'Stray mortar' Hit UN Gaza School

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Sunni's op, , a very biased title leading to a propaganda piece, now moved to the 'Flame Zone' was from an article dated 1/9/09. Here is a more up-to-date discussion of the incident:

BBC NEWS | Middle East | 'Stray mortar' hit UN Gaza school

'Stray mortar' hit UN Gaza school
Israeli defence officials are now saying one of the deadliest recent incidents in Gaza, when a UN school was bombed, was caused by a stray mortar.

The attack killed about 40 Palestinian civilians sheltering at the Fakhura school in Jabaliya on Tuesday.

Initially, Israeli officials accused Hamas of firing from the school and using civilians as "human shields"....

...Quoted by Haaretz newspaper on Sunday, the army said Hamas militants had fired from near the school - rather than within it - and its troops responded with three mortars.

Two were accurate, the army claimed, but one landed 30 metres off target. It was that mortar that caused the carnage at Fakhura school, the army said.

The statement was made anonymously to the media because the investigation had not yet been made public by the military, Haaretz and news agencies reported.

'Cynical'

The dropping of the defence that Hamas mortars had come from within the school compound may cause some embarrassment to Israel in what has been a high profile incident.

The initial "human shield" claim was made forcefully after the killings by the military, politicians and many supporters of Israel.

"Hamas cynically uses civilians as human shields," the military said in its initial statement, and later it went as far as naming two well-known Hamas militants among those killed at the school.

Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev called the incident "a very extreme example of how Hamas operates".

It is not clear what credibility the change of position will be given by observers.

Two days after the incident, a UN spokesman said the Israeli army, in private meetings with diplomats, had admitted that the mortar fire came from outside the school compound and not from within it - but this was not confirmed by Israeli officials....

Sunni's article actually proved to me that if Israel had purposely hit the building they had every right as the UN admitted it had been taken over by militants in 2007 and was no longer was run by the UN.

But this is even better.

It looks to me like the matter is undecided. From the article:

"The UN has called for an independent investigation and for criminal charges to follow if culpability is discovered.

It is not clear what credibility the change of position will be given by observers.
Two days after the incident, a UN spokesman said the Israeli army, in private meetings with diplomats, had admitted that the mortar fire came from outside the school compound and not from within it - but this was not confirmed by Israeli officials.
Palestinian doctors say 879 Palestinians have been killed since the Israeli offensive - to stamp out rocket fire by Gaza militants - began on 27 December.
Norwegian doctors in Gaza's main hospital said about half the casualties they have seen are civilians. Thirteen Israelis - 10 soldiers and three civilians - have died during the offensive."

Last edited:
Now they are saying.

Israel changes it's tune as of late more times then the number of blind supporters of Israel on this board. And that's saying something. This is their 2nd change, 3rd story on the same topic.
wrong, as usual
but you know everything

:lol:

Now they are saying.

Israel changes it's tune as of late more times then the number of blind supporters of Israel on this board. And that's saying something. This is their 2nd change, 3rd story on the same topic.

YOu didn't notice the part where some of the victims who were interviewed stated that they saw paramilitary personnel in the vicinity?

Now they are saying.

The thing that seems strange to me is that, though it is important to know if this was an intended bombing or a stray mortar, either way 40 civilians seeking shelter were brutally killed.

Sometimes I just can't believe that as far advanced as civilization is, we humans still fight and kill each other like ignorant cavemen.

YOu didn't notice the part where some of the victims who were interviewed stated that they saw paramilitary personnel in the vicinity?

Well according to people like DiveCon, you can't trust one source since they are all liars.

I'm following Israel's words:

Israel: Hamas mortars prompted attack near U.N. school - CNN.com

The Israel Defense Forces said a mortar-firing operation and a pair of prominent Hamas operatives -- Imad Abu Askhar and Hassan Abu Askhar -- were at the occupied school hit Tuesday. The two were among the Hamas militants killed in the strike, an IDF statement said

Now of course this:

BBC NEWS | Middle East | 'Stray mortar' hit UN Gaza school

Quoted by Haaretz newspaper on Sunday, the army said Hamas militants had fired from near the school - rather than within it - and its troops responded with three mortars.

Two were accurate, the army claimed, but one landed 30 metres off target. It was that mortar that caused the carnage at Fakhura school, the army said.

People on this board were fuckin proud when Israel hit the school, defending Israel all the way with the words "Hamas is using their civilians as a protective vest".

As if that makes it okay all of a sudden to bomb the living fuck out of civilians. :cuckoo:

Now, Israel says they fucked up; backtracked and said they were right but a mortar was off-target. Instead of admitting you know, they bombed a school full of innocents; they continue to lie.

But why in the fuck should Israel invade? I mean really, dropping artillery on innocent schools and houses full of civilians will surely get rid of all those hamas leaders! :rolleyes: :cuckoo:

Don't any of you Israel supporters know the way to win a war? You cannot win a war by simply bombing a country into submission.

You have to commit troops to the ground level at some point. Which I want to see Israel do to defend itself, rather then kill massive amounts of innocents with their artillery.

I am by far not on the side of Sunni Man despite the fact he agrees with me here. I'm simply stating that Israel has lied; continued to lie; and continues to change it's tune as the way of the wind goes.

And of course, shit like this doesn't help Israel either:

Israel's Olmert says Rice embarrassed over UN resolution vote; US disputes his account - 1/12/2009 5:12:09 PM | Newser

Last edited:
The thing that seems strange to me is that, though it is important to know if this was an intended bombing or a stray mortar, either way 40 civilians seeking shelter were brutally killed.

Sometimes I just can't believe that as far advanced as civilization is, we humans still fight and kill each other like ignorant cavemen.

Because if it was intended bombing, then Israel knew what the fuck it was doing.

Forum List

Back