Stock Portfolio Performance for 2023

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Every year in January I (my wife and I) have a nice little meeting with our financial "Professionals."

Part of the meeting is when they try to give us a warm, fuzzy feeling by telling us that our portfolio has been specifically designed for someone in our specific situation (both in our 70's), with our best interest the focus. (Our balances generally follow the Dow, coincidentally).

This year, I'm going to make the following pitch to them:

Guys, the entire financial world expects the stock market to take a serous dip this year, the only question being, How bad? If you converted our entire portfolio to cash (or cash equivalent) right now, we would have this meeting next year and the value of the portfolio would be about the same as it is now - cash interest earnings minus our minimum withdrawals.

So if we come back here next year and our balance is LOWER than it is today, you are fired. Because your strategy couldn't even match DOING NOTHING. So don't even try to tell me next year that even though our portfolio is lower, "We out-performed the market."

What do you think?

Every year in January I (my wife and I) have a nice little meeting with our financial "Professionals."

Part of the meeting is when they try to give us a warm, fuzzy feeling by telling us that our portfolio has been specifically designed for someone in our specific situation (both in our 70's), with our best interest the focus. (Our balances generally follow the Dow, coincidentally).

Guys, the entire financial world expects the stock market to take a serous dip this year, the only question being, How bad? If you converted our entire portfolio to cash (or cash equivalent) right now, we would have this meeting next year and the value of the portfolio would be about the same as it is now - cash interest earnings minus our minimum withdrawals.

So if we come back here next year and our balance is LOWER than it is today, you are fired. Because your strategy couldn't even match DOING NOTHING. So don't even try to tell me next year that even though our portfolio is lower, "We out-performed the market."

What do you think?
Fired?
How about putting a clause in the contract that they have to cover your total losses?

No, the "entire financial world" does not "expect" the stock market to "take a serious dip this year". Being in it, I can assure you of that.

There may be a recession, but damage to markets may be (may be) mitigated by falling interest rates that would be associated with the recession. Tech stocks, for example, would love that and could theoretically buoy markets as a result.

In reality, no one knows, no one ever knows, and anyone who claims to know is entirely full of shit.

:rolleyes:

What do you think?
I feel bad for them. They have devoted their lives to finance to help people earn more money, but the country had transitioned into a Marxist one with no financial future.

Their only other option is to find work in a country dedicated to destroying jobs and opportunity.

I went cash finally two months ago .

Expect to make a fortune after the crash when I raid the basement prices .

Probably will put at least 50% in Silver as commodities will go through the roof and Silver at current $24 will reach three figures quickly and some savvy people make a logical case for upside of $500 .
Short term the price could ride with the market and as that crashes it would go sub $20 imho .Then pounce .

I went cash finally two months ago .

Expect to make a fortune after the crash when I raid the basement prices .

Probably will put at least 50% in Silver as commodities will go through the roof and Silver at current $24 will reach three figures quickly and some savvy people make a logical case for upside of $500 .
Short term the price could ride with the market and as that crashes it would go sub $20 imho .Then pounce .
My guess is the Left will find a way to devalue commodities like silver as well, since they know that is the direction their opposition is heading.

My guess is the Left will find a way to devalue commodities like silver as well, since they know that is the direction their opposition is heading.
Might depend on whether the WEF decide to leave fiat forever and also whether they let markets crash as far as possible to minimise US etc debts and obligations .
But whatever games they try to use , there will have to be a bartering/lending standard and that standard must have an agreed underlying value .
Gold , Silver .
imho

What do you think?

I think it is very short sighted plan. Unless you are living off the money right now, buying more stocks during the "serious dip" is how you make money in the market over the long term.

Yeah, at the end of 2023 my portfolio might have lost value compare to your cash, but over the next 10 years those extra shares purchased will make up for it 10 fold.

What do you think?
If you convert your entire portfolio to cash you will have to pay taxes on anything not in a Qualified retirement account.

What do you think?
Smart move.
I advise pulling your stock investments and investing in NFTs
You can’t possibly lose.

1672587388911.jpeg

Half of my portfolio is in cash. 1/4 of the remaining 1/2 is invested in a single stock that has been a high performer all of 2022, not losing value, but appreciating in value. The remaining 1/4 of my portfolio is going to absolutely skyrocket in value over the next 2-5 years. What everyone needs is a long term portion of your portfolio, around 20-25%, that you won't touch and can wait for growth, while you have some in cash and other blue chip stocks that may dip, but will remain overall consistent.

I'm debating going with a financial advisor, but he wants 1.2%, and I've already told him half of my holdings are not to be touched. Do I trust him to invest a portion of my cash holdings? Only if what he invests will return me 1.2% of my portfolio value, which is not a high bar. I should therefore not pay him anything if he is doing his job, and we both win.

Investing is a gamble....
So is breathing .

Learn the difference between Investing and Trading and their separate benefits in defined situations .

You might invest . I mainly trade .
Me winner . Only you know what you are.

Might depend on whether the WEF decide to leave fiat forever and also whether they let markets crash as far as possible to minimise US etc debts and obligations .
But whatever games they try to use , there will have to be a bartering/lending standard and that standard must have an agreed underlying value .
Gold , Silver .
imho
Revelation may give us insight

You must have a "mark" on your right hand or forehead to buy and sell.

Anything else is illegal.

So let's say you have silver, how will you sell it without "the mark"?

And "the mark" will probably have all of your medical info and vaccinations as well, and without them, won't be able to get "the mark" Their political opposition won't get "the mark".

Easy Peasy.

Revelation may give us insight

You must have a "mark" on your right hand or forehead to buy and sell.

Anything else is illegal.

So let's say you have silver, how will you sell it without "the mark"?

And "the mark" will probably have all of your medical info and vaccinations as well, and without them, won't be able to get "the mark" Their political opposition won't get "the mark".

Easy Peasy.
That is the nightmare scenario .
Trust I will have made my final million in the next 18 months ( worst forecast) .
This should surely mean that I have kept ahead of the "dead"line .

Forum List

Back