CDZ Spectacle Society

Trump is popular because Americans have become a boorish, superficial, celebrity worshipping society.

I think that is certainly part of it. I believe most people in this country couldn't tell you a policy stand on any candidate and are voting for a letter, R or D.

With trump I'm seeing something else, almost a protest vote. He says what he thinks, unheard of in politics, and isn't a political lifer. It's almost a reaction of disgust.

Trump is popular because Americans have become a boorish, superficial, celebrity worshipping society.

Wrong....Trump is popular because he has actually built something with his life.....he has built a business empire that exists around the world, he took on projects that no one else could finish and finished them, and has managed 10s of thousands of people around the world........

Then, he went on television and created a #1 television show........

He has achieved more than most people will achieve in 2 lives let alone just one.....

obama.....protested stuff, and not much else.....

I think that is certainly part of it. I believe most people in this country couldn't tell you a policy stand on any candidate and are voting for a letter, R or D.

With trump I'm seeing something else, almost a protest vote. He says what he thinks, unheard of in politics, and isn't a political lifer. It's almost a reaction of disgust.

I think you are both correct. People are tired of career politicians that say what they have to to get elected, then do what they want. Time will tell, maybe, if Trump will fall victim to this as well. Assuming he gets elected. If he does (fall victim), may God help us, because there are worse things to come if that plays out. I am seeing a lot of similarities between what is happening now in this country, and what happened in Germany in the '30's. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Trump or anyone else is the next Hitler. Far from it, I am merely saying there are a lot of similarities in the full view of society, and politics in specific, not one specific person or group.

I think you are both correct. People are tired of career politicians that say what they have to to get elected, then do what they want. Time will tell, maybe, if Trump will fall victim to this as well. Assuming he gets elected. If he does (fall victim), may God help us, because there are worse things to come if that plays out. I am seeing a lot of similarities between what is happening now in this country, and what happened in Germany in the '30's. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Trump or anyone else is the next Hitler. Far from it, I am merely saying there are a lot of similarities in the full view of society, and politics in specific, not one specific person or group.

I often think if we give too much credit and blame to presidents, There really is something called "the powers that be" and the presidency isn't nearly the end all of it, both publicly and behind the scenes.

Mr. Trump has already and multiple times shown that he will on one day say what he thinks curries favor and later say/do the exact opposite. A recent example: his averrance to dispense with the vitriolic rhetoric. That lasted how long, not even 24 hours. More examples of his diametrically opposed remarks can be found here and here.

Mr. Trump has already and multiple times shown that he will on one day say what he thinks curries favor and later say/do the exact opposite. A recent example: his averrance to dispense with the vitriolic rhetoric. That lasted how long, not even 24 hours. More examples of his diametrically opposed remarks can be found here and here.

We are witnessing the breakdown of our political system. Trump and Sanders both represent a rejection of status quo politics, and not just a minor shift, this election is the beginning of the end for both major political parties and mainstream corporate media as well.

We are witnessing the breakdown of our political system. Trump and Sanders both represent a rejection of status quo politics, and not just a minor shift, this election is the beginning of the end for both major political parties and mainstream corporate media as well.

Whether it is good or bad, time will tell, but I must agree that there is a huge shift begining. However, this is merely a symptom of the larger problem. That is that many, if not most, in this country are tired of hte "elites" telling them what to do, how to think, what to want, ect. This spills into advertising, politics, education, employment, even banking, and finance. There is a "revolution" (for lack of a better word) coming, my only hope is that it does not turn bloody. "We the people" have been ignored for too long and we are nearing our breaking point, when that happens, the "elite" will see their ivory towers destroyed by the very people they used to build them.

True, I just hope that, if elected, he does not continue. That would cause many of his "followers" to rebel, and he has no idea how to handle that in a civil way.

Whether it is good or bad, time will tell, but I must agree that there is a huge shift begining. However, this is merely a symptom of the larger problem. That is that many, if not most, in this country are tired of hte "elites" telling them what to do, how to think, what to want, ect. This spills into advertising, politics, education, employment, even banking, and finance. There is a "revolution" (for lack of a better word) coming, my only hope is that it does not turn bloody. "We the people" have been ignored for too long and we are nearing our breaking point, when that happens, the "elite" will see their ivory towers destroyed by the very people they used to build them.

