States sue to rein in Obama's illegal amnesty

funny, the Republicans passed the same immigration reform years past, and now they don't like it ?
Of course they don't like it. If they passed it Obama might sign it and that would be fraternizing with the enemy.

We made the mistake of allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens without putting a plan in place to enforce the problem that caused it in the first place. Now we have come full circle to where we were once before, and you expect for us to not learn from the mistakes of the past and simply allow the endless circle to continue? We have already seen the end result of legalization without enforcement, without sealing the border, and BILLIONS thrown away supporting illegals when it would have been cheaper to build a wall or allow our national guard to patrol it through military enforcement. Other nations take the enforcement of their borders more seriously than we do.
We are spending more money on enforcement of immigration laws than all other federal law enforcement combined and our deportation rate has risen 30,000/yr in 1990 to 188,000 in 2000 to 368,000 in 2013. Our boarders are far from being open. We are doing a better job of enforcement that we have ever done.

The solution to the problem is not going to be found in increasing boarder security and deportations but rather eliminating the primary reason people cross our boarders illegally, jobs. Currently an employer hiring illegal immigrants faces only a $250 fine for first offense and it's not levied on the first 10 offenses in a year. ICE raids have increased but they focus only the largest employers which is not where most illegal immigrants work.

The E-Verify system which every employer should be using is voluntary and less than 10% of employers use the system. Most employers either make no attempt to check the legality of the applicant or accept a green card or social security card which can bought for as little as $25.

Immigration law needs to be changed to require all employers to use the E- Verify system or equivalent system and to include the information needed to avoid the false rejections. The fines need to be increase and jail time should be added for habitually offenders.

If there are no jobs available, few will come and many will leave. We could also reduce wait time and cost of entering the country and increase enforcement of visa expirations but jobs are the key.

http://carnegie.org/fileadmin/Media/Image_Galleries/immigration_enforcement_in__us_MPI_report.pdf

You make some very good points, but the problem is many, if not most of the illegals work off the clock and are employed by small service companies. Lawn service and roofing are the two that come to mind. In my little town there are a number of companies that are minority owned and employ a dozen or more people who barely speak English. I doubt that they are even interested in using E-Verify.
As I said, using the system is voluntary. This needs to change. The E-Verify is very simple to use. The prospective Employee completes an I9 form which collects data such as name, address, birth date, S.S. Number, Citizenship, Alien Registration Number, etc. The employee presents the I9 and identification documents to the employer. The employer logs on to E-Verify and enters the information. The information matches against S.S, Immigration, Drivers License, and other Homeland Security Databases. Usually within seconds, the employer get's a verification message which often includes a photo. The employer then completes a document stating he has verified identification documents.

In order to fully implement the system, laws would have to change. Moreover, Congress will have to decide just how important the elimination of illegal immigrants really is, because the full implementation of the system would put an additional burden on every employer plus Homeland Security would be massing huge amounts of personal data on every employee in the country.

Every employer has a responsibility to verify the citizenship status of new hires today. If you do it, and the employee is later found to be an illegal, you can still be held responsible, even though you are a victim of fraud.

The E-Verify system is no different - it can be spoofed, and false identities created - until it is made foolproof, you are still responsible.

I'm amazed, though, that all those people who are so adamant anti-voting IDs want to use a government database for this. Sounds like two sides of the same coin, to me.

Of course they don't like it. If they passed it Obama might sign it and that would be fraternizing with the enemy.

We made the mistake of allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens without putting a plan in place to enforce the problem that caused it in the first place. Now we have come full circle to where we were once before, and you expect for us to not learn from the mistakes of the past and simply allow the endless circle to continue? We have already seen the end result of legalization without enforcement, without sealing the border, and BILLIONS thrown away supporting illegals when it would have been cheaper to build a wall or allow our national guard to patrol it through military enforcement. Other nations take the enforcement of their borders more seriously than we do.
We are spending more money on enforcement of immigration laws than all other federal law enforcement combined and our deportation rate has risen 30,000/yr in 1990 to 188,000 in 2000 to 368,000 in 2013. Our boarders are far from being open. We are doing a better job of enforcement that we have ever done.

The solution to the problem is not going to be found in increasing boarder security and deportations but rather eliminating the primary reason people cross our boarders illegally, jobs. Currently an employer hiring illegal immigrants faces only a $250 fine for first offense and it's not levied on the first 10 offenses in a year. ICE raids have increased but they focus only the largest employers which is not where most illegal immigrants work.

