighborhoods? Are the schools not better in nicer school districts? You just want all the benefits of government in a nice neighborhood without have to pay, right?

10. Clementine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,727
    I am talking about people owing a few thousand dollars and losing homes worth $50,000 or more. Some have paid their homes off and live month to month with a limited income. It's hard for many to keep up with constantly rising taxes. They aren't asking for help, just fairness. And if the county put a lien on the house, they'd get their money when it's sold. I am not for kicking people to the street when they own their home or are paying the mortgage. It's like you never really own your own home because it can be taken away and you never stop paying.

Amazing to hear a liberal who wants to help people pay their subprime mortgage loans, but not care about those who are overwhelmed by ever-increasing taxes. The left loves taxes.