Statistics on US Presidents and Executive Orders

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
executive-order.jpg

This pretty much puts the whole "Imperial" thing to rest:

lk19y23fz97dmj0exvn8.jpg

GOP Slams ?Imperial? Obama After Fewest Executive Orders In 100 Years (CHART)

Until now, President Obama has issued 168 executive orders. That makes for less than 0.1 order per day in office. You can see it at the graph above.

Here the exact numbers:

List of United States federal executive orders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obama and the last five presidents before:

Obama (to-date): 168
Bush, Jr: 291 (over 8 years)
Clinton: 364 (over 8 years)
Bush, Sr. 166 (over four years)
Reagan: 381 (over 8 years)
Carter: 320 (over 4 years)

You can see that in the first 50 years of the twentieth century, Presidents issued considerably more EO's. Starting with Eisenhower, that trend lessened.

Another member (I think it was Amelia) made a good point on another thread, namely, that Obama is about 60% through his full tenure in office and when you extrapolate his current number of EOs out to eight years, he would likely end up with as many EO's as his predecessor, George W. Bush, Jr.:

5 / 8 = 62.5%
168 / 0.625 = 268.8, or 269 EOs.

But both of these gentlemen, Obama AND Bush, Jr., for all presidents who have served 8 years (2 full terms) will have had the least number of EOs all the way back to Ulysses S. Grant.

It's all in the wiki link.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now, people can freely debate whether an individual EO is constitutional or not, but rest assured, each President gets legal counsel as to the veracity and legality of an EO BEFORE signing it.

Feel free to vent, but maybe a couple of facts would be nice, too... :D

Oh, I almost forgot: the Emancipation Proclamation, signed by President Abraham Lincoln (R), was an EO:

Emancipation_proclamation_typeset_signed.jpg

Last edited:
  • Banned

The quantitative list is interesting.

I wonder what the qualitative looks like, a deeper dive into the magnitude of the EO's.

Quality over quantity, in other words.

Every order is at the link, hyperlinked. I have looked at a lot of them. Hope that information helps you.

For instance, here are ALL of FDR's EO's, every single on of them is linked by EO number and a description is on the main page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_executive_orders_6071–9537

Last edited:
If FDR was a tyrant then why does the left look up to him like they do?

Looking at your chart it is clear what the Progressive era has done to this country. Obama is but one of many. Luckily, conservatives have a greater voice than they did in the era of FDR. Back then FDR would have thrown us all in concentration camps. Then again, Obama could arrest us under the NDAA without trial. We could all just disappear now.

Looking at your chart it is clear what the Progressive era has done to this country. Obama is but one of many. Luckily, conservatives have a greater voice than they did in the era of FDR. Back then FDR would have thrown us all in concentration camps. Then again, Obama could arrest us under the NDAA without trial. We could all just disappear now.

Well at least you acknowledged the NDAA of Obum-uh.

But you can't blame it all on Franklin D Roosevelt. His time in office was at a time when the world was grappling with World War 2. And America was fighting one of the toughest battles in history, 2 major fronts at the same time (in Europe against Nazis and in the Pacific against Japs).

In that chaotic state of a country I mean it's no surprise with that high number of EOs.

Well, there goes the "Obama as dictator" meme.

It's not that simple. Over time Congress has delegated more and more power to the Executive Branch to the point that laws are now being passed in the guise of regulation. This means that if they can't pass legislation like cap and trade, Obama simply has his goons in the EPA begin to implement it devoid of Congressional votes.

The Executive Branch is simply too powerful. Executive Orders are but a small part of this.

And what about issues like the IRS going after political opponents? Did that take an Executive Order?

I think you will find that the most destructive activities are well hidden behind closed doors. How then can you dismiss the dictator charge?

Last edited:

It's not that simple. Over time Congress has delegated more and more power to the Executive Branch to the point that laws are now being passed in the guise of regulation. This means that if they can't pass legislation like cap and trade, Obama simply has his goons in the EPA begin to implement it devoid of Congressional votes.

The Executive Branch is simply too powerful. Executive Orders are but a small part of this.

And what about issues like the IRS going after political opponents? Did that take an Executive Order?

I think you will find that the most destructive activities are well hidden behind closed doors. How then can you dismiss the dictator charge?
Just like the NSA, ya'll aren't worried about EO power or the Patriot Act...when a Republican is President. Obama ~ fewest EOs since Grover Cleveland. "Dictator Obama". :lol:

The IRS didn't go after political opponents (in the Obama administration anyway). Overworked IRS workers used inappropriate search criteria like "Tea Party", "Patriot", "Occupied" and "Progressive" due to an influx of 501 c applications after the lovely Citizens United ruling.

Not for the wingnuts. In their alternative reality, that fact that Obama has issued fewer EO's than most Presidents just prove how sly he is. There is no way that the President can do anything without this bunch twisting into some conspiracy. What a bunch of really stupid losers.

