States Ban ‘Ghost Guns’ In Effort To Curb Gun Violence

Shawnee_b

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2019
South Central KY
imrs.php_-718x437.jpg

File- A man holds a 3D printed gun called the Liberator in Austin , Texas. (Erica Gay/AP Photo)

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:10 AM PT — Friday, February 14, 2020

Lawmakers are trying to decide if so-called ‘ghost guns’ should be considered firearms. The homemade guns, often created with 3D printers and assembled at home, are untraceable and lack a serial number needed to register the gun with government officials.

On Thursday, House lawmakers in Rhode Island green-lit a bill that would ban the weapons from being bought, sold, created or distributed in the state. Violations would reportedly be punishable by up to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

States ban ‘ghost guns’ in effort to curb gun violence | One America News Network

Some points. It's legal to make a firearm for your own use and does not need to be serial numbered. SN is for later registration/confiscation. Until the 1968 GCA sn's were not mandatory although many manufacturers did.

Look at the pic. It has no trigger. These "liberator" (named after WW2 45acp Liberators) pistols are not even fireable without mods like a steel barrel, firing pin... Can't 3d print steel.

Bill says they cannot be bought, sold or distributed in the state, That's already law, has been since 68. For one it has to be serial numbered to do so and one MUST be a FFL licensed 07 manufacturer to do so, pay FET tax, keep records, period visits fro BATFe.

Bill says they cannot be bought, sold or distributed in the state, That's already law, has been since 68. For one it has to be serial numbered to do so and one MUST be a FFL licensed 07 manufacturer to do so, pay FET tax, keep records, period visits fro BATFe.

State lawmakers continue to push for stricter gun laws including banning ghost guns

But they were met with opposition.

"A gun without a serial number is already illegal. So this bill is making something illegal that is already illegal,"

"Just to do a knee jerk reaction and pass something just because we need to do something I don't agree with. I think we need to take a look at it and clean it up a little bit and find out what is in the best interest of the public," Devin Sasai of Bushido Arms & Ammunition, LLC said.

You can 3D print in steel.

Interesting, thanks did not know that was possible, yet.

Will it do a A bored out rifled barrel? Another thing I failed to mention, while you can build your own for your use it must have a rifled barrel unless dedicated to shotshells, not cci 9mm, 22, 45 shotshells

State lawmakers continue to push for stricter gun laws including banning ghost guns

But they were met with opposition.

"A gun without a serial number is already illegal. So this bill is making something illegal that is already illegal,"

"Just to do a knee jerk reaction and pass something just because we need to do something I don't agree with. I think we need to take a look at it and clean it up a little bit and find out what is in the best interest of the public," Devin Sasai of Bushido Arms & Ammunition, LLC said.

If it is for your own use, never sold or transferred it does not need an SN. The 80% are so popular as they don't.

Yes they are trying to pass more laws of which there is already law!

You can 3D print in steel.

Interesting, thanks did not know that was possible, yet.

Will it do a A bored out rifled barrel? Another thing I failed to mention, while you can build your own for your use it must have a rifled barrel unless dedicated to shotshells, not cci 9mm, 22, 45 shotshells

Dont know if it would do rifling but I dont see why it wouldnt.
You best bet would be to print the barrel rifling,leave the bore .010 small and then run a reamer through it to finish.
The rifling doesnt have to be perfect to impart spin,the bore size is far more important.

Unenforceable. People have and have always had the right to manufacture their own firearms.

You best bet would be to print the barrel rifling,leave the bore .010 small and then run a reamer through it to finish.
The rifling doesnt have to be perfect to impart spin,the bore size is far more important.

That's interesting, what it can do. Yes print small and ream it later. Then get it in the host, print the other flat parts need done.

Personally I think these are about worthless. There are other ways to go if one wants no serial number. The 80% AR and 1911's are pretty good, need jigs and some knowledge however. Being a dealer, manufacturer SOT in the past all the feds know everything about me and what I have. I don't care about 80% guns, printed. People want to, well go for it. However when we have full gun registration, and we will, confiscation will come just after. These no sn makers may be the ones have any guns (and criminals)

Little known fact though. If someone does an 80% AR and buys the upper and parts from a dealer the dealers have to report the sale even not being a firearm! I was licensed and all but building FnFals and such I ran into this. The Fn and Ak "parts sets" you could get online were reported, this back in earlu 2000's. IO sold a bunch Fn kits the ATF determined were not properly torch cut. Everyone bought a kit had a surprise and a visit. Now buy used, or a few parts at a time may negate this.

I think we need more guns anyway -- the more the better...and if more people can make them at home -- that is just the free market at work....

That's interesting, what it can do. Yes print small and ream it later. Then get it in the host, print the other flat parts need done.

Personally I think these are about worthless. There are other ways to go if one wants no serial number. The 80% AR and 1911's are pretty good, need jigs and some knowledge however. Being a dealer, manufacturer SOT in the past all the feds know everything about me and what I have. I don't care about 80% guns, printed. People want to, well go for it. However when we have full gun registration, and we will, confiscation will come just after. These no sn makers may be the ones have any guns (and criminals)

Little known fact though. If someone does an 80% AR and buys the upper and parts from a dealer the dealers have to report the sale even not being a firearm! I was licensed and all but building FnFals and such I ran into this. The Fn and Ak "parts sets" you could get online were reported, this back in earlu 2000's. IO sold a bunch Fn kits the ATF determined were not properly torch cut. Everyone bought a kit had a surprise and a visit. Now buy used, or a few parts at a time may negate this.

As a consumer you can avoid all the bullshit by going to Armslist.com.

Forum List

Back