There is clear agreement among many folks that a big shit is in the make. The thing is that while I welcome some changes to statuses quo, I don't cotton to the change in the expected status quo of simply telling the truth and the whole truth, or to changing the idea that when a grown and presumably informed/responsible adult adopts and publicly states a position that they can be relied upon to stick with it.

I'm not saying one cannot change one's mind. I'm saying that if one is going to do so, one must own the fact that one was incorrect with one's earlier stance and explain what has changed, what new information brought one to revise one's position. It doesn't matter too much to me what position one adopts at any given point in time. What matters to me is that one exercises integrity in adopting and expressing one's position and views about it. One need not always be objectively right, but one must without fail treat others, one's audience, right. To do that, little is required other than ensuring they understand the nature and scope of one's position and how it came to be as it is at that moment.

That said, at some point, one must expect grown men and women, especially those who would be our elected leaders, to have some key views that hold true and that we who are asked to elect them can rely on remaining in place, absent some truly major shift in circumstances. A reasonable degree of consistency is what some might call that. In that dimension, Mr. Trump fails by my reckoning whereas Mr. Sanders does not, even though I am not particularly keen on each of Mr. Sanders' policy proposals, and I happen to like some of Mr. Trump's policy proposals.

The issue I have with Mr. Trump is that I have zero confidence that were he elected he'd actually follow through with trying to enact the proposals he's articulated and that I like; I don't actually feel confident that I know what the heck he will actually attempt to do. With Mr. Sanders, I'm reasonably confident he'll attempt to achieve his proposals I like and don't like. That's okay to a point; I'll see come about some things I like and some I don't. I can live with that; indeed, I'll have to live with that regardless of who wins the Presidency, for I don't like everything any of the viable candidates have proposed. More than most other things, I want leaders whom I can reasonably know what they are likely try doing and not try doing. That creates stability, and I like stability. I tend to succeed and thrive "playing any game." To me, it's just a matter of understanding the "playing field" and the "rules by which the game is played."

There is clear agreement among many folks that a big shit is in the make. The thing is that while I welcome some changes to statuses quo, I don't cotton to the change in the expected status quo of simply telling the truth and the whole truth, or to changing the idea that when a grown and presumably informed/responsible adult adopts and publicly states a position that they can be relied upon to stick with it.

I'm not saying one cannot change one's mind. I'm saying that if one is going to do so, one must own the fact that one was incorrect with one's earlier stance and explain what has changed, what new information brought one to revise one's position. It doesn't matter too much to me what position one adopts at any given point in time. What matters to me is that one exercises integrity in adopting and expressing one's position and views about it. One need not always be objectively right, but one must without fail treat others, one's audience, right. To do that, little is required other than ensuring they understand the nature and scope of one's position and how it came to be as it is at that moment.

That said, at some point, one must expect grown men and women, especially those who would be our elected leaders, to have some key views that hold true and that we who are asked to elect them can rely on remaining in place, absent some truly major shift in circumstances. A reasonable degree of consistency is what some might call that. In that dimension, Mr. Trump fails by my reckoning whereas Mr. Sanders does not, even though I am not particularly keen on each of Mr. Sanders' policy proposals, and I happen to like some of Mr. Trump's policy proposals.

The issue I have with Mr. Trump is that I have zero confidence that were he elected he'd actually follow through with trying to enact the proposals he's articulated and that I like; I don't actually feel confident that I know what the heck he will actually attempt to do. With Mr. Sanders, I'm reasonably confident he'll attempt to achieve his proposals I like and don't like. That's okay to a point; I'll see come about some things I like and some I don't. I can live with that; indeed, I'll have to live with that regardless of who wins the Presidency, for I don't like everything any of the viable candidates have proposed. More than most other things, I want leaders whom I can reasonably know what they are likely try doing and not try doing. That creates stability, and I like stability. I tend to succeed and thrive "playing any game." To me, it's just a matter of understanding the "playing field" and the "rules by which the game is played."
I would agree with most of what you said (I have yet to hear a proposal from Sanders that I like/agree with) and I think most of us "ordinary citizens" would as well. As I said though, this is but a symtom of the underlying problem. Unless, and until, that problem is brought to light and dealt with we will be on a collision course with a major (and painfull) course correction.

