Stars & Bars Forever

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010

I do not expect to change the title of the National March to Stars & Bars Forever:

th
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.p7Tg7D4CeG393NNg7xzAawEsEs&pid=Api&w=180&h=181

but they could honor Jefferson Davis on Presidents’ Day:

The birthday of Jefferson Davis is June 3rd. Davis served as President of the Confederate States of America, United States Senator and Secretary of War under United States President Franklin Pierce.​

Jefferson Davis ‘Memorial Day’ Funeral Train
By Calvin E. Johnson Jr.
May 29, 2017

Jefferson Davis ‘Memorial Day’ Funeral Train

After all, President Jeff Davis deserves more respect for saying:

th
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.j2SD0iUGenYfb9NMtXcNDwEsDI&pid=Api&w=270&h=181

than Abe Lincoln deserves for lying:

Americans celebrate Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, but H.L. Mencken correctly evaluated the speech, "It is poetry not logic; beauty, not sense." Lincoln said that the soldiers sacrificed their lives "to the cause of self-determination -- government of the people, by the people, for the people should not perish from the earth."

Mencken says: "It is difficult to imagine anything more untrue. The Union soldiers in the battle actually fought against self-determination; it was the Confederates who fought for the right of people to govern themselves."​

The Real Lincoln
Walter E. Williams | Mar 27, 2002

Walter E. Williams - The Real Lincoln

In any event, I resent celebrating presidents like Wilson, Clinton, and Obama alongside presidents like Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Reagan.

In fact, if I had my druthers I would repeal the Uniform Monday Holiday Act and go back to individuals celebrating a deserving president on his actual birthday.

Parenthetically, repeal is that farfetched. They did it with:

Columbus Day, Memorial Day and Veterans Day were also moved from their traditionally designated dates. (As a result of widespread criticism, in 1980 Veterans’ Day was returned to its original November 11 date.)​

Presidents’ Day - Holidays - HISTORY.com

Last edited:

Forum List

Back