Super Bowl threatened by right to work in Indiana

Discussion in 'Politics' started by zzzz, Jan 18, 2012.

1. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    The specter is being raised of a union picket line around the Super Bowl in Indianapolis. The fight in the Indiana legislature continues this year over Right To Work legislation tha led to Democratic legislators leaving the state to Illinois last year. They have already boycotted several sessions this year and after a deal to let the Dems add amendments it appeared it might pass but today the Dems walked out again and face $1000 a day fines.

The Unions are looking at picketing the Super Bowl if the fight is still on, may even picket it if the legislation passes. The key hangup is that the Dems want the the people to vote on it in November and the Repubs don't want the people to vote on it.

So if there is a picket line the question becomes, "Will the NFL players cross the picket line (it it comes to that) since they are a union and support the state unions?"

2. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,652
    You mean: "The Superbowl is threatened by Union thugs"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    God forbid the SB gets cancelled! Our Republic would crumble! :uhoh3:

Go ahead and cancel the SB, see if I care.
    Yeah I watch the games, but the minute they're over I've forgotten about them. Football is no different than any other TV show for me. They don't send me a check so I don't care who wins.

But don't worry kiddies, your precious SB won't get cancelled. 2-3 million dollars per 30 second commercial pretty much guarantees the "show" will go on.

Prediction: NFL Commish or the Gov. will make announcement of a deal.

4. Lovebears65

Lovebears65 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,043
    I think it will be funny if the unions cause it to be cancelled. People will really be compassionate to them then huh LOL . I think not ,they are a dying breed. People are tired of their tactics.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,527
    I wouldn't give ten cents for a ticket to the frickin' Super Bowl.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    Not sure who owns the stadium...but I highly doubt the surrounding parking lot is "public property".....so I dont think a picket line will be allowed to form anywhere within the perimeter of the parking lot.

Furthermore...the stadium does not employ the players...so this is not the typical "crossing the picket line"...

I will say this, however....the NFL has nothing to do with what is going on in the state legislature....absolutely nothing...

So forming a picket line to disrupt the super bowl is designed to do nothing more than disrupt peoples lives that have nothing to do with what the unions are protesting.

Typical strong arm tactics by unions to get their way.

I bet one thing...and no, I dont have a link proving it...but I bet many of the people who will be attending the super bowl are union memebers...and I bet everyone of them will cross that line to watch the game.

7. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,327
    If anything, a picket line at the Super Bowl will be an informational picket line, not a strike picket line.

And for those who decry picket lines as strong arm tactics or union thuggery, what were your thoughts about the owner's lock out of NFL players last year? Strong arm tactics? Thuggery?

8. Decepticon

Decepticon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Nice to see all that compassionate conservatism at work, bitching about how union guys better not fuck up their football game protesting for their rights or anything.

Here's a hint conz....if you don't LIKE being portrayed as being greedy assholes, don't ACT like one.

Right to work for less is a VERY BAD idea, I know I live in a state with right to work laws and you can be fired for any reason, anytime without repercussions.

9. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    I'd like to see the union thugs try and stop die hard football fans from seeing the Superbowl. The thugs would get their union asses kicked!

10. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,327
    Forget it. The Steelers aren't playing this year. Would you fear the wrath of a San Francisco 49ers fan?