The E-Verify system which every employer should be using is voluntary and less than 10% of employers use the system. Most employers either make no attempt to check the legality of the applicant or accept a green card or social security card which can bought for as little as $25.

Immigration law needs to be changed to require all employers to use the E- Verify system or equivalent system and to include the information needed to avoid the false rejections. The fines need to be increase and jail time should be added for habitually offenders.

If there are no jobs available, few will come and many will leave. We could also reduce wait time and cost of entering the country and increase enforcement of visa expirations but jobs are the key.

http://carnegie.org/fileadmin/Media/Image_Galleries/immigration_enforcement_in__us_MPI_report.pdf

You make some very good points, but the problem is many, if not most of the illegals work off the clock and are employed by small service companies. Lawn service and roofing are the two that come to mind. In my little town there are a number of companies that are minority owned and employ a dozen or more people who barely speak English. I doubt that they are even interested in using E-Verify.
As I said, using the system is voluntary. This needs to change. The E-Verify is very simple to use. The prospective Employee completes an I9 form which collects data such as name, address, birth date, S.S. Number, Citizenship, Alien Registration Number, etc. The employee presents the I9 and identification documents to the employer. The employer logs on to E-Verify and enters the information. The information matches against S.S, Immigration, Drivers License, and other Homeland Security Databases. Usually within seconds, the employer get's a verification message which often includes a photo. The employer then completes a document stating he has verified identification documents.

In order to fully implement the system, laws would have to change. Moreover, Congress will have to decide just how important the elimination of illegal immigrants really is, because the full implementation of the system would put an additional burden on every employer plus Homeland Security would be massing huge amounts of personal data on every employee in the country.

Every employer has a responsibility to verify the citizenship status of new hires today. If you do it, and the employee is later found to be an illegal, you can still be held responsible, even though you are a victim of fraud.

The E-Verify system is no different - it can be spoofed, and false identities created - until it is made foolproof, you are still responsible.

I'm amazed, though, that all those people who are so adamant anti-voting IDs want to use a government database for this. Sounds like two sides of the same coin, to me.

I know what party is opposed to requiring a photo ID to vote, but what party or group is opposed to E-Verify? It seems to me that the NCAAP and other Black groups would be backing it since a lot of the jobs that illegals now get would go to Black folks.

funny, the Republicans passed the same immigration reform years past, and now they don't like it ?

You know homeland security is recording everything right?

Mandatory E-Verify sounds good to me, but what is the cost? Not only to the federal government, but to the small business owner. You just knew there would be a yes but didn't you?
I am tempted to write to my Congressman and Senators and find out what their position is on E-Verify.
E-Verify enjoys broad bipartisan support like 95% of all proposed immigration legislation. I have no doubt a mandatory requirement without a bucket load of exceptions would draw heavy opposition from a number of lobbying groups. However, it we could get legislation that got 60% compliance, it would make a big difference.

A mandatory E-Verify would definitely put a burden on small businesses. Larger businesses have so much processing they do for new employees, one more form to process won't make much difference. Also, there's the issue of privacy. Just how much personal information do we want at the fingertips of the government. The information is there now but it's spread out among many federal and state agencies. This would eventually lead to an easy access data base with damn near every piece of personal information on file. Plus, there are significant costs in addition to privacy issues and added burden on employers. This is why I raise the question, just how much is it worth to the nation to significantly reduce the number of illegal immigrants.

What good are laws if you are free to pick & choose the one you want to Obey with No enforcement...

What good are laws if you are free to pick & choose the one you want to Obey with No enforcement...
Good Point. When laws are ignored it undermines the whole legal system in the eyes of the public. If one person is allowed to break a law because they feel it's necessary or unfair, then others will follow suit.

The simplest solution is just enforce the law. The problem here is we have been trying to do that for 25+ years during both Republican and Democrat administration. We have increased the spending on immigration enforcement from $700,000 in 1986 to over $15 billion in 2014. We have deported 4 million people and the rate of deportations have increased from 30,000 in 1990 to 188,000 in 2000 to 368,000 in 2013. We have revised our immigration laws 10 times. And yet, the number of illegal immigrants have increased by about 9 million.

We will not solve the problem by continuing to do what we have done unsuccessfully for the last 25 years. We need to make realist immigration laws that can be enforce, We need to remove the prime incentive for illegal immigration, jobs. We need to come up with a compromise plan for dealing with illegal immigrants who have lived in this country for many years, maintained employment, and stayed out of trouble.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back