Supreme Court agrees, non-violent offenses don't strip your 2nd Amendment Rights...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep.....even the Supreme Court realizes that it is the violent, repeat offenders who are the problem.....they let stand a lower court ruling restoring the gun rights to non-violent criminal offenders....

Maybe if the anti-gunners cared more about stopping actual, violent criminals....we could lower the crime rate even more than we have....

Supreme Court agrees non-violent misdemeanor crimes may not strip 2A rights

This week, the court declined to take up an appeal sought by the Obama-era Justice Department in the cases of Binderup v. the U.S. Attorney General and Suarez v. the U.S. Attorney General. Four Justices were needed to grant the petition but only two, Justices Ginsburg and Sotomayor, felt the court should hear the case.

Last September, a 15-judge panel of the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Pennsylvania disagreed 8-7, siding with Binerup and Suarez in a lengthy 174-page decision. In the end, that panel cited the relatively minor sentences passed on the two men as the reason to disregard their crimes as being serious enough to void their gun rights.

Binderup pleaded guilty in 1996 in Pennsylvania to a misdemeanor charge of corrupting a minor — a 17-year-old he was in a relationship with — to which he received three years’ probation and a $300 fine rather than the maximum of five years in prison.

Suarez pleaded guilty in 1990 to unlawfully carrying a handgun without a license in Maryland, which could have resulted in as much as three years in prison but instead received an 180-day suspended sentence and $500 fine.

While neither spent a day in jail, both lost their firearms rights under a federal law that treats those convicted of state misdemeanors which can be punished by two or more years in jail as prohibited firearms possessors.

In the decades since their voluntary pleas, both men have been crime free and wanted to obtain legal guns to defend themselves and their families within their homes, forcing them to take up the matter in the courts.

Suarez pleaded guilty in 1990 to unlawfully carrying a handgun without a license in Maryland, which could have resulted in as much as three years in prison but instead received an 180-day suspended sentence and $500 fine.

While neither spent a day in jail, both lost their firearms rights under a federal law that treats those convicted of state misdemeanors which can be punished by two or more years in jail as prohibited firearms possessors.

I'm struck by the irony, here, of Mr. Suarez being denied a right on the basis of having been convicted of a “crime” that consists of legitimately exercising that right. It was not he who acted illegally by carrying a weapon; it was the state that acted illegally by demanding that he obtain its permission to exercise a Constitutional right, and by punishing him for not doing so.

Nonsense, Blaylock, none of the Bill of Rights amendments are absolute.

The state has a legitimate right to set certain standards regarding the purchase, owning, and bearing of firearms.

SCOTUS was correct in ruling that non-violent misdemeanors should not void one's right to purchase, own, and bar firearms.

The state has a legitimate right to set certain standards regarding the purchase, owning, and bearing of firearms.

SCOTUS was correct in ruling that non-violent misdemeanors should not void one's right to purchase, own, and bar firearms.

The Second Amendment is absolutely clear on the matter of to whom the right to keep and bear arms belongs. It does not belong to the states.

You morons keep saying....

none of the Bill of Rights amendments are absolute.

As if it is something profound....

You morons think you are clever when you say it but no one disagrees with the concept.....the problem with your cleverness, is that the Right isn't absolute when you break a law with that Right.....as in the tired, worn out example of yelling fire in a theater....you have the Right to freedom of Speech, but you can't use your freedom to cause a riot or panic that might lead to death or injury.......

The same thing applies to the 2nd Amendment....you can own and carry a gun, you just can't use it to commit a crime...but you guys, you don't want that for the 2nd AMendment, that is why you push Pre-Crime with the 2nd Amendment...simple possession of a gun is a crime to you......making a mistake on paperwork is a crime to you....but not using a gun to commit an actual crime is not a limitation on the Right to bear arms......

The Second Amendment is absolutely clear on the matter of to whom the right to keep and bear arms belongs. It does not belong to the states.
Your deflection is noted. You have moved from a states rights conservative to a progressive big government liberal position. Your logic insists then that the federal government and its branches should make all decisions concerning the interpretations of the Bill of Rights.

You are now philosophically a big government progressive.

Any moron, if he wants to find out if the Amendments are absolute, can human sacrifice as part of his religion or carry a weapon into a government building and refuse to disarm when ordered to do so.

2aguy, now that his a Big Government progressive, has no trouble with single-payer health care.

The states cannot protect the health of the population, a national security issue, thus the feds must.

Does he lose his right to speech too Mein Fuehrer

Oh no, the Russians have hacked the Supreme Court.

Uncle Vlad watches over us

graphic1-jpg.105299

fallacy of false equivalency, fascistfrank

Whats the difference, Gun Grabbing Jake?

The problem is in places where NYC, where It takes me $500 in fees and 6 months of waiting just to own a revolver to keep in my own apartment.

Why trust people to regulate something when their real goal is to make it so difficult that people just give up or don't even start the process?

I am fine with the ruling, fascistfrank, aren't you?

That has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment, which means, no, you can't go vandalize someone else's property by burning a cross on it.

The problem is in places where NYC, where It takes me $500 in fees and 6 months of waiting just to own a revolver to keep in my own apartment.

Why trust people to regulate something when their real goal is to make it so difficult that people just give up or don't even start the process?
If Blaylock and 2aguy recognize the Big Government progressive philosophy (using government to make social, economic, cultural, political etc. changes) they are embracing, sure, I agree with you. NYC should not have that power.

That has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment, which means, no, you can't go vandalize someone else's property by burning a cross on it.

Gorsuch would have ruled against the 2nd Amendment.

Thank you Uncle Vlad for defeating St Hillary the Inevitable, you saved the Republic

If Blaylock and 2aguy recognize the Big Government progressive philosophy (using government to make social, economic, cultural, political etc. changes) they are embracing, sure, I agree with you. NYC should not have that power.

Jake? Did you give your password to anyone recently? I might have to take back some of the things I've said about you

Gorsuch would have ruled against the 2nd Amendment.

Thank you Uncle Vlad for defeating St Hillary the Inevitable, you saved the Republic
You are no making no sense. Time for your meds.

Why do they have to agree with something as a requirement to agreement with my question?

Again, why should I trust ANY more gun regulation when NYC already shits on the 2nd amendment, eats the shit, and then shits on it again.

:(

Jake? Did you give your password to anyone recently? I might have to take back some of the things I've said about you
Oh, my gosh, a rare and lucid moment for you. Cherish it, because you will forget it in . . . oh, you lost it. :(:(:(

Forum List

Back