Spy Report-What Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bottom line, they need to share, big question, how to do that? History of competition...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050331/ap_on_go_pr_wh/intelligence_commission

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Call me pig-headed if you like, but I still believe that there were WMDs and that they still exist somewhere, either in Iran or Syria.

The undeniable facts that we KNOW beyond question are:

1. Saddam did possess WMDs in the form of nerve agents and other gasses.

2. There was no evidence that Saddam ever destroyed these agents.

3. To date, we have found little that can be called WMDs.

Since we know beyond question that Saddam did at one time possess WMDs, then the only question that remains to be satisfied is - What happened to them?

As I see it, the only credible possibilities are:

1. He used his entire arsenal of WMDs in his attempts to exterminate the Kurds and others.

That is possible, but not likely, unless Saddam owned only a trivial amount of nerve agent. The casualties that we know of were not produced by any mass use of nerve agents.

2. Saddam complied with the UN demand to destroy his stockpile of nerve agents.

HIGHLY unlikely. Saddam was not one who was amenable directives from anyone. If he destroyed these agents, he would have had to have done it in secret. Why would he do that?

3. The nerve and other agents still exist in storage somewhere.

That, in my opinion, is the most likely scenario. Either they are hidden in a secret vault somewhere in Iraq or they have been transferred to neighboring countries.

Personally, I believe that our intelligence people had it correct. I think it's the politicians who cannot think beyond whatever suits their purposes that can't get it right.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Merlin, you may well be correct. If so, I hope the stuff I've heard about how they degrade is spot on. Hopefully they could not be used.

4. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Hard to say.