Suicide Net - Brilliant

I am sure they will bring knives to cut the net.

i think the net is going to be steel.

that way, once they jump and break their legs, they can sue the city!!

Steel and water ... 45million my ass

The proposed cost to CLOSE Gitmo is 80 million.

$80 million to ship 200 people a few miles and to shut the lights off.

And these people want to run healthcare?

how can anyone defend this? who thought this was/is a good idea? how simple-minded could you be?

I am not defending it or supporting it. I dont even know what both sides of the debate are really arguing.

But if ANYONE thinks that it was proposed becuase people are expressing their concern of human life and safety, they are out of touch with reality.

It was proposed becuase of the cost the city and the state must incur to defend against those rediculous "my distraught son is a victim of your unsafe bridges that allowed him to take his own life" lawsuits.

Welcome to the age of the victim.

Put up a sign "jump at own risk"
will the net have a net or do you jump to the net and then go to the edge and continue the other 180'

The 45 million will last for years, it will save many lives as well as keep people from jumping at all knowing they wont die if they jump.

How many lawsuits will it help the city avoid?

Dont you think someone has sued the city before because of the acess to suicide it presents?

They wont close it to foot traffic because its a huge tourist draw.

The 45 million will last for years, it will save many lives as well as keep people from jumping at all knowing they wont die if they jump.

Dont you think someone has sued the city before because of the acess to suicide it presents?

why the are there lawsuits to begin with?

ACCESS TO SUICIDE????????
what the fuck does that mean? stop selling aspirin and vodka, too much access to suicide. ban all knives and rope. access to suicide.

unless people are accidentally falling off the bridge, why should the city be held responsible for someone deciding to take their own life?

what lives are being saved? if you're gotten to the point in your life where you say, i can't go on, i need to end it, i think you realize the golden gate bridge isn't your only option. what next, nets on all buildings over 5 stories?

Golden Gate Bridge Suicides - Suicide.org! Golden Gate Bridge Suicides, Golden Gate Bridge Suicides, Golden Gate Bridge Suicides

February 22, 2007

“Everyone is better off without this fat, disgusting, boring girl.”

Marissa Imrie was just 14 when she wrote those words as part of her suicide note.

Later that day, Marissa jumped to her death from the Golden Gate Bridge.

She is one of some 1,300 individuals who have died by suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. We lose one person about every other week to the waters below, as the bridge somehow holds an allure to people who are suicidal.

Unfortunately, it is exceedingly easy to jump from the bridge. The rail is a mere 4-feet high, and thus virtually anyone can step over it in a second.

But why is the rail so low?

Answer: Because Joseph Strauss, the chief engineer of the bridge, was five feet tall and he wanted to be able to see over the rail, and thus changed the original planned height from 5½ feet to 4 feet.

But regardless of the original height of the rail, why hasn’t a suicide barrier been built? That is, why haven’t they built a high fence that is very difficult, or next to impossible, to climb?

Answer: There have been seven previous attempts at a suicide barrier, but the bridge bureaucracy precluded any of the plans from actually being implemented. An eighth attempt is currently underway.

It is appalling that the barrier was not put in place long ago, but arguments about aesthetics, bridge structure, and money have caused an endless morass to the blindingly obvious problem, which is this: The bridge is the equivalent of an easily-accessible, loaded handgun for countless suicidal individuals, and someone needs to take the damn gun away…and that is done by building a suicide barrier.

The situation has ALWAYS been urgent.

Back in 1937, when the construction on the Golden Gate Bridge was completed, no one envisioned that it would become one of the major suicide sites in the world.

But the suicides began almost immediately. In August of 1937, Harold Wobber, a veteran of World War I, strolled along the pedestrian walkway on the Golden Gate Bridge, paused, looked at a stranger and said, “This is as far as I go.” He then jumped to his death.

And to the mentally ill individuals who go to the bridge, a jump to the water below seems like a peaceful way to end to their pain.

But it is anything but peaceful. It is horrible beyond the most terrifying nightmares that anyone could envision.

And there is no turning back after the jump. It is almost sure death. And an ugly death at that.

It is all physics after the fall begins, as gravity takes hold – the falling body quickly accelerates to some 75 miles per hour and then slams into the water like a truck smashing into a brick wall.

The four-second, 250-foot plunge from the bridge to the water ends quickly and violently.

Last edited:

Do you live here TM? no i dont think so. Well i do.

45 million wont even get the out of gate. Everything will have to be a union job. So you can just triple the 45 million.

Dont you get it, someone will sue the city for emotional distress for not allowing them to jump off the damn bridge.

Who the fuck cares how many lives it saves. People have the right to kill themselves..or hadn't you thought of that. I am thinking the city should sue the family of the dead fro having to fish them out of the water.

Golden Gate Bridge Suicides - Suicide.org! Golden Gate Bridge Suicides, Golden Gate Bridge Suicides, Golden Gate Bridge Suicides

February 22, 2007

“Everyone is better off without this fat, disgusting, boring girl.”

