Still eat seafood? Don't.

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
60 Percent of Shrimp Contaminated With Bacteria

"But a new analysis by Consumer Reports finds up to 60 percent of shrimp sold in the U.S. may contain harmful bacteria — including the superbug MRSA and E. coli.

Among the findings:

* Bacterial residues were found on more than half the raw samples (60 percent) tested — including salmonella, E. coli and listeria.
* In seven raw shrimp samples, scientists detected the antibiotic-resistant superbug Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, which can cause dangerous infections.
* Illegal antibiotic residues were present on 11 samples.
* The fish packages were purchased at Albertsons, Costco, Fry’s Marketplace, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Sprouts Farmers Market, and Walmart in 27 cities across the U.S.

The magazine’s editors noted that every American eats an average of almost four pounds or shrimp per year, making it more popular than tuna. That’s about three times more shrimp than Americans consumed in the 1970s."

For the same reason I don't eat things out of my toilet bowl, I haven't eaten seafood since a child (who didn't know any better.)

Shouldn't eat anything from the ocean in this day and age. With the orca thread earlier I noted that the main killed of orcas in the wild isn't another animal, it's toxins from human pollution. Most everything in the ocean now has these toxins to various degrees, many of them things people eat. Is no toxin-free versions, simply less-fucked up than others versions. And because like radiation, exposure is cumulative, no exposure is "safe."

Hard to figure those figures -- I eat way more tuna than shrimp.

Oh you're talking about food...

Hard to figure those figures -- I eat way more tuna than shrimp.

Oh you're talking about food...

Most mercury contamination comes from tuna. Isn't the most contaminated fish, but because Americans eat so much tuna, that's the primary source for at least mercury contamination.

agree GT , eat as much as you like , concerning bacteria , cook it correctly and you'll be all right . Might be a problem with raw but I don't eat 'bait' . Mercury and other contaminants , never bothered me in all my time and I'm long in the tooth !!

And its not as though we have known, for many generations now, the effects of poisoning our oceans.

flam2991.jpg

Minamata The Story of the Poisoning of a City - Documenting Medicine A Program for Physicians

The Poisoning of Minamata

I eat a little tuna but that's about it. I quit eating bottom feeders long ago, oysters, clams, flounder, etc. But I've backed way off meat in general these days and mostly eat plant based foods.

...but I love seafood. :crybaby:lol

I will not stop eating salmon. I only buy wild caught and rinse it well.

...and that's right we cook it.

I love sushi but don't really eat it anymore. Heard too many horror stories about ti.

I don't eat tuna or shrimp. I can't stand the smell of tuna and I'm allergic to shellfish.

And besides, I always treat any raw meat as if it has harmful bacteria on it.

I must confess though that I do eat some veggies. I have lettuce on my BLTs (no tomato) and my subs, I put onion and pickles on my cheeseburgers, and there is tomato sauce on my pizza.

And I will eat a wedge salad when I can find them. Bacon, blue cheese, eggs, yum!

Had this beauty last week! The Donut Burger from Teak Bar and Grille, with a glass of Shock Top and a side of sweet tater tots!

Why would you want to live to 100 if you can't eat that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.5 KB · Views: 54
60 Percent of Shrimp Contaminated With Bacteria

"But a new analysis by Consumer Reports finds up to 60 percent of shrimp sold in the U.S. may contain harmful bacteria — including the superbug MRSA and E. coli.

Among the findings:

* Bacterial residues were found on more than half the raw samples (60 percent) tested — including salmonella, E. coli and listeria.
* In seven raw shrimp samples, scientists detected the antibiotic-resistant superbug Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, which can cause dangerous infections.
* Illegal antibiotic residues were present on 11 samples.
* The fish packages were purchased at Albertsons, Costco, Fry’s Marketplace, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Sprouts Farmers Market, and Walmart in 27 cities across the U.S.

The magazine’s editors noted that every American eats an average of almost four pounds or shrimp per year, making it more popular than tuna. That’s about three times more shrimp than Americans consumed in the 1970s."

For the same reason I don't eat things out of my toilet bowl, I haven't eaten seafood since a child (who didn't know any better.)

You do realize that the average toilet bowl is cleaner than the fountain pop machine at your average fast food joint, right?

Forum List

Back