Studies Say: Care for the environment? Go Veg!

I got bee killer in my eye once petroluem based killer, they dumped a liter of saline in my eye also. The chic holding my eye open had the longest nails which was the worst part. I had nail imprints around my eye for a day.

Don't forget to pee in the shower!

What?

Is that really so shocking and unreasonable? Do you think using less water is a bad thing? I've always thought it was a good thing - even before I started caring for the environment. Do you also think reusing plastic bags and glass jars is 'weird'? I'm gonna guess... you also think recycling is evil.

Whatever, people. Go on living your comfortable ignorant lives. It's just gonna be your kids having to pay for that attitude... But you're gonna be long gone by then (most probably with the heavy diet of pork and red meat) so why should you give a fuck.

No Neser.. I'm thinking that the idea of pissing on yourself or the same area that you are bathing in is the wierd part. I mean, we could also save lots of trees by using our left hand to wipe our own asses too but.. um...

I'm all for finding new ways to utilize recycled products but it's kinda silly to guilt trip people for not choosing to buy milk in a stinking, refilled carton.

Don't forget to pee in the shower!

What?

Is that really so shocking and unreasonable? Do you think using less water is a bad thing? I've always thought it was a good thing - even before I started caring for the environment. Do you also think reusing plastic bags and glass jars is 'weird'? I'm gonna guess... you also think recycling is evil.

Whatever, people. Go on living your comfortable ignorant lives. It's just gonna be your kids having to pay for that attitude... But you're gonna be long gone by then (most probably with the heavy diet of pork and red meat) so why should you give a fuck.

No Neser.. I'm thinking that the idea of pissing on yourself or the same area that you are bathing in is the wierd part. I mean, we could also save lots of trees by using our left hand to wipe our own asses too but.. um...

I'm all for finding new ways to utilize recycled products but it's kinda silly to guilt trip people for not choosing to buy milk in a stinking, refilled carton.

I'm sure you know urine is naturally sterile - it also kills fungus... therefore, unless you're having a urinary tract infection, there is no reason not to piss in your shower (while you're showering). I don't believe I tried to guilt-trip anyone into doing anything... It is a matter of fact that our wasteful way of living is going to be have to be dealt with by our children and people that simply couldn't give a fuck and have no problem expressing that publicly disgust me. Oh well, just an opinion, right?

I got bee killer in my eye once petroluem based killer, they dumped a liter of saline in my eye also. The chic holding my eye open had the longest nails which was the worst part. I had nail imprints around my eye for a day.

Oh God, I know that hurt.

I had an emergency c-section for an abruption with a tonic contraction, so not only was I hurting from the surgery but from the contraction too. The nurses were doing uterine massage afterward and it was so painful; finally one came in who did it right, massaging instead of bouncing up and down on my belly. Only problem was she had these LONG nails that kept digging into my fresh incision. I was gasping and couldn't tell her to watch the nails. Nowadays, most places have it in their dress code that nails can't extend past the fingertip. Sad they had to put something that sensible in writing.

A very interesting article speaking of the impact of going vegetarian on the environment...

washingtonpost.com

According to a 2006 United Nations report, livestock accounts for 18 percent of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. Some of meat's contribution to climate change is intuitive. It's more energy efficient to grow grain and feed it to people than it is to grow grain and turn it into feed that we give to calves until they become adults that we then slaughter to feed to people. Some of the contribution is gross. "Manure lagoons," for instance, is the oddly evocative name for the acres of animal excrement that sit in the sun steaming nitrous oxide into the atmosphere. And some of it would make Bart Simpson chuckle. Cow gas -- interestingly, it's mainly burps, not farts -- is a real player.

But the result isn't funny at all: Two researchers at the University of Chicago estimated that switching to a vegan diet would have a bigger impact than trading in your gas guzzler for a Prius (PDF). A study out of Carnegie Mellon University found that the average American would do less for the planet by switching to a totally local diet than by going vegetarian one day a week. That prompted Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, to recommend that people give up meat one day a week to take pressure off the atmosphere. The response was quick and vicious. "How convenient for him," was the inexplicable reply from a columnist at the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. "He's a vegetarian."

Now I have a real problem with this. Before we had a population exceeding one billion, about 1800, there were huge herds of bison and caribou in North America, Wildebeast and Cape Buffalo in Africa, Water Buffalo in Asia. Yet the methane level was less than half of what it is today. Everything I have read attributed the primary source of new methane to the raising of wetland rice until the mid-90s. Then the methane amount in the atmosphere leveled off until about 2007. Then it started to rise again. About the same time we noticed that the Arctic Ocean clathrates were beginning to outgas.

I'd love to eat vegetarian. Too bad cannibalism is illegal. I'd bet that people who don't eat meat taste really good.

Forum List

Back