Advice Needed: Birds & Bees

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Nienna, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I'm telling my daughter about sex this summer, before she goes to middle school. My poor little baby! Just the thought of it makes me squirm, but it has to be done. SO.... how did you tell your kids? Heard any good ideas from others? I'd really appreciate input!

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    My daughter is only 8 and I answer questions as they come up. I have yet to sit down and explain it to her from beginning to end, although I think she probably knows more than I think.

3. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I wouldn't get too graphic...she probably knows more than you think. I don't think it's necessary to tell her how it's done, maybe just that she should wait until marriage.

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    She knows what goes on inside a woman's body, about periods, and how the baby grows. These are things that came up as she has grown. I told her that God takes a piece from the mom, and a piece from the dad, and puts them together inside the mom's belly to grow. The part I have yet to explain is exactly HOW the piece from the dad gets inside the mom! :eek:

I've been asking "feeler" questions, and I really don't think she knows about sex. You never know what they hear on the playground or the bus, but I don't think she knows.

We bought a book today about body changes and personal hygiene. The sex part is the part I just don't want to explain, bc I just KNOW she is going to ask questions about me & Daddy, and... EW! But it has to be done. I want her to feel free to bring up any topic to me, and I will answer in an open manner.

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Wait until marriage to tell her about sex?

6. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    That's pretty much where we are. She knows it can't be done without a 'Dad' but hasn't asked why. Phew. :thanks:

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    How's this: When a man and a woman love each other, they seek to become closer to one another. Once they are married, they place their private parts in each other's bodies to achieve incredible sensations...the pleasure that they feel is reflective of the happiness that they bring one another in life. When they do this, the egg inside the woman's body is fertilized by a fluid called sperm, which is given off by the man. 9 months later, a baby is born.

This might seem a bit awkward, but I'm just trying to give you some ideas.

Also, I'd suggest that you don't make a huge deal about her bodily changes. It tends to embarrass kids. Let her read the book on her own and tell her that you're open to any questions.

8. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    LOL! No...I was just assuming that you'd tell her to wait until she is married to have sex.

9. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Thanks for the suggestions, LL! :)

10. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I told both of my boys. The oldest was 10, the youngest a few months younger as he was asking questions.

First don't be or act embarrassed. If you behave that way, then they will definately pick up the vibe and wonder why. We've all gotten here the same way. It's God ordained. It should be treated as such.

And call the body parts by their correct names. You say private part and she might think boob, as they are private, too. It will confuse her.

Say a prayer and launch in. This is VERY important.
    Tell her you think she's becoming grown up enough to be told this. Let her know what you're about to tell her is a big responsibility.

When a man and & woman fall in love, they get married. And when that love grows they want to have a baby. When they are ready, they hug and they kiss and they snuggle. Then they take off their clothes. As they continue to hug and kiss, the daddy takes his penis and places it inside the momma's vagina. And that is how the baby is made. That's all.

She may have questions and then she may want to soak all this in. This is quite the shock. And expect her to laugh & be embarrassed. Let her, but not you. She will probably ask you if that's what you & her daddy did. Be truthful. Tell her this is something that she is to discuss with only you & her father. The other parents may not have told their children yet, and you don't want the other kids to be upset.
    You''ll be just fine.

P.S. I always kept the line of communication open with my boys. I told them that if they couldn't talk to me, who could they talk to. I was their mother.
    And believe me, some of the questions I've had to answer! :eek: But we've talked about the responsibility of sex, abortion, unplanned pregnancies, the list goes on.

There is also a book called 'What is happening to my body?' One for girls, one for boys. They are wonderful! In fact, you could get both of them. When your daughter gets older, it won't hurt her to know how a man's body works.