stocks-fall-nearly-450 points

And that surprises you how exactly? Every economist in the world has been predicting this for the last 2-3 years. Gee....I just can't imagine why investors would have "confidence" in this country right now......

• Banned
Maybe as much as 30 to 40 cents down at the pump by Christmas for Americans

Destabilized markets are not very reassuring

Why would there be a lack of liquidity? Is the report saying there just weren't any buyers at the price sellers were asking for specific stocks? This morning, cnbc was attributing the drop to slower growth in Europe and recent retail sales and PPI in the US.

Congress and Presidency, both parties: all are equally liable for this mess.

Could this be the crash many have predicted?

Moved my money today.

Why would there be a lack of liquidity? Is the report saying there just weren't any buyers at the price sellers were asking for specific stocks? This morning, cnbc was attributing the drop to slower growth in Europe and recent retail sales and PPI in the US.
I would be very careful about believing anything you hear on CNBC.

What mess? There's slow growth, declining unemployment, deficits/gnp falling, no inflation. Europe may be stalled out, and in part because of Putin, but its sure not 2008

Moved my play funds at the end of August, I think, maybe early September.

The rest, of course, is the Armand Hammer motto of "I am in it for the long run." Mr. Hammer was my father-in-law's boss for a number of years, and he said Mr. Hammer had an incredible nose for the markets, and his biggest attribute was not to be afraid of the markets.

Last edited:
Liquidity nightmare blamed for crazy market moves

Liquidity nightmare blamed for crazy market moves

Some of those "crazy market moves" are the result of stock trading being nearly completely automated now. It's all algorithms with lives of their own, dumping stocks when certain protocols are met, making matters worse. Any day now, they will become sentient. :D

Practically all of the causes of the 2008 crash still exist. There has been almost no action done about them.

Hedge funds are still way over-leveraged, as is the rest of the financial services industry. This has been exacerbated by the Fed's printing of money and ZIRP.

Ironically, when the stock market sneezes, they all run into government bonds, thus driving down yields even more.

I expect in the next few days we are going to hear the ECB announcing some sort of plan which will result in more Euros being printed. The stock market will rejoice.

It could go either way. Don't be one of those assholes who secretly wishes everything goes to shit just so you can be proven right as the world goes over the cliff.

If it gets bad, it is going to get very, very bad. There is no Too Big To Fail any more, kids. We are looking at Too Big To Save, and that is infinitely worse.

So you better hope we pull it out.

I would be very careful about believing anything you hear on CNBC.
ah, it depends. On their specific analysis, it's all bs. Still, overall, its forecast on growth

"You couple this (weak data) with fears about the spread of Ebola, with the recent downtrend and what we had today, the mindset has been a flight to safety and cash is certainly a safe place to be in," said Andre Bakhos, managing director at Janlyn Capital LLC in Bernardsville, New Jersey.
Flight from risk resulted in a massive rally in U.S. Treasuries, pushing the 10-year note's yield as low as 1.865 percent, its lowest since May 2013. Declining bond yields and sharp moves in U.S. federal funds futures contracts showed investors now believe the U.S. Federal Reserve is unlikely to raise rates in 2015.

Stocks slump bonds rally as global growth fears mount - Yahoo Finance
but the liquidity thing in the OP caught my attention. That's what started the credit meltdown in 08. Nobody wanted to buy anything, so prices ... deflated. THAT is very dangerous. I don't see any reason today for there to be credit meltdown. Now IF the link was just saying "sellers of Disney asked Xdollars/share but got no takers until they came down to Xdollary-y/share, then I'd believe that, no problem. Blood on the street and people dumping shite for no good reason at prices not rationally set. Markets are not rational, and neither are investors. Stiglitz taught us that. (-:

Forum List

Back