States Blocking Obamacare

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
"In more than a dozen statehouses across the country, a small but growing group of lawmakers is pressing for state constitutional amendments that would outlaw a crucial element of the health care plans under discussion in Washington: the requirement that nearly everyone buy insurance or pay a penalty."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/us/29states.html?_r=2

And according to my local paper (They did not quote a source) "35 states have filed or proposed amendments to their state constitutions or statutes rejecting health insurance mandates."

Looks to me like the people are speaking louder than ever.

Correction: states don't do anything. The lawmakers do. No significant groundswell exists at all for what Ollie suggests. This is a movement by a very small, very weak agenda-driven group of activists. None of the efforts will succeed because the votes are not there.

This approach was debated in our state, and we decided against it as a tactic that would expose our legislative weakness.

Got it, you are still backing Obama and Obamacare.

But All I am doing is reporting what I read and posted the one article I found about it on line. Don't know or care what state you are from and what you think you did. But if 35 states have some movement then there is obviously some movement.

You are not strong on critical thinking skills, and I will leave it at that.

What you have is a very small coordinate effort to make itself seem much larger and the voice of the people. It's not and it's not.

If there is movement in State Governments to block it then I say it's a good thing. We do not need socialized medicine.

If there is movement in State Governments to block it then I say it's a good thing. We do not need socialized medicine.

What we need is less coverage is less insurance benefits! I don't care if they paid 200 dollars a day for their whole lives, it was a pre-existing condition damn it!:lol:

Is that so then obviously you have not been to Arizona then.

PHOENIX, Arizona (June 22, 2009) — The Arizona Legislature today passed a bill that refers the Health Care Freedom Act (H.C.R. 2014) to the November 2010 ballot.

The Health Care Freedom Act will ensure Arizona residents may pay directly for any legal health services and choose not to participate in a government or privately run health care system.

“Protecting the rights of individuals to be in control of their health and health care must be a fundamental component of health care reform, so the Arizona legislature is to be congratulated for giving all Arizonans the opportunity to make certain our voices are heard,” said Dr. Eric Novack, Chairman, Arizonans for Health Care Freedom.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Nancy Barto, will be placed on the ballot as a referendum.

The Healthcare Freedom Bill provides for two fundamental rights:

1. The right to spend your own money to seek out and receive health care services that are otherwise legal.
2. The right to choose NOT to participate in any health care system, of any type.

PHOENIX, Arizona (June 22, 2009) — The Arizona Legislature today passed a bill that refers the Health Care Freedom Act (H.C.R. 2014) to the November 2010 ballot.

The Health Care Freedom Act will ensure Arizona residents may pay directly for any legal health services and choose not to participate in a government or privately run health care system.

“Protecting the rights of individuals to be in control of their health and health care must be a fundamental component of health care reform, so the Arizona legislature is to be congratulated for giving all Arizonans the opportunity to make certain our voices are heard,” said Dr. Eric Novack, Chairman, Arizonans for Health Care Freedom.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Nancy Barto, will be placed on the ballot as a referendum.

1. The right to spend your own money to seek out and receive health care services that are otherwise legal.
2. The right to choose NOT to participate in any health care system, of any type.

Lol the life expectancy of that state just dropped fifteen years.

Are you talking about the people or a starve out of federal funds?

If it's the people you are talking about do you have statistics for that figure or is it something you just pulled out of thin air?

Add Virginia to that list:

Virginia Senate votes on health care bills - dailypress.com

RICHMOND, Va. - Five Democrats broke with their party Monday to endorse measures that would ban government health care mandates like the one being debated in Congress.

Three identical bills to prohibit Virginians from being required to purchase health care were approved on 23-17 votes in the Virginia Senate, where Democrats have a 22-18 majority.

If approved by the GOP-controlled House, Virginia would be the second state behind Arizona to pass measures in defiance of the proposed federal legislation. Arizona last year approved a similar constitutional amendment, which will be on the ballot in November.

"I don't think the government has any right telling people they have to buy health insurance," said Senate Finance Committee chairman Charles J. Colgan, a Democrat and the chamber's most senior member. "We talk about being a free country, let's be free."

The bills are similar to those introduced by conservative lawmakers in about 30 states as Congress debates President Barack Obama's health care proposals. They are based on model legislation from the American Legislative Exchange Council, a Washington, D.C.-based group that promotes limited government.

Last edited:
Y'all are "obstructionist" and "extremist" according to Colleen Turrentine' s email. I'm surprised she did not call you terrorist too.

Does anyone know where I can get a list of president Obama's accomplishments she is talking about?

Email from Colleen Turrentine, Democratic Governors Association

"Tea Party hysteria has snowballed into a truly dangerous third-party political force. These guys aren't going away. They've proven they can raise millions in a matter of hours and they're skewing elections across the nation. Can you imagine the havoc they would wreak if they took office en masse? If they had their way, how many states would even stay in the U.S.?

After the GOP won two Democratic governorships and, just last month, took Ted Kennedy's U.S. Senate seat (after 57 years in Democratic hands), the Far Right thinks they have the momentum to defeat us this November -- even the 37 governors' races that are up for grabs.

These angry, extremist Teabaggers will go to any length to crush every inch of President Obama's agenda.

Stop them before it's too late -- sign the DGA's petition to stand with President Obama and support his agenda.

Americans, every one of us, deserve governors who will fight for the middle class -- not self-serving politicians who kowtow to special interests whose political hero is Sarah Palin. But that's exactly what the GOP's Tea Party-obsessed candidates are doing.

Tell these obstructionists to stop playing politics with people's lives. Click here to sign our petition: voice your outrage at the GOP's destructive pursuit of power and support President Obama's brave and historic efforts to put our nation back on the right track.

President Obama is facing the greatest challenges of our age, not to mention a monumental mess left behind by eight years of Republican rule. And yet he's accomplished more than any first-year president in recent history. But, as they've done continuously since being booted from power, Republicans are fighting to steer us back to the failed policies and fear tactics of the Bush-Cheney-Rove era.

With 37 governorships, 36 Senate seats, and the entire U.S. House up for election in just nine months, Republicans are going to the lowest lows -- lying, cheating, smearing -- to destroy the achievements we've fought so hard for. And you can bet they have no plans to stop.

Tell the Party of No that we won't let them drive our country into the ground once again -- sign the DGA's petition and let the GOP know you're behind President Obama's progressive solutions, not Tea Party Republicans' shameful and dangerous political games.

Then, in support of President Obama, forward this to every friend and relative you can. Each voice added to yours and mine will build the power of our message and create a potent antidote to the Tea Party's hate-filled political hysteria.

Because as loud as they yell, with enough voices of our own I know we can prevail. Help us spread this message. America deserves better than the GOP's callous political games. America deserves solutions.

Thank you for standing with us,

Colleen Turrentine
Democratic Governors Association

P.S. Add your voice to ours and tell power-hungry Tea Party Republicans bent on destroying our progressive agenda that you're standing with President Obama as he forges a better future for America. Then show even more support for the President by forwarding this message to everyone you know and help this message grow even more powerful."

OLDER: (1999) ( U.S. Bureau of the Census, Americans) The 50-59 age bracket will increase by 50% by the year 2006, and the country's fifty something population will expand to about 38 million by that year. The bureau further projected that by the year 2020, eight states, including: Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Washington, Georgia, Alaska and California, will double their older populations. And in the next 20 years, the bureau reported, America will see a 76% increase in its 65 and older population as baby boomers reach their retirement years.
Life Expectancy

We have nationalized medical care NOW and where is the opposition fromn the states and voters on that?
The absurdity of their argument is we see signs "NO Obamacare" and then out of the side of their mouth they do not want cuts in Medicare.
For the uninformed masses: Medicare IS government health care.
"I got mine, the government is paying for it and I do not want any changes in it. All I want is NO ONE else to get it"
We have lost it. Republicans used to beon the right side of this issue always calling for CUTS in Medicare. Now we have a bill that calls fordeepcuts in that waste of a blank checkprogram and Republicans cry "No cuts for seniors".
We have lost our dam minds. Disease blank check care will bankrupt the country.
And folks that have the blank check disease care just love it.
"I got mine and it is free" HAS GO TO GO.

We have nationalized medical care NOW and where is the opposition fromn the states and voters on that?
The absurdity of their argument is we see signs "NO Obamacare" and then out of the side of their mouth they do not want cuts in Medicare.
"I got mine, the government is paying for it and I do not want any changes in it. All I want is NO ONE else to get it"
We have lost it. Republicans used to beon the right side of this issue always calling for CUTS in Medicare. Now we have a bill that calls fordeepcuts in that waste of a blank checkprogram and Republicans cry "No cuts for seniors".

Many programs the Govt. offers ARE Govt. healthcare and while most of them are at or nearly insolvent to smply dismiss something as bad because it is Govt. helathcare doesn't make a lot of sense. However, what a lot of states are saying is that people should have the choice to make their own healthcare coverage decisions and not have their Govt. make it for them or force them to. I completely agree with this postiion. The other issue here is it makes no sense at all to first propose to reform healthcare in terms of lower costs, better availibilty, and highre quality and then support a bill that DOES NONE of those things and in fact puts most low income people in Medicaid which is perhaps the worst insurance program you can have. It further aims to send more Americans into a private approved insurace pool and yet at the same time condemn the companies that are in that insurance pool offering that service. If the Govt. really wanted to reform healthcare on those grounds that I posted then they could do so easily with wide support, however I suspect it has little to do with actual reform and more to do with the word as it applies to a political victory.

The entire point of Health care reform was to make it more affordable so that more people could be covered. The Idea wasn't to force people to purchase health insurance. So far the Democrat Bill has done nothing to make health care any less expensive. It has given power to the government and raised taxes. And it's all been done mostly behind closed doors. The people are speaking out and the Democrats in Washington are still trying to ignore them.
I applaud every State that stands up for it's sovereignty.

Forum List

Back