Just like the NSA, ya'll aren't worried about EO power or the Patriot Act...when a Republican is President. Obama ~ fewest EOs since Grover Cleveland. "Dictator Obama". :lol:

The IRS didn't go after political opponents (in the Obama administration anyway). Overworked IRS workers used inappropriate search criteria like "Tea Party", "Patriot", "Occupied" and "Progressive" due to an influx of 501 c applications after the lovely Citizens United ruling.

What are you babbling about? I hate it when you tack Obama's arse to the wall and then you have partisan dead heads point out the GOP does the same things or worse.

Guess what, I could care less about "W" and the GOP. In fact, looking at "W" and Obama, I can't really tell much difference other than the afro and ignorant grin of "W".

I'm one of these right winged extremists who view both parties as one in the same. To dead head partisan shills like yourself, this is heretical, but how else do you explain why both parties seem to be going down the same road?

Incidentally, under the "W" administration the NAACP was audited. They are nothing more than a political tool, and now they are in charge of our health care.

Last edited:

Because FDR wasn't a tyrant.

He had to deal with the Depression (which was a direct result of conservative policies) and the Nazis (A bunch of German Theocratic Conservatives).

One of the major roles of the Chief Executive is to keep the country functional during crisis.

That's what he did.

What are you babbling about? I hate it when you tack Obama's arse to the wall and then you have partisan dead heads point out the GOP does the same things or worse.

Guess what, I could care less about "W" and the GOP. In fact, looking at "W" and Obama, I can't really tell much difference other than the afro and ignorant grin of "W".

I'm one of these right winged extremists who view both parties as one in the same. To dead head partisan shills like yourself, this is heretical, but how else do you explain why both parties seem to be going down the same road?

Incidentally, under the "W" administration the NAACP was audited. They are nothing more than a political tool, and now they are in charge of our health care.

Ah...a "true conservative". Didn't vote for Bush in either 2000 or 2004, right? Went 3rd party for the last election too did ya? Ideological purity, awesome!

Of course, the idea that Bush and Obama are "exactly the same" or that the parties are "exactly the same" is a complete disconnect from reality...kinda like saying the IRS "runs healthcare". :lol:

Ah...a "true conservative". Didn't vote for Bush in either 2000 or 2004, right? Went 3rd party for the last election too did ya? Ideological purity, awesome!

Of course, the idea that Bush and Obama are "exactly the same" or that the parties are "exactly the same" is a complete disconnect from reality...kinda like saying the IRS "runs healthcare". :lol:

At this point, my only interest is my state legislature. States need to arise and amend the Constitution under article V and impose their will on the federal government.

What needs to be done is to impose term limits for the federal aristocracy, and to impose a balanced budget amendment.

Now tell us in your left winged extremist partisan mind why these would be sooooo detrimental to the country?

I have no interest in voting at the federal level. It is simply a waste of time.

Last edited:

Tell me, are you suffering from a fever or a cold, or both? Or did you maybe just fall on your head?

Just in case you didn't notice, fuckface, FDR prosecuted the hardest war in our history against Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and Imperialistic Japan to preserve our freedoms so that YOU could have the freedom to write such stupid shit. The very fact that you can write something THAT inane proves my point.

Damn, go see a doctor about that brain rash. But then again, in your case, it might be rabies.... so many rabid Righties out there these days.....

Because FDR wasn't a tyrant.

He had to deal with the Depression (which was a direct result of conservative policies) and the Nazis (A bunch of German Theocratic Conservatives).

One of the major roles of the Chief Executive is to keep the country functional during crisis.

That's what he did.

FDR could not get SCOTUS to pass his New Deal policies, so he tried to have them removed. He also imprisoned innocent Japanese Americans.

You can blame these actions on the Depression and WW2, but it is what it is. FDR was acting like a dictator. The trouble is, you tend to become what you are fighting.

In fact, looking at history, Wilson helped spear head the Progressive movement, and WW1 was a catalyst for this transformation. The Progressive movement is a collectivist movement, the same sort of collectivism that Hitler embraced. For you see, in order to create a world conquering army, you need a collectivist state. This is how Wilson and FDR fought against the collectivist in Europe, they simply fought fire with fire.

However, looking at the US today, with troops in over a 100 countries around the world and poised to take out countries like Syria, we can honestly say that Progressives are on a mission for a New World Order, much like Hitler fantasized about. Of course, the Nazi utopia would differ from the modern day globalists vision of a utopia, but the end result is the same, which is a centralized power governing the world.

Not for the wingnuts. In their alternative reality, that fact that Obama has issued fewer EO's than most Presidents just prove how sly he is. There is no way that the President can do anything without this bunch twisting into some conspiracy. What a bunch of really stupid losers.

Yepp. Bravo.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Day 1:

Reporter: "Today, perfect weather is expected over the Rockies"

Foaming at the mouth Teadrinker: "That fucking Obama, he stole our clouds and gave em to those fucking Irrainiuhns!!"

Day 2:

Reporter: "Ok, tomorrow we are expecting storms"

Foaming at the mouth Teadrinker: "That fucking Obama, he's using Illuminati technology he brought back from Mars from his trip there in 1980, to murder all Conservatives with storm-wars!!! He sent the fuckin good weather to those fucking Irrainiuhns!!"

Forum List

Back