Marissa Imrie was just 14 when she wrote those words as part of her suicide note.

Later that day, Marissa jumped to her death from the Golden Gate Bridge.

She is one of some 1,300 individuals who have died by suicide by jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. We lose one person about every other week to the waters below, as the bridge somehow holds an allure to people who are suicidal.

Unfortunately, it is exceedingly easy to jump from the bridge. The rail is a mere 4-feet high, and thus virtually anyone can step over it in a second.

But why is the rail so low?

Answer: Because Joseph Strauss, the chief engineer of the bridge, was five feet tall and he wanted to be able to see over the rail, and thus changed the original planned height from 5½ feet to 4 feet.

But regardless of the original height of the rail, why hasn’t a suicide barrier been built? That is, why haven’t they built a high fence that is very difficult, or next to impossible, to climb?

Answer: There have been seven previous attempts at a suicide barrier, but the bridge bureaucracy precluded any of the plans from actually being implemented. An eighth attempt is currently underway.

It is appalling that the barrier was not put in place long ago, but arguments about aesthetics, bridge structure, and money have caused an endless morass to the blindingly obvious problem, which is this: The bridge is the equivalent of an easily-accessible, loaded handgun for countless suicidal individuals, and someone needs to take the damn gun away…and that is done by building a suicide barrier.

The situation has ALWAYS been urgent.

Back in 1937, when the construction on the Golden Gate Bridge was completed, no one envisioned that it would become one of the major suicide sites in the world.

But the suicides began almost immediately. In August of 1937, Harold Wobber, a veteran of World War I, strolled along the pedestrian walkway on the Golden Gate Bridge, paused, looked at a stranger and said, “This is as far as I go.” He then jumped to his death.

And to the mentally ill individuals who go to the bridge, a jump to the water below seems like a peaceful way to end to their pain.

But it is anything but peaceful. It is horrible beyond the most terrifying nightmares that anyone could envision.

And there is no turning back after the jump. It is almost sure death. And an ugly death at that.

It is all physics after the fall begins, as gravity takes hold – the falling body quickly accelerates to some 75 miles per hour and then slams into the water like a truck smashing into a brick wall.

The four-second, 250-foot plunge from the bridge to the water ends quickly and violently.

Just curious TM....would you prefer that poor 14 year old girl jump in front of a car so the driver of that car has His/Her life ruined as well?

Just curious.

To anyone who is contemplating suicide.

Dont listen to these fools, Money means nothing and your life and the gifts you have to give this world are worth the 45 million twice over.

This young girl was a terrible loss and every suicide is.

Please dont seek a permenent solution to your temporary problems.

to anyone who is contemplating suicide.

Dont listen to these fools, money means nothing and your life and the gifts you have to give this world are worth the 45 million twice over.

Jump!
Jump!
Jump!

DO IT JUMP

To anyone who is contemplating suicide.

Dont listen to these fools, Money means nothing and your life and the gifts you have to give this world are worth the 45 million twice over.

This is true.

But ti make it more difficult to kill oneself with one medium for suicide is not going to stop that person from killing themselves.

Do not take this debate to another level. It is not about savingt lives TM.

If it were, that 45 million would be spent buying coats for the freezing children.

It is about saving lives and this fucking money means fucking nothing.

Human life matters not pieces of fucking paper died green.

There is no monitary value to human life.

You people talking about it not being worth the money makes me want to puke.

Go read the stories of people who have been kept from commiting suicide and tell me how it wont work.

Depresssion is not a death sentance and if it were your family member saved you would think it was well worth it.

Its not your money TM...Its MINE

If the want to kill themselves they will..bridge or no bridge...net or no net.

Dont waste tax payers money.

It is about saving lives and this fucking money means fucking nothing.

Human life matters not pieces of fucking paper died green.

There is no monitary value to human life.

You people talking about it not being worth the money makes me want to puke.

Go read the stories of people who have been kept from commiting suicide and tell me how it wont work.

Depresssion is not a death sentance and if it were your family member saved you would think it was well worth it.

tell me one person who has been kept from committing suicide by having a big net hanging from a bridge?

the people who are contemplating suicide that don't follow through with it don't do so because a physical barrier has been put in their way. they do it because they realize their life has value and there is areason to keep breathing. not because someone takes their pills away.

this is not going to save lives. it just means more people will jump off buildings, or in front of cars, or shoot themselves, or hang themselves, or cut themselves, etc..

Its not your money you evil shit head

Wake up your liberal head and smell the coffee.

It is NOT about the 45 million.....it is SF and Ca LIBERAL legislators that want the law suits to stop.....they prefer spending 45 million and being able to say "we did what we could" as opposed to spending millions more when they are sued.

Instead, they prefer some unsuspecting truck driver to have to deal with the pain and cost of defense when the suicidee jumps in front of his truck.

Jeez...you are really screwed up TM. You Hate EVERYONE.

Forum List

Back