Stephen Hawking hospitalized, reported very ill

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Stephen Hawking hospitalized, reported very ill

LONDON – Stephen Hawking, the British mathematician and physicist famed for his work on black holes, was rushed to a hospital Monday and was seriously ill, Cambridge University said. Hawking has been fighting a chest infection for several weeks and was being treated at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge, the university city northeast of London, the university said.

"Professor Hawking is very ill," said Gregory Hayman, the university's head of communications. "He is undergoing tests. He has been unwell for a couple of weeks."

Later in the afternoon, Hayman said Hawking was "now comfortable but will be kept in hospital overnight."

The illness had caused Hawking to cancel an appearance at Arizona State University on April 6.

Hawking, 67, gained renown for his work on black holes, and has remained active despite being diagnosed at 21 with ALS, (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), an incurable degenerative disorder also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

What a struggle his life has been. How much he has given the world...

I will wish for him to get well and hope he does. Either that or he soon passes to explore the great universe he helped us all understand better without the confines he has had to live with.

Thank you for posting this Sarah, I had no idea. I remember buying his " A Brief History of Time" for a boyfriend, but I loved it so much I kept it for myself.

And of course, Mr. Hawking was on "The Simpsons"-making him one cool nerd! :cool:

Thank you for posting this Sarah, I had no idea. I remember buying his " A Brief History of Time" for a boyfriend, but I loved it so much I kept it for myself.

And of course, Mr. Hawking was on "The Simpsons"-making him one cool nerd! :cool:

I just heard it on the nightly news.

:lol: Yes he is a cool nerd..

I will wish for him to get well and hope he does. Either that or he soon passes to explore the great universe he helped us all understand better without the confines he has had to live with.

He was only 21 when he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's. He's 67 now. That's rough.

He was only 21 when he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's. He's 67 now. That's rough.

Very rough. He's a trooper, in spite of all the problems he has faced he still did so much for science.

But thank God for medical breakthroughs that has kept him going all these years! :clap2:

Very rough. He's a trooper, in spite of all the problems he has faced he still did so much for science.

Oh yeah. In recent years, he has reminded me of just one big brain.

But thank God for medical breakthroughs that has kept him going all these years! :clap2:

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all. - Stephen Hawking

Is that all? :)

The man is one of the true giants of science.

i hope he can recover.

Brief History of Time is one of my favorite books.

Earlier this evening, when I saw that he was hospitalized, I wished him a speedy recovery. Then I wondered if he would choose to recover.

Given that he hasn't yet figured out all of the secrets of the universe, I suspect he'd prefer to deal with his physical adversity here on earth.

I wonder if he believes in God.

Self described atheist last I heard.

And yet Brief History of Time and the big bang as he describes it, dovetails perfectly with the bible... if you don't take it literally and only as allegory.

Doesn't mean he was a christian, believed in all of the christian bible, or that he believed in a deity of any sort. I wouldn't doubt if he was just one of those "don't rule out any possibility" type people.

Self described atheist last I heard.

And yet Brief History of Time and the big bang as he describes it, dovetails perfectly with the bible... if you don't take it literally and only as allegory.

Doesn't mean he was a christian, believed in all of the christian bible, or that he believed in a deity of any sort. I wouldn't doubt if he was just one of those "don't rule out any possibility" type people.

oh.. .i wasn't implying he's a christian at all or had any religion whatsoever. it was just something that struck me when i read the book.

Someone mentioned he was a true geek, well he appeared as himself in Star trek TNG:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O31qRH3O6c[/ame]

oh.. .i wasn't implying he's a christian at all or had any religion whatsoever. it was just something that struck me when i read the book.

Oh. My bad.

Yeah, he has theories on the possibility of deities, creators, or other such hands which could possibly have altered the course of the world but he wouldn't believe in anything without solid proof.

Hawking set to recover from chest infection
Cosmologist hospitalized for illness he'd been suffering for weeks

LONDON - The family of physicist Stephen Hawking expects him to recover fully from a chest infection that has left him hospitalized, Cambridge University said Tuesday.

Hawking "was being kept in observation" at Addenbrooke's hospital after being admitted Monday.

"He is comfortable and his family is looking forward to him making a full recovery," Cambridge said in a statement.

Hawking set to recover from chest infection - Science- msnbc.com

Good News!

Forum List

Back