SSDI

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Okay, don't know if this is the right forum or not but my brother lives in Florida and is on the liver transplant list. He cannot work and so he ought to be eligible for SSDI, but he was told today his application is being turned down. Don't know why yet, but people like him are exactly who that program is designed to help. So my question is, does anyone know of who he might get in touch with to appeal that decision? Right now he and his wife are not working, she has her own health issues and so we (my wife and me) are financially supporting him. Are there no organizations in Florida that might help him? (He's 55)

Okay, don't know if this is the right forum or not but my brother lives in Florida and is on the liver transplant list. He cannot work and so he ought to be eligible for SSDI, but he was told today his application is being turned down. Don't know why yet, but people like him are exactly who that program is designed to help. So my question is, does anyone know of who he might get in touch with to appeal that decision? Right now he and his wife are not working, she has her own health issues and so we (my wife and me) are financially supporting him. Are there no organizations in Florida that might help him? (He's 55)

Your best bet would be to contact a lawyer in FL that works with SSDI cases. I know a friend of mine who ended up being unable to work and had to do the same.

You'd get a lot further talking to a lawyer who deals with this stuff rather than asking on a messageboard, because its a lot of legal stuff.

AARP
a specialty lawyer
reapply and keep applying.

Everyone gets turned down at first . Visit a disability lawyer. They only take good cases and can tell you if he has a good one . And they get paid a fixed amount by ssi per fed law .

The Social Security Administration will pay for the attorney's fees to get them an award, so it will not cost him anything.

Most likely what happened is your brother didn't identify a recognized disability. The admin judge cannot grant an award unless you have met the elements of a proper claim, and have the requisite months of employment in the time frame required.

Just tell him to get a lawyer to help with it.

First application?

Contact an attorney. Also make sure he has a doctors report (I'm sure he does) and reapply. They usually turn down everyone at first.

Get a lawyer.

The Social Security Administration ALWAYS turns you down, no matter what. I had a close relative who had a traumatic brain injury and the SS people told me they automatically refuse everyone and that it would take TWO YEARS to appeal.

Fucking assholes.

Get a lawyer. There are professionals out there who deal with the SSA on a regular basis.

Apply again/appeal. In Oregon we can refer certain cases to a disability analyst. A disability analyst is employed by the state but their job is to fast track social security applicants who have an immediate need.

Here they are typically supposed to be helping primarily TANF recipients and people with children...but I have referred single men who had been denied or didn't have the wherewithall to apply themselves, and in a couple of weeks they were approved.

Now it doesn't always work that way and if he has income or he's been working they will put the brakes on so fast...but someone with a serious and debilitating diagnosis can be fast tracked through.

Get a lawyer.

The Social Security Administration ALWAYS turns you down, no matter what. I had a close relative who had a traumatic brain injury and the SS people told me they automatically refuse everyone and that it would take TWO YEARS to appeal.

Fucking assholes.

Get a lawyer. There are professionals out there who deal with the SSA on a regular basis.

This is something that needs to be changed quickly. I also think it's bullshit that a 100% disabled individual must wait 24 months to qualify for Medicare and then pay almost twice as much for a supplement IF they can find one for an under 65 person.

And find out why he was denied. Appeal immediately. Call department of human services and see if they have disability analysts. He might need to apply for and receive snap benefits before they'll see him.

First application?

Yes. Jesus, the meds he's on to keep him alive make impossible to focus on anything or even stay awake for any length of time. It's ridiculous, guys like him are exactly who the program was designed for. Are there no advisor/advocacy groups for this sort of thing?

First application?

Yes. Jesus, the meds he's on to keep him alive make impossible to focus on anything or even stay awake for any length of time. It's ridiculous, guys like him are exactly who the program was designed for. Are there no advisor/advocacy groups for this sort of thing?

As others have said, they always turn down the first request.

Many states have state programs that can help financially while he waits for his ssdi claim.

I once worked as a lawyer for one of these state programs. We didn't charge. I did represent some kids in denials of disability claims, but they were all prior clients, for one reason or another, who were kicked off Medicaid. (If you qualify for SSDI, you qualified for Medicaid at the time) The administrative judges were surprised that I waived my fees, but I worked on a grant that came from federal money paid to state disability agencies. We were sort of like the last line for people getting screwed.

At a minimum, these folks have no financial interest in steering you one way or another. And the medical condition may result in you being eligible for their services. Good luck and godspeed.

Also, hospitals and HMOs should have social workers. They may be an independent resource.
You may also want to google "Florida pro bono lawyers." No legal advice offered, but if the guy is on a donor list, I can't imagine why this would be a difficult appeal.

Sorry, I forgot the link
Disability Rights Florida

Last edited:
Get a lawyer. Its easy to find a lawyer who will take a case for SSDI and if and when he wins the case they will take part of the settlement. My mother did that and my son has a lawyer for his case as well,we are waiting on the judges decision now.

Forum List

Back