Stopping the Oil Leak

Gremlin-USA

<<< Me in 1970
May 20, 2010
Gremlinville, USA
Could stopping the oil leak be this easy?

I was looking at the photos of the oil leak and until recently the pics never showed the clarity of the leak till when they cut the pipe a few days ago.

A few feet from the cut I saw a bolted connection point, my question is why can they not unbolt the connection and bolt on a Check Valve and then turn the wheel and shut off the oil?

Valve.jpg

I have seen these used before.

The same robots that installed the original piping and connections can install this and then turn the wheel till the valve closes.

This seems too easy of a fix, or is this too simple in the idea to fix the problem or is everyone only concerned with difficlt solutions?

Thoughts?

Maybe this will give you a clearer picture of what they're dealing with.

• Installing a Lower Marine Riser Package (LMRP) Cap is a containment option for collecting the flow of oil from the MC252 well. The LMRP is the top half of the blow out preventer (BOP) stack.
  • The installation procedure first involves removing the damaged riser from the top of the BOP.
  • A remote operated hydraulic shear will be used to make two initial cuts and then that section will be removed by crane. A diamond wire saw will then be placed to cut the pipe close to the LMRP and the final damaged piece of riser will be removed.
  • The LMRP Cap is designed to seal on top of the riser stub. The seal will decrease the potential of inflow of seawater as well as improve the efficiency of oil recovery. Lines carrying methanol also are connected to the device to help stop hydrate formation.
  • The device will be connected to a riser extending from the Discoverer Enterprise drillship.
  • The LMRP Cap is on site, and it is anticipated that this option would be available for deployment by the end of May.
Riser_Removal_large.jpg

Containment_Contingency_Option_large.jpg

Forum List

Back