Studies Say: Care for the environment? Go Veg!

Neser Boha

upgrade your gray matter
Mar 4, 2009
Nordic Bayou
A very interesting article speaking of the impact of going vegetarian on the environment...

washingtonpost.com

According to a 2006 United Nations report, livestock accounts for 18 percent of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. Some of meat's contribution to climate change is intuitive. It's more energy efficient to grow grain and feed it to people than it is to grow grain and turn it into feed that we give to calves until they become adults that we then slaughter to feed to people. Some of the contribution is gross. "Manure lagoons," for instance, is the oddly evocative name for the acres of animal excrement that sit in the sun steaming nitrous oxide into the atmosphere. And some of it would make Bart Simpson chuckle. Cow gas -- interestingly, it's mainly burps, not farts -- is a real player.

But the result isn't funny at all: Two researchers at the University of Chicago estimated that switching to a vegan diet would have a bigger impact than trading in your gas guzzler for a Prius (PDF). A study out of Carnegie Mellon University found that the average American would do less for the planet by switching to a totally local diet than by going vegetarian one day a week. That prompted Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, to recommend that people give up meat one day a week to take pressure off the atmosphere. The response was quick and vicious. "How convenient for him," was the inexplicable reply from a columnist at the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. "He's a vegetarian."

I've tried, it's too boring.

i hear you

My wife and I went vegetarian for a few years a while back, not vegan though. We still ate eggs and yogurt but yeah it got old fast.

But I will say that we do eat much less meat than we used to and we still opt for a vegetarian meal a couple or three nights a week.

Don't forget to pee in the shower!

What?

Is that really so shocking and unreasonable? Do you think using less water is a bad thing? I've always thought it was a good thing - even before I started caring for the environment. Do you also think reusing plastic bags and glass jars is 'weird'? I'm gonna guess... you also think recycling is evil.

Whatever, people. Go on living your comfortable ignorant lives. It's just gonna be your kids having to pay for that attitude... But you're gonna be long gone by then (most probably with the heavy diet of pork and red meat) so why should you give a fuck.

What?

Is that really so shocking and unreasonable? Do you think using less water is a bad thing? I've always thought it was a good thing - even before I started caring for the environment. Do you also think reusing plastic bags and glass jars is 'weird'? I'm gonna guess... you also think recycling is evil.

Whatever, people. Go on living your comfortable ignorant lives. It's just gonna be your kids having to pay for that attitude... But you're gonna be long gone by then (most probably with the heavy diet of pork and red meat) so why should you give a fuck.

lol ... slow your roll, neser. I was the one who posted the "pee in the shower thread" a few days ago. In no was I intending to make a mockery of your thread or anything ... I just think the showing peeing thing is funny in a toilet humor kinda way. Ya, dig?

What?

lol ... slow your roll, neser. I was the one who posted the "pee in the shower thread" a few days ago. In no was I intending to make a mockery of your thread or anything ... I just think the showing peeing thing is funny in a toilet humor kinda way. Ya, dig?
actually more people should pee in the shower, it kills the fungus underneath your toes and it is sterile. If you pee on your toes now you won't have the nasty toe nails when you are eighty.

actually more people should pee in the shower, it kills the fungus underneath your toes and it is sterile. If you pee on your toes now you won't have the nasty toe nails when you are eighty.

Rinsing your face with your first morning's pee is the best way to get rid of acne, I hear.

Rinsing your face with your first morning's pee is the best way to get rid of acne, I hear.
:lol:
no really when I took care of the elderly we had a pediatrist come in every week and he said if more of them pissed on their feet they wouldn't have a fungus problem under their toes.

That would be hard to do, but thanks for the tip ROFL

no really when I took care of the elderly we had a pediatrist come in every week and he said if more of them pissed on their feet they wouldn't have a fungus problem under their toes.

Well then I, for one, will begin peeing on my toes today!

BTW ...

How to Cure Acne - Urine Therapy

Not tryin' to be gross here but you can aim it ... sorta ... I've seen it done a time or two.

Every now and then I get a hankering for a steak--- and after a few bites I remember why I haven't had one for a while :lol:

same here....

though i do like the occasional hamburger.

Even then...

I'll eat a few bites and then *yuck*

But I do like veggie burgers. Mmmm.

I'm not much of a meat eater. Fish, yeah. Chicken, once in a while (though I loves me some good chicken salad). I could easily be a vegetarian. I mostly am already anyway :)

It's more taste preference than anything else. I couldn't go vegan 'cuz I like yogurt and cheeses. And honey.

Yes. I exploit the bees :(

you just have to stand strait up!:lol: or be drunk!
I remember peeing in the forest once at a kegger and I pissed all down my leg wasted. To cover it up I dumped a beer on my leg and told people I just spilled my beer.

Well then I, for one, will begin peeing on my toes today!

BTW ...

How to Cure Acne - Urine Therapy
Oh dear.

Ack.

On my first travel assignment, I had to file an employee incident report because this woman pissed in MY EYE.

Ewwwww.

And trust me, her pee wasn't sterile.

So, I go running out of the room and everyone is like "What's wrong????"

"She pissed in MY EYE!!!"

(chorus of gagging and 'ew gross!')

So my company tells me I have to go to the ER to get checked.

I get down there and my eye is all red and hanging out to *there* and the nurse says, "What happened!!!"

"She pissed in MY EYE!!!"

She gets a liter IV bag and attaches tubing with a freakin' suction cup at the end... and heads for MY EYE.

:eek:

She then places the freakin' suction cup ON MY EYE and proceed to open the clamp, poring cold saline directly on MY EYE. Holy crap!!!

I'm writhing on the stretcher, and she looks down (into my unassaulted eye) and asks sweetly, "Are you in pain?"

"HELL YEAH I'M IN PAIN!!! MY EYE!!!"

So now I can't see out of MY EYE, my head is throbbing and finally the resident comes over to examine me.

"So what happened?"

:evil:

"She pissed in MY EYE!"

He says (and I shit you not), "In wilderness survival training you're taught to wash wounds with urine because it's sterile!"

And smiles encouragingly.

Me = :evil:

"I know Richmond is a hellhole, but it's not the freakin' wilderness, this person's urine ISN'T sterile and she pissed in MY EYE!!!"

"Well, just watch it. If you notice a loss of vision or purulent drainage, come back to see us."

Dear Lord.

Forum List

Back