Tape from Al-Queda found claiming Spain terror attack

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by lilcountriegal, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. lilcountriegal
    Offline

    lilcountriegal Senior Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    Messages:
    1,633
    Thanks Received:
    59
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    Ratings:
    +59
    Spain: Tape claims al-Qaida behind blasts
    Interior minister says veracity of tape not verifiedMSNBC News Services
    Updated: 7:25 p.m. ET March 13, 2004MADRID - Spain's interior minister said Sunday a videotape has been discovered claiming al-Qaida carried out the Madrid terrorist attacks, but that he could not verify the veracity of the claim.

    Interior Minister Angel Acebes said a man identifying himself as the military spokesman of al-Qaida in Europe claimed the group was responsible for the attacks Thursday that killed 200 people and wounded 1,500.

    "We declare our responsibility for what happened in Madrid exactly 21/2 years after the attacks on New York and Washington," said the man, according to a government translation of the tape, which was recorded in Arabic. "It is a response to your collaboration with the criminals Bush and his allies."

    Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar has been a staunch supporter of the U.S.-led war in Iraq. A London-based Arabic newspaper had earlier received a claim of responsibility in al-Qaida's name; but the government has been reluctant to blame the Islamic group, saying the Basque separatist group ETA was also a suspect. ETA denied responsibility.

    Speaking at a hastily called post-midnight news conference at the interior ministry, Acebes said authorities could not confirm the claim was genuine. He said the videotape was discovered after an Arabic-speaking man called a Madrid TV station and said where it could be found.

    "It's a claim made by a man in Arabic with a Moroccan accent. He makes the declaration in the name of someone who says he is the military spokesman of al-Qaida in Europe," he told reporters.

    A statement from the ministry said the speaker was identified as Abu Dujan al Afghani. Acebes said the man was not known to law enforcement authorities in Spain, and that they were checking the tape's veracity.

    The man, dressed in Arab clothing in the videotape, threatened further attacks in the video, which was directed at Spanish government authorities.

    "This is a response to the crimes that you caused in the world, and specifically in Iraq and Afghanistan, and there will more if God wills it," the man said, according to the Spanish government's translation.

    Thursday's attacks in Madrid came just days before Sunday's general elections in Spain. At demonstrations Saturday, some protesters said they believed the ruling party was playing down the possible link between the bombings and Spain's role in Iraq, fearing it would hurt the party's chances in the election.
     
  2. jon_forward
    Offline

    jon_forward Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,436
    Thanks Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    nashville.tn
    Ratings:
    +5
    one more nail in their coffin!!!!
     

Share This Page