Student Loan Debt

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
NPR had a segment this morning on student loan debt. They interviewed several young adults about the impact that this mountain of debt will have on their futures. It is truly overwhelming when you consider all the ramifications of, say $50 thousand in debt at age 22 - all of which must be repaid with after-tax dollars.

Delayed marriage and children,
Delayed emancipation from parents,
Delayed home ownership or purchase of marginal housing,
Delayed start of savings for retirement,
Inability to make normal middle-class investments likes stocks, real estate.

A couple of the ones interviewed pointed out that at the time they were deciding to take on this debt they did not have the maturity or experience with money to comprehend what the debt would mean to their future lives.

It is not unusual to hear young people talking about having a "significant other" who is so loaded with student loan debt that they just can't see marrying the person and assuming responsibility for that debt - or even a portion of it.

And to remind those who may not be aware, you cannot have student loan debt discharged in bankruptcy, so the most common means of getting out from under massive debt is closed to you.

Much of the problem just comes back to college tuition being totally out of control. The colleges know that there are federal and state grants and loans, and private loans available, and they also know that if they make a good impression on the kids they will choose to go there, even if it is an insane choice financially.

When I started college I was on my own (as a 21 year old veteran), and to me it made no sense to do anything other than start out in the local community college. I knew I would get good grades there, and if I lined up my coursework with the University of Pittsburgh I could transfer all my credits. It worked out as planned. When I went to Pitt, I took 18 credits per semester (because the price was the same for 12 or more credits), and I worked full time, midnight shift, as a security guard. I got some VA money and a small grant from Pennsylvania, but I graduated with no debt. I went to law school at night (while working full time, of course), got my employer to pay a piece of it, and again graduated with no debt.

Even with everything that is being written about crushing student debt, I still see middle class kids heading off to God-awful expensive private colleges when the local state schools are just as good and half as much money. Not to pick on them, but I can't imagine why anyone would go to Duquesne University here in Pittsburgh, when Pitt is just as good and costs half as much. Because they like the feeling better? Are you kidding me?

In indulging these kids the parents are doing them a great disservice.

In my opinion, college tuition should be financed BY THE COLLEGES THEMSELVES. Then if the kids default on the loans, it's the ones at fault who suffer first.

Isn't it grand how the Federal Government has enticed gullible students into taking on such crushing debt, and then rigged the rules so bankrupt people are still on the hook for it?

Wanna know how to avoid massive student loans?

don't go
go when you can afford to pay
accept only grants and scholarships
Join the military, they will actually house, feed, cloth and pay you to go to school
take advantage of the GI bill, get paid,again, to go to school
research b4 you go. how much will it cost, is the field in demand, does it pay enough to cover the cost
Interns can earn college credits

but hey, be a moron, cry on libpr and demand taxpayers pony up even more so schools can ramp up the cost, so you can demand taxpayers pony up so schools can ramp up costs, so you can demand taxpayers.....

NPR had a segment this morning on student loan debt. They interviewed several young adults about the impact that this mountain of debt will have on their futures. right there you know this is biased. It is truly overwhelming when you consider all the ramifications of, say $50 thousand in debt at age 22 - all of which must be repaid with after-tax dollars.

Delayed marriage and children, yea right
Delayed emancipation from parents, aww
Delayed home ownership or purchase of marginal housing, aww
Delayed start of savings for retirement,aww
Inability to make normal middle-class investments likes stocks, real estate. :gives:

A couple of the ones interviewed pointed out that at the time they were deciding to take on this debt they did not have the maturity or experience with money to comprehend what the debt would mean to their future lives. And where were the parents? were they dumb as fuck as well?

