Study: further melting of Antarctic glacier half the size of Germany is 'irreversible

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Study: further melting of Antarctic glacier half the size of Germany is 'irreversible'

The 175,000km2 glacier - that’s about half as big as Germany - is responsible for draining a quarter of the West Antarctica ice sheet by itself, and regularly calves off huge icebergs into the Southern Ocean. The Natural Environment Research Council’s (NERC) British Antarctic Survey has found that it’s “retreating inland”, a sign that its melt is increasing. It’s bad news. Very bad.

study: Further melting of antarctic glacier half the size of germany is 'irreversible'

the 175,000km2 glacier - that’s about half as big as germany - is responsible for draining a quarter of the west antarctica ice sheet by itself, and regularly calves off huge icebergs into the southern ocean. The natural environment research council’s (nerc) british antarctic survey has found that it’s “retreating inland”, a sign that its melt is increasing. It’s bad news. Very bad.

BREAKING NEWS: Grade school education discovers that the earth is in an ice age which will end one day just like every ice age before it.

study: Further melting of antarctic glacier half the size of germany is 'irreversible'

the 175,000km2 glacier - that’s about half as big as germany - is responsible for draining a quarter of the west antarctica ice sheet by itself, and regularly calves off huge icebergs into the southern ocean. The natural environment research council’s (nerc) british antarctic survey has found that it’s “retreating inland”, a sign that its melt is increasing. It’s bad news. Very bad.

BREAKING NEWS: Grade school education discovers that the earth is in an ice age which will end one day just like every ice age before it.

What's your point? Are you trying to suggest that the warming we're experiencing is simply due to our exit from an ice age?

What's your point? Are you trying to suggest that the warming we're experiencing is simply due to our exit from an ice age?

Could be any number of things. Do you think it is so catastrophic as to destroy entire industries and along with it hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of jobs?

I would suggest that the warming we're experiencing is the result of a great many natural factors. Sure, it's possible that human activity is part of the equation. But there is no single all powerful mechanism that can be credited with the phenomena we are observing.

I'm afraid there IS a dominant cause. I'm also afraid that your refusal to take a position in order to remain some sort of moving target is becoming too obvious to be effective.

Could be any number of things. Do you think it is so catastrophic as to destroy entire industries and along with it hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of jobs?

I assume you're talking about the fossil fuel industry. Even had I the power, I would not shut them down tonight. Tomorrow is plenty soon ;-). No, I would phase them out slowly, over 15 to 20 years at least. Gives time for the maturation of alternative technologies. Petroleum and coal will still be needed as material sources for a large number of chemicals. I just want to stop burning the stuff.

I'm afraid there IS a dominant cause.

I already know you're afraid there's one. Your hysteria has robbed you of your ability to be rational about this entire issue. However, there is no actual proof of any one thing being a primary driver, and the very concept that any one thing would be a primary driver defies logic.

I'm also afraid that your refusal to take a position in order to remain some sort of moving target is becoming too obvious to be effective.

It's about time. You've finally reached a 5% understanding. You're still struggling quite a bit, it seems. So I'll give you a booster....

I only fully engage things that people say, which are worth engaging. As in, things that reflect a reasonably intelligent perspective, ask a question with honest inquisitiveness, etc. I'm less interested in what I think, because I already know what I think. I most enjoy discovering smart things going on inside other people's heads, and possibly (though on this board it's not likely) helping them discover perspectives they hadn't thought of either.

Consequently, I focus more on the merits of peoples' arguments. I address logical faults, I address factual inaccuracies. And I do so mostly without discrimination on whether I agree or disagree with their position or conclusions. Though admittedly, I am slightly more inclined to point out faults in a person's arguments when they express an opinion or position I agree with. Because I don't like for people to empower bad ideas by using bad reasoning to support the good ideas.

The reason I kept hammering away at you was because I actually thought you had the ability to get it and see your flawed logic and methodology in all of this. But after my recent thread I posted, I've now realized I was wrong.

Forum List

Back