Studying The Brain of 'Awakened' Comatose Patient

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Annie, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Will the docs that want to stop feeding/fluids read this?

BTW, for those not around here long, I was AGAINST the FEDERAL government getting involved with Schiavo...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060704/ap_on_he_me/brain_recovery

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Interesting article. If it's accurate, it's certainly an argument for intensified stem cell research, because as far as anyone has known til now, brain cells don't regenerate. They do say that he was only partially comatose, so I'm not sure how that differs from a persistent vegetative state.

One case among how many hundreds of thousands/millions certainly wouldn't change my mind on the other issues. I still think we're kinder to our pets than to people.

Glad to know that you were against government involving itself in the Schiavo matter. I agree. And just to distinguish her case from this.... her brain was liquified and wasn't partially anything.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yeah, and good thing it turned out that way after the fact. I'd like to see which of you libs was going to resurrect her had the guesswork been wrong.

Whoops, we screwed up. :rolleyes:

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Ahhhhhhhh...as usual, you take the most extreme position possible. There was no "guesswork", there was "science"...you know, medicine practiced by the doctors who TREATED her. You like when people say things you want to hear and create issues where there are none so you can say there is "disagreement". But there was no disagreement from anyone who knew anything.

Or should we have believed Dr. Bill "I saw a video" Frist?

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    "Science." Right. The doctors that treat her took a guess, but only the autopsy proved them correct. Guess it worked out for them and the rest of you that support state-sanctioned murder. Would've sucked to be them if it hadn't.

Please refrain from trying to tell me what I'm all about since you have no clue. You're too busy thinking you know to see a damned thing.

As far as your last sentence goes, you once again assume incorrectly. But if youo think you can find where I have made one statement supporting federal intervention, knock yourself out.

I don't think it should have had to go that far. The court upheld dehydrating a living human being to death on the word of a man who stood to gain by her death.

6. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Terry Schiavo was suffering in more ways than the people in this article.

I have no hard feeling on the Schiavo case. My family faced a similar, though somewhat more black and white decision. I bring that up only because it is easy to say you support a viewpoint, but reality makes things a lot more difficult. The laws favored Terry's scumbag husband...it is just too bad the family was not able to have a mutual decision, one way or the other.

There actually was not much guesswork involved. Terry Schiavo's condition is about as rare as an apple, thousands of people with similar ailments lay in hospitals as we speak. Not one of them will wake up tomorrow and say "what is for breakfast?".

It is unfortunate and I hope one day a scientific miracle will be able to rescue people from such tragic states...but if her condition had been different, it would have been like finding a pretzel in a bag of potato chips. Ultimately it is probably not impossible, the pretzels and chips could be made in the same factory, but it is not going to happen.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    To clarify my position, I have no real problem a decision made by a person that they desire to not be kept alive on a machine. Had that been in writing, I wouldn't have bothered to learn to spell "Schaivo."

My problem with the issue is that her life was terminated based on the hearsay of her husband, who stood to gain by her demise. Now, had they been in DIVORCE court, do you think they would take the uncorroborated statement of her husband as evidence of anything if he stood to gain? I seriously doubt it.

It is my opinion that in circumstances as happened in this case, we as a society should err on the side of caution rather than death. We did not, and I consider the decision rendered to be the wrong one.

I think a person has a right to not be kept alive artificially if there is no chance of recovery, and/or they will be just a living shell at best afterward. BUT, I think that person should be the one to make that choice, and not have it made based on someone else's word.

8. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My bad with schiavo/schaivo.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I do have a few disagreements. In the 'final wishes' trial, 18 witnesses provided testimony about Terri's wish to or not to be kept alive. The media has portrayed it as strictly the husband vs. the parents. Considering the husband's sketchy character and the possibility of alterior motives, I can not help but believe that the testimony of the 18 witnesses was legitimate to the point that the judge felt the husband was not lying.

That leads to the parent's defense that she was not in a permanent vegetative state. Doctors know what they are looking at. As I said before, this is not a rare injury. With modern MRI and past cases, I am sure the doctors had no doubts that this women would never recover.

To back track to the original post in this thread, the article was about people who are in a coma. Schaivo was in a coma for 10 weeks, and then came out of it in a vegetative state. That is why articles like this should not cast doubt on the court's decision.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I STILL disagree with the court's decision.;)

10. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    As usual I guess we agree to disagree :banana: