Star Trek - Something To Look Forward To

4th post race card winner! Your remark is total bullshit. Now if you had mentioned that ex-house wife Janeway....

Actually, the problems with Voyager had little to do with Kate Mulgrew, who probably did the best she could with the awful scripts she was handed. "Hey, let's take the show with the first female captain, but then have her co-star prance around in a skin-tight catsuit!"

3a9442d17fd4eadf1743d9b39cbcb21d--jeri-ryan-ryan-oneal.jpg

I wonder how seriously messed up it will be. None of the recent movies have been any good imo.

I think the problem with the new "Kelvin Timeline" movies is that they are kind of forgettable action schlock. There's nothing interesting about them, other than the characters share names with the characters we love.

Star Trek: Beyond wasn't too bad, because they made more of an effort at characterization.

Ironically, the hands down best Trek movie was the one they made on a budget, The Wrath of Khan. They recycled sets, FX shots, models, filmed the "Reliant" bridge scenes on the Enterprise bridge with different lighting. But what they DID do right there was have good characterizations of the main characters.

‘Deep Space Nine’ was a ‘Star Trek’ that didn’t actually trek anywhere.

It was about a truck stop in space.

That's like saying "Moby Dick is about a guy trying to catch a fish", but never mind.

Ironically, Babylon 5 had the same concept, but did it a lot better. But both series were a lot more about the characters than "Weird Alien Forehead of the week", which is what TNG and Voyager were about at a certain point.

‘Deep Space Nine’ was a ‘Star Trek’ that didn’t actually trek anywhere.

It was about a truck stop in space.

That's like saying "Moby Dick is about a guy trying to catch a fish", but never mind.

Ironically, Babylon 5 had the same concept, but did it a lot better. But both series were a lot more about the characters than "Weird Alien Forehead of the week", which is what TNG and Voyager were about at a certain point.

Not sure you can compare Melville with ‘Star Trek’ as equivalent forms of literature.

I wonder how seriously messed up it will be. None of the recent movies have been any good imo.
Didn't Harvey Weinstein fund most Tarantino's films?

Quentin Tarantino Shares “Pain, Emotions, Anger” Over Harvey Weinstein In Twitter Statement
Weinstein, through Miramax and then The Weinstein Company, has produced all of Tarantino’s films since Pulp Fiction, most recently The Hateful Eight in 2015. In September, Weinstein threw a party for Tarantino in New York, to toast the director’s engagement.

Not sure you can compare Melville with ‘Star Trek’ as equivalent forms of literature.

Why not? I promise you, more people have seen Star Trek than have actually READ Moby Dick.

"Literature" often ends up meaning 'That thing you put on your bookshelf so you look sophisticated, but never actually read. A leather cover is a nice touch if you can get it."

Now, here's the thing. A lot of Star Trek is formulaic schlock. And some of it is truly great storytelling. I would put among the best being "City on the Edge of Forever", "The Inner Light" and "The Pale Moonlight" as some really solid storytelling.

JJ Abrams killed Star Trek. Decent action movies, sure. But not good Start Trek movies. He totally misinterpreted Captain Kirk.

I mean really what's the hubub Bub? It's like the original series on TV was a campy half ass attempt.....The movies were okay, a little dry....The last ones put out were again campy..I didn't dmire some of the casting..I could never watch any other TV episodes of Trek...One can only waste so much time on campy half assed sci fi...

Forum List

Back