It is not unusual to hear young people talking about having a "significant other" who is so loaded with student loan debt that they just can't see marrying the person and assuming responsibility for that debt - or even a portion of it. then they don't actually love that person

And to remind those who may not be aware, you cannot have student loan debt discharged in bankruptcy, so the most common means of getting out from under massive debt is closed to you. wow, sucks to have to be a responsible adult :lol:

Much of the problem just comes back to college tuition being totally out of control. The colleges know that there are federal and state grants and loans, and private loans available, and they also know that if they make a good impression on the kids they will choose to go there, even if it is an insane choice financially. well duh, colleges are on the dole, they know they can charge whatever and still get paid, even if the kids doesn't finish

When I started college I was on my own (as a 21 year old veteran), and to me it made no sense to do anything other than start out in the local community college. I knew I would get good grades there, and if I lined up my coursework with the University of Pittsburgh I could transfer all my credits. It worked out as planned. When I went to Pitt, I took 18 credits per semester (because the price was the same for 12 or more credits), and I worked full time, midnight shift, as a security guard. I got some VA money and a small grant from Pennsylvania, but I graduated with no debt. I went to law school at night (while working full time, of course), got my employer to pay a piece of it, and again graduated with no debt.you have to be 18 to sign up and do at least 4 years

Even with everything that is being written about crushing student debt, I still see middle class kids heading off to God-awful expensive private colleges when the local state schools are just as good and half as much money. Not to pick on them, but I can't imagine why anyone would go to Duquesne University here in Pittsburgh, when Pitt is just as good and costs half as much. Because they like the feeling better? Are you kidding me?

In indulging these kids the parents are doing them a great disservice. ya think?

In my opinion, college tuition should be financed BY THE COLLEGES THEMSELVES. Then if the kids default on the loans, it's the ones at fault who suffer first.

Another suggestion: do a cost benefit analysis of the degree program. IOW, don't take out $100K of debt for a major in Transgender Film Studies.

I just about puked this morning when I looked over the particulars of The Boston Conservatory. We'd love to have the daughter go there (she's been accepted and Award Letter sent), but OMG the cost.

I'm waiting on my insurance agent to show up to talk about borrowing against cash values. We'll see..

In indulging these kids the parents are doing them a great disservice.

Wanna fix the loan debt? Here's the solution (and it's simple):

QUIT GIVING PEOPLE COLLEGE LOANS

If you do this colleges will be forced to cut their costs due to massive enrollment drops (because no one in their right fucking mind can afford "15,000/yr + housing" to go to school), and all will be happy again.

The loans are driving up school prices. Colleges know that they can set the price tag anywhere and people will be able to "afford it" (or shall we say "pay it" at that moment). This is an incorrect way of going about things, and why we see education costs FAR EXCEED the rate of inflation.

Imagine a large corporate machine mobilized to get you to buy something you don't need at a tremendously inflated cost, complete with advertising, marketing, and branding that says you're not hip if you don't have one, but when you get one you discover it's of poor quality and obsolete in ten months. That's a BA.

Tuition has risen because the states stopped funding higher education. Fun filled fact.

Last edited:
The 1% can borrow money at very low interest but students can't.

Just another area where the working and poor classes support the wealthy.

Loans when I was in college had a 2% interest charge, one had a 1% interest rate, until Reagan took office and it hit 10%...

Loans when I was in college had a 2% interest charge, one had a 1% interest rate, until Reagan took office and it hit 10%...

Low education loan interest rates would be a great thing that could help, also I always wondered why they don't offer a sort of "pretax" loan repayment program. That would be very nice too.

But like I mentioned, these are just band aids to temporarily aid in the wound caused by the larger root problems.

When colleges know that there's not a huge barrier for charging $22k for tuition (because kids can get loans), you better believe they're going to charge $22k. Why wouldn't they? If students no longer had as free of access to loans, or could only get up to $7k per year - for instance - I'd guarantee you that colleges would be forced to lower costs. Very few individuals can reasonably afford to pay $15k out of pocket per year for school, and thus enrollment would drop dramatically.

Last edited:
Tuition has risen because the states stopped funding higher education. Fun filled fact.

There's more to it than that, though.

Cause and effect. Cause is the shift. The only people that do not recognize this are those that seek to make sure that there is no return to it.

But I don't think the primary culprit behind rising education costs is that the government is stopped funding higher education (which they definitely haven't completely). There are larger root issues.

example, U of Ark takes in more through fundraisers than is necessary for the funding of the college, yet fees continue to rise. The school thought it better if they hired more staff at a higher pay rate...

Forum List

Back