Tagg Romney Opposes Hospice In His Town

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by J.E.D, Sep 8, 2012.

1. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    I guess Tagg, his wife and all of the other wealthy residents of Belmont, MA don't like the idea of a hospice center being built in their town. Money trumps the welfare of the sick and dying. How compassionate.

Romney opposition to hospice ironic - Boston.com

Local officials received an inquiry this spring from Integra Medical Properties, a Georgia-based company interested in building a residential hospice facility on the town land adjacent to the country club and in the woods deep behind Tagg Romney’s street. It was to be one-story, about 15,000 square feet, set far back from the neighborhood.

Belmont planners seized on it. The town needed the revenue, the site was well buffered, and residents, they thought, might appreciate the service.

Sure they would. Belmont Hill, it ends up, is like Hingham without the harbor. Residents immediately printed up lawn signs by the hundreds. They launched an antihospice website and Facebook page. They raised the specter of hearses and ambulances parading down their streets.

All of which is slightly amusing if you take a drive around Woodfall Road, which borders the site. The quaint and older ranches and split-levels are overshadowed by gargantuan new mansions crammed onto lots about three sizes too small. My personal favorite was a garish, 9,000-square-foot brick structure squeezed onto half an acre and seemingly abandoned before it was completed. Sitting in its scraggly yard is the sign, “Preserve our Neighborhood.”

At an August selectmen’s meeting, according to a video posted by the Belmont Citizen-Herald, Tagg Romney stood and told the board, “I certainly would not have built my house if I thought there was a possibility of a hospice going there. The value of all our homes will decrease dramatically.”

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,334
    I didn't realize Tagg Romney was running for president, but thanks for the info just the same.

3. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,568
    Tagg...Mitt once-removed??

If Romney's record indicates that he will improve the economy, why would you care re: the OP?

Things like a background in a racist, anti-American church, and radical associations, ...and even eating dogs, don't seem to matter to you....

....so where's the beef?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Which is why this thread is in the Current Events forum instead of the Politics forum. You're welcome.

5. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Deflection noted.

6. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,568
    I didn't expect you to be able to answer.

Logic escapes you.

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,364
    stupid ass thread NOTED

Good grief, we've heard about their horse, next it will be their dog....OH WAIT

8. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Butthurt noted

9. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    More:

Tagg speaks, the selectmen act. They pretty much killed the proposal on the spot, saying they would restrict bids to those who planned to build only houses on the property.

Which leads to the Irony part of our program. Maybe it’s vaguely understandable why neighbors wouldn’t want a hospice in their community, even if, as Integra partner Tom Lewis Jr. said on the phone recently, “There are no screaming sirens. People don’t drive down the street and say, ‘I’m dying, let me pull in there.’ ”

But there was another controversial proposal on Belmont Hill not all that long ago, and the Romneys played a far different role. When Mormon church leaders announced plans to build a 94,000-square-foot temple on Belmont Hill, residents packed hearings, swamped newspapers with letters, and filed court challenges. Mitt Romney spoke on behalf of the plan, then told the Globe at the time of the August 2000 opening, “It feels great to have a temple closer to home.”

So when it was a Mormon temple on Belmont Hill, one Romney backed the plan. When it’s a hospice on Belmont Hill, another Romney opposed it.

10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,442
    The acorn doesn't.... reading the right wing, conservative, republican apologists for the privileged strikes me as funny on a number of levels. When you hobnob with these same wealthy brats you soon realize their view of reality is a bubble that few experience. So do rwcra know any of these people or are they too among the top say 5 to 10 percent of the population? Or do they really have so little compassion for basic human dignity that it's OK for the wealthy to manage society as a feudal landlord would? Rich kids are spoiled brats, not that lots of the less wealthy are not spoiled. They care not for society but for privilege which they assume is owed to them. They are the epitome of an entitlement mentality.