Star Trek Day - 55 years

It's a slide show and the last three of the 24 are clicks to other slide shows. All trying to be somewhat PC of 2024.
21 Things About Star Trek That Fans Hesitate to Acknowledge

Since its first episode aired in 1966, Star Trek has captivated and delighted audiences for generations. From comedic Klingons to purple planets, the epic series has always inspired and provoked the imaginations of its fans, both young and old. A trailblazer of its time, especially in the early days, Star Trek was accredited with pushing many boundaries around gender, race, and equality, which is all positive. However, some questionable aspects of this legendary franchise might have us wanting to shout, “Beam me up, Scotty,” before we would like to admit them.

Best TV science fiction ever! As a child, It influenced me to become an engineer.
I watched all the episodes and was surprised when it was cancelled. However, to be truthful, it was not a great TV series. The series was all about strange new world but it was filled with the pop culture of the 60's which is why the series is so dated. While Captain Kirk was cavorting with blue skin go go girls and Dr. Spock was being captured by Buck Rogers space alien's, a really fine space adventure was being created, 2001, Space Odyssey. Today, showings of 2001 Space Odyssey are rare while the Star Trek series is in it's millionth rerun.

I watched all the episodes and was surprised when it was cancelled. However, to be truthful, it was not a great TV series. The series was all about strange new world but it was filled with the pop culture of the 60's which is why the series is so dated. While Captain Kirk was cavorting with blue skin go go girls and Dr. Spock was being captured by Buck Rogers space alien's, a really fine space adventure was being created, 2001, Space Odyssey. Today, showings of 2001 Space Odyssey are rare while the Star Trek series is in it's millionth rerun.
There is no way that 2001 could be a weekly TV series on TV that depended on ratings with commercials. So, if there are any lessons taught it is in those confines.

There is no way that 2001 could be a weekly TV series on TV that depended on ratings with commercials. So, if there are any lessons taught it is in those confines.
I agree that there is world of difference between these two productions. However, I believe Star Trek could been made a lot better simple by eliminating much of silliness and making it a more serious drama.

Wagon Train to the stars!” was part of Gene Roddendberry's pitch for the original Star Trek. The phrase is likely better known now than the Western TV series that fostered it: a big hit that ran for eight seasons from 1957 to 1965.

Wagon Train, fit the template for what Roddenberry wanted to do with his new project. It depicted a group of settlers traveling from Missouri to California, which allowed the writers to tell a wide variety of stories as the wagon train passed through different areas or crossed paths with new people. That mirrored Star Trek’s notion of a spaceship that travels from planet to planet.

Wagon Master, Capt. Kirk lead his crew to the new frontier each week aided by top hands, Dr. Spock, Doc, and Scotty. Had Roddenberry stuck closer to the Wagon Train formula of well scripted dramas, with liberal action and romance, the series would have faired better. Instead, Roddenberry chose to make the series more like a graphic novel often becoming campy and corny to the extreme at times. With relatively low ratings Star Trek's five year mission ended abruptly after 3 seasons. Had it not been for Paramount TV's wide range syndication of the series that began in 1969, Star Trek would have been redelegate to a long list of TV series that never quite made the cut.

Last edited:
I agree that there is world of difference between these two productions. However, I believe Star Trek could been made a lot better simple by eliminating much of silliness and making it a more serious drama.

Wagon Train to the stars!” was part of Gene Roddendberry's pitch for the original Star Trek. The phrase is likely better known now than the Western TV series that fostered it: a big hit that ran for eight seasons from 1957 to 1965.

Wagon Train, fit the template for what Roddenberry wanted to do with his new project. It depicted a group of settlers traveling from Missouri to California, which allowed the writers to tell a wide variety of stories as the wagon train passed through different areas or crossed paths with new people. That mirrored Star Trek’s notion of a spaceship that travels from planet to planet.

Wagon Master, Capt. Kirk lead his crew to the new frontier each week aided by top hands, Dr. Spock, Doc, and Scotty. Had Roddenberry stuck closer to the Wagon Train formula of well scripted dramas, with liberal action and romance, the series would have faired better. Instead, Roddenberry chose to make the series more like a graphic novel often becoming campy and corny to the extreme at times. With relatively low ratings Star Trek's five year mission ended abruptly after 3 seasons. Had it not been for Paramount TV's wide range syndication of the series that began in 1969, Star Trek would have been redelegate to a long list of TV series that never quite made the cut.
As a drama Shatner said in an interview that he had to sell it to the viewer while wearing those uniforms. Sci Fi in that era was a different attempt at a series with the same characters that lasted several seasons. An argument could be made that the way he approached that character gave impetus to future star trek movies and series. It may seem corny, but he had more range than any other character on the show.

Forum List

Back