Stick vs. Automatic, Revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DGS49, May 29, 2017.

1. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,709
    WTF. Are you crazy?

2. Muhammed

Muhammed Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    The two vehicles I drive the most are a mid 70s era Chevy truck with a manual transmission and an 80s era Dodge conversion van with an automatic. After a bit of experimentation I have the truck geared just the way I like it. The van is all about comfort and having a love nest on wheels.

3. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,318
    My wife recently purchased a new (demo) 3-series Beemer (330i X-Drive GT, to be specific).

The 4-banger turbo (248 HP) is coupled with an 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode. There are few situations that warrant moving to "Sport" or manual shifting. Certainly, the computer can decide when is the best time to shift for hard acceleration. A hard drive on a winding country road would be ideal for the manual-shifting/Sport option, but that doesn't come up much.

The relatively low compression and small displacement of the engine discourages using the engine to slow the car on long downhills - it really makes uncomfortable sounds when used in this way.

Stick would be much more gooder. Even my wife agrees. I doubt that we could have found the same car with a stick.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    Just the opposite. I love my MX 5s 6-speed manual on the hilly areas that are plentiful around here.

Dunno how long this feature's been around but in mine it's called HLA, hill launch assist. When stopped at a sign or light, either up or down hill, when you take your foot off the brake for the gas the car won't roll. The brake stays engaged until you begin to release the clutch and get on the gas. A very cool and much needed feature for stick shift.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,978
    Not needed, or new: Studebaker had it in the 50s.

6. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    But preferred, for me anyway. Studes may have had it in the 50s, but I've owned a lot of stick cars over the years that didn't offer such a feature.

7. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,013
    I love driving a stick when I get to actually DRIVE. But living in Atlanta, the traffic is terrible. I like an automatic when I'm in traffic. I go to the gym for my leg workouts.

8. Slash

Slash Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I flip between. I've got a truck with an automatic and had one with a manual in the past and especially when towing, love the automatic.

Used to be stick shift only, but that was because you got more gears and unless you had a crapload of torque it performed a lot worse. I'd still say in a sports car I'd prefer a stick but looking at myself I'm not even listening to that.

I had a 2010 Camaro SS with an Automatic so the wife could also drive it (she can drive stick just not well), and got a Hellcat Charger last year which has that big automatic in it (4 doors honey it's practical). Honestly I am starting to lean just a bit towards them as the technology improves.

Still in cars that I've taken to the track (twisty ones) they've all had to be stick. Miata, Mazdaspeed3, Integra's long ago, WRX..

9. AVISSSER

AVISSSER VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    That's the point of it all.