Stick Shifts - a Rant

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have been a faithful reader of car magazines, and a driver of high-performance cars for decades (subscribed to Car & Driver while I was in Vietnam in 1969), and there is a Thing going on right now that find quite disturbing.

All the high end sports cars are coming now almost exclusively with automatic transmissions. Of course they try like hell not to describe them as "automatic transmissions," but it is what it is. I'm talking about the top-level Porsches, Mercedes, BMW's, Jag's, and Audi's. Cadillac and Corvette are making 6 and 7 speed sticks available, but they are rarely available at your local store.

The justification appears to be that the latest technology makes today's automatics superior in performance to even what the most skilled drivers could accomplish with a stick.

So what?

If you are owning and driving a sports car, you at least theoretically want to be involved with the process of squeezing out the best performance from the engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, and so forth. With stability control, traction control, ABS, 295mm tires, and now these super-slushboxes, any asshole with a fat wallet can drive a 911 like a maniac without much fear of getting into trouble.

It's reaching the point where fewer and fewer cars will give the driver the experience of using his own skills to maximize the performance of the car. At least Mazda gets it.

My 350Z is a blast to drive, but if someone offered me a trade for the same car with an automatic, I'd rather walk.

I like REAL sticks because I like the interaction with my car/truck or whatever. Those 7 speed auto trans I think are just so those cars can meet EPA and fuel standards. Just a guess.

I buy five on the floor stick shifts and have for a long time.

Easier on the engine, smoother in transition, and cheaper on gas.

Not any more. Many automatic transmissions (especially a DSG) can match or best a manual in fuel mileage.

Much as I love manual transmissions, I have pretty much accepted I might never own another.

LOL take a car like the Hellcat, it is quicker, and gets better gas mileage with the 8 speed automatic than with the 6 speed manual.

Tradition says stick shift, but reality says a DSG is light years better in EVERY aspect.

My cars still make higher thirties to low forties on the road per gallon, so I will stay with them.

LOL take a car like the Hellcat, it is quicker, and gets better gas mileage with the 8 speed automatic than with the 6 speed manual.

Tradition says stick shift, but reality says a DSG is light years better in EVERY aspect.

Until it breaks and you discover the only source for a replacement is the dealer!

Until it breaks and you discover the only source for a replacement is the dealer!

That's a fair point, but most of them out there are still under warranty, and as the DSG transmissions are becoming more common, indy shops are learning to work on them.

My brother was once asked why he always bought manual shift vehicles.

His reply: "It gives me something to do while I'm driving". :lol:

The thing I hate the most about stick shifts....beer nuts.
Huh?

My first was a '66 Beetle.
Then a '77 Fiat 128.
Then a '79 Wabbit.
Then an '88 S-10.
Then an '07 Tundra.

You some kinda rookie?
You always spill beer in your crotch when off roading....

I don't dispute that from a rational transportation standpoint, the auto's are "better." They perform better and get equal or better fuel economy.

But the purpose of a SPORTS CAR is not transportation. It can be used for transportation, but other vehicles do a much better job of transporting you and your people/stuff from place to place - comfort, utility, features, capacity to carry several people, and so on.

The purpose of a SPORTS CAR is to involve the driver in the experience of operating the vehicle for optimum performance. If you want simplicity and economy, buy a Camry.

My brother-in-law used to work for GM, and he was once driving a Corvette with an automatic trans, in which the transmission casing was made of magnesium. (Never made it into production). I drove it and it drove fine, but WGAS? With an automatic it isn't a sports car.

My truck is an automatic, and my wife gave up the stick a few years ago when she started commuting in heavy traffic every day. But my cars are, and almost always have been, sticks. I can't even imagine why someone would buy a 911 with a slushbox.

only 3% of drivers drive sticks now......i hate autos.....but am renting an auto for road trip ....lots of driving on highways and then the city....in the snow....i want my stick

Will be making a 1400 mile trip from Austin to SLC in a month or so.

Want my stick.

I don't dispute that from a rational transportation standpoint, the auto's are "better." They perform better and get equal or better fuel economy.

But the purpose of a SPORTS CAR is not transportation. It can be used for transportation, but other vehicles do a much better job of transporting you and your people/stuff from place to place - comfort, utility, features, capacity to carry several people, and so on.

The purpose of a SPORTS CAR is to involve the driver in the experience of operating the vehicle for optimum performance. If you want simplicity and economy, buy a Camry.

My brother-in-law used to work for GM, and he was once driving a Corvette with an automatic trans, in which the transmission casing was made of magnesium. (Never made it into production). I drove it and it drove fine, but WGAS? With an automatic it isn't a sports car.

My truck is an automatic, and my wife gave up the stick a few years ago when she started commuting in heavy traffic every day. But my cars are, and almost always have been, sticks. I can't even imagine why someone would buy a 911 with a slushbox.

DSGs are NOT slushboxes. There is part of the problem right there. People don't understand the terminology.

Yes, they are different from a conventional manual transmission, but they CAN be shifted so that you get that more involved feel. But they can also be placed in fully automatic mode when you want.

And no clutch. Well, there's a clutch but it is computer controlled and no pedal.

You've never driven a DSG equipped car, that's obvious.

Forum List

Back