I would agree with most of what you said (I have yet to hear a proposal from Sanders that I like/agree with) and I think most of us "ordinary citizens" would as well. As I said though, this is but a symtom of the underlying problem. Unless, and until, that problem is brought to light and dealt with we will be on a collision course with a major (and painfull) course correction.

Well, that can only be averted when the electorate stops, as another member noted, looking for and voting for/supporting "a letter, R or D."

Make no mistake, I'm well aware that Mr. Trump isn't the only candidate who talks out of both sides of their mouth, or who is less than forthcoming with clear explanations. Just yesterday it came to my attention that Mrs. Clinton in the mid-1990s made some remarks about blacks that reviewed today seem a bit "off." When asked to explain the remarks and express how they apply (or don't) to her current vision of how the country should be run, she defended the remarks rather than merely explaining them and directly answering the inquiry.

That's not exactly the same flaw I've observed re: Mr. Trump, but it's close, close enough that it doesn't endear me to her more or less than I already was keen on her, and it takes away a little bit from the regard I had for her. The key thing for me re: Mr. Trump is that he's "taken away" enough of the regard I once had for him that I now know I won't vote for him; he's done so to the extent that he's become my "whipping boy" of sorts for the ills he manifests and embodies and that disturb me about American culture in general.

I can't understand why so many people give more credit to the American electorate than they deserve.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
H.L. Mencken

Why is this not the central underlying principle in the analysis of the American electorate? People are ignorant, and ignorant people are very dangerous in a representative democracy. They are easily distracted by shiny objects, and Trump is merely a shiny object. Sure, the American people are angry, and justifiably so, but they fail to understand just what they are angry about, or what a rational focus for their anger should be.

"Trump is popular because Americans have become a boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping society."

No, Trump is popular with about a third of republicans who are boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping nitwits.

"Trump is popular because Americans have become a boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping society."

No, Trump is popular with about a third of republicans who are boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping nitwits.
You say that with a conviction I wish I shared. It is also just the Republican primary electorate, which is considerably smaller than the whole party, but still, I'm a little tired of people claiming they know what Trump's "ceiling" is. We haven't found it yet, and I have zero faith in an electorate which voted twice for GWB.

You say that with a conviction I wish I shared. It is also just the Republican primary electorate, which is considerably smaller than the whole party, but still, I'm a little tired of people claiming they know what Trump's "ceiling" is. We haven't found it yet, and I have zero faith in an electorate which voted twice for GWB.
Then a majority of republicans are are boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping nitwits, and they'll nominate Trump, and lose in the GE.

They can't say they weren't warned.

Then a majority of republicans are are boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping nitwits, and they'll nominate Trump, and lose in the GE.

Again, I envy your certitude. The GE is decided by an absurdly narrow band of the American electorate. Our binary party system provides a built-in fatigue factor, and Hillary and Bernie both have a lot of vulnerabilities. We are flirting with disaster.

The majority of Americans are are boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping nitwits. They're the problem, not Trump.

I can't understand why so many people give more credit to the American electorate than they deserve.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
H.L. Mencken

Why is this not the central underlying principle in the analysis of the American electorate? People are ignorant, and ignorant people are very dangerous in a representative democracy. They are easily distracted by shiny objects, and Trump is merely a shiny object. Sure, the American people are angry, and justifiably so, but they fail to understand just what they are angry about, or what a rational focus for their anger should be.

Mr. Trump is not only a "shiny object," but also one that generates additional "shiny objects" for others to contemplate.

For now, I agree. We may have to wait until November to find out whether the statement you quoted will apply, as stated, to Americans in general.

Again, I envy your certitude. The GE is decided by an absurdly narrow band of the American electorate. Our binary party system provides a built-in fatigue factor, and Hillary and Bernie both have a lot of vulnerabilities. We are flirting with disaster.

The majority of Americans are are boorish, superficial, celebrity worshiping nitwits. They're the problem, not Trump.

Unfortunately, I'm certain there's no way we could formulate an equitable means of requiring and confirming one's "non-nitwit" status prior to allowing one to vote in a political election.

Forum List

Back