Supernova may wipe out the Earth

Philobeado

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gulf of Mexico Coast, Texas
A STAR primed to explode in a blast that could wipe out the Earth was revealed by astronomers yesterday.

It will self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova with the force of 20 billion billion billion megatons of TNT.

New studies show the star, called T Pyxidis, is much closer than previously thought at 3,260 light-years away - a short hop in galactic terms.

To those who are saying if it happens we have over 3000 years before there is a problem, I'd like to point out that it may have already happened 3000 years ago! And we may be just about to find out! We aren't going to know it goes supernova and then have 3000 years to prepare. We will know when the radiation hits us, so we basically will get no warning.

Supernova may wipe out the Earth | The Sun |News
:eusa_pray::eek::confused::(

Well, there's nothing we can do about it if it does, eh?

That's why you should live every day like it's your last!

:beer:

And not worry about paying off your bills! :lol:

We'll all be dead by then..

I'll guarantee you that Civilization in 3K years will have already found a new planet and or a way to defend the planet from a Supernova blast..

hey that's just me :)

Well, there's nothing we can do about it if it does, eh?

That's why you should live every day like it's your last!

:beer:

And not worry about paying off your bills! :lol:

That's a great point. Just the other day, I told someone that I wasn't "saving" the good china any longer. :D

A STAR primed to explode in a blast that could wipe out the Earth was revealed by astronomers yesterday.

It will self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova with the force of 20 billion billion billion megatons of TNT.

New studies show the star, called T Pyxidis, is much closer than previously thought at 3,260 light-years away - a short hop in galactic terms.

To those who are saying if it happens we have over 3000 years before there is a problem, I'd like to point out that it may have already happened 3000 years ago! And we may be just about to find out! We aren't going to know it goes supernova and then have 3000 years to prepare. We will know when the radiation hits us, so we basically will get no warning.

3,260 light-years? Light travels at a hundred and 86 thousand miles A SECOND. Doesn't seem that close. It takes the light from the sun to Pluto more than 5 hours. This is over 3200 light years? Also, my understanding is the energy shoots out of two cones, one at either end of it's magnetic poles. To have one of those aimed directly at us from over 3 thousand light years away would be very unlucky indeed.

Supernova

Shit. I hope we don't get whacked before my birthday in July...:eusa_eh:

It doesn't work that way.

It takes 3,000 years for the light to reach here, and the heavens have been under observasion for more then 5,000 years by man.

When its first seen THEN the clock starts.

It doesn't work that way.

It takes 3,000 years for the light to reach here, and the heavens have been under observasion for more then 5,000 years by man.

When its first seen THEN the clock starts.

Naah it is 300k light years or so away. But when it starts is when we see it start. which took place 300K years ago.
We will be seeing the first waves from the supernova arriving Perhaps time to panic before the big part gets here and roasts our gameboys.

Hmmm, I wonder if maybe it happened 3,260 years ago on December 21, 2012 so that it hits us on the day the Mayan Calander ends? Maybe they did know something we didn't know? :lol:

Immie

Sounds like one more of a ridiculous amount of things "scientist" have been wrong about. I love how the simpletons think that if you have "scientist" on your business card you are infallible.:lol::lol::lol::razz:

Forum List

Back