Subway closed 1100 restaurants last year with 500 more on the way out.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
I stopped eating there 2 years ago when I had the worst meatball sandwich ever.

Subway closed more than 1,100 locations last year as the company’s franchisees continued to shed locations amid consistently declining sales and traffic.

Subway has 24,798 restaurants in the U.S., the company said, or 1,110 fewer locations than it had a year ago. It’s the chain’s lowest number of locations since 2011, and the first time since then that it had fewer than 25,000 restaurants.

Subway closed 1,100 restaurants last year

It’s happened before: Sandwich chains Quiznos and Blimpie both suffered from steep declines in unit count over the years—in part at Subway’s hands.

But getting to this point, from being the restaurant chain killing its rivals to one that faces its own deterioration, was the result of numerous decisions going back years, as well as some bad luck and a consumer that continues to change.

Why Subway is facing a crisis

Subway closed more than 1,100 locations last year as the company’s franchisees continued to shed locations amid consistently declining sales and traffic.

Subway has 24,798 restaurants in the U.S., the company said, or 1,110 fewer locations than it had a year ago. It’s the chain’s lowest number of locations since 2011, and the first time since then that it had fewer than 25,000 restaurants.

It’s happened before: Sandwich chains Quiznos and Blimpie both suffered from steep declines in unit count over the years—in part at Subway’s hands.

But getting to this point, from being the restaurant chain killing its rivals to one that faces its own deterioration, was the result of numerous decisions going back years, as well as some bad luck and a consumer that continues to change.

There is a behind the scenes scandal here that few know about. Im not sure about Subway specifically and some of the more upscale franchises dont do this, but many times the business of the franchise is fleecing the owner and the owner hopes he can keep up with the vig by going as cheap as possible with customers. Non sustainable.
For instance places like quiznos and Subway force their franchisees to buy their supplies from company owned suppliers. The Franchise makes captive profit there. Everything from napkins to mustard packets must be bought from the company. A built in cash cow for them, but with labor costs rising not so much for the local business owner.

Subway franchisees say produce is only delivered one to two times a week, resulting in gross 'shredded paper' lettuce

https://psmag.com/economics/disenfranchised-fast-food-workers-quiznos-73967

Last edited:

Quiznos destroyed itself with having commercials with rats in it. The roll is important in hoagies. Subway rolls are to soft. Closer to hot dog roll texture. Saying that they became popular.

Subway is decent but I'll go to Jimmy Johns first

I like the Italian (#3 or #9) at JJ, but only go there when work orders lunch.

At Firehouse the BLT is OK. I dont go on my own. Work orders it after we pick.

I once got sick on Subway Tuna. I went back the next week and told them (Gilroy Ca. Leavensly at Church). They seemed to know, but of course played ignorant. Never could go back to any Subway. That sick feeling.

Last edited:
I have to admit I am surprised the number is this high. That's a lot of stores. IMO it's because while I like their subs OK there are better options at $8-$9 dollars.

They used to have the $4.99 deal where you could get any footlong at that price. I ate quite a few then. There is a local deli that smokes their own meat that charges $5-$6. Not quite as big but far better.

Subway is substantially better than most places if you track calories. It’s fresh food options are plentiful as well. Processed meat may not be the best choice you can make at lunch there but most other sandwich shops kill you with fat calories. I eat there 3-4 times a week.

Chic Fila is kicking ass

Yes indeed. And notice something..they never go cheap. Walk into a chick-fil -a and find twelve cashiers yelling "can I help you" with another dozens rotating among the tables helping customers.
Of course they are family owned and not corporate or franchise. Let the Wall Street "types" get it and they will drive it into the ground. They also pay above minimum wage even to the teens who work there.
Is this why liberals hate them so bad?

I saw a price chart for sandwiches real costs at one of these chains which I believe was Subway. Costs can be close to at least a couple dollars a part in real terms. Anyway the cheese steak sandwich was the most expensive in real terms. If true. So if you ever order one on a deal make sure they are not skimping.

Piss poor sandwiches and market saturation. There is a Subway every half mile it seems.
It’s bread, meat, veggies, and condiments. Wtf are you looking for? If you want a cheesesteak hogie of course it’s not the place for that.

This thread inspired me to go get a subway sandwich. I'm eating one now!

I have to admit I am surprised the number is this high. That's a lot of stores. IMO it's because while I like their subs OK there are better options at $8-$9 dollars.

They used to have the $4.99 deal where you could get any footlong at that price. I ate quite a few then. There is a local deli that smokes their own meat that charges $5-$6. Not quite as big but far better.
I think mine is priced $3.75 near me. You only need a 6” for a meal anyway unless you are a fatty. :) jk

EEB36E93-8985-4055-9578-4D54F96E22BF.jpeg

Forum List

Back