'Speak English' signs allowed at Philly shop

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press
updated 2 hours, 4 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA - The owner of a famous cheesesteak shop did not discriminate when he posted signs asking customers to speak English, a city panel ruled Wednesday.

In a 2-1 vote, a Commission on Human Relations panel found that two signs at Geno's Steaks telling customers, "This is America: WHEN ORDERING 'PLEASE SPEAK ENGLISH,'" do not violate the city's Fair Practices Ordinance.

more ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23715954/

One for the good guys.

I'll be damned. It did not have to go to the supreme court....... wow.

WooHoo.

I'd be insulted if I saw that sign.

"This is America..."

A reverie:

Well hello,two days ago before I came into this Geno's I spent an hour getting through Customs and Immigration at LAX (they're okay by the way, for some reason the ones in SF are cranky but LAX are really laid back), I got a hire car from Hertz, I drove on the correct (ie right) side of the 405, I got lost (as always) but found my way back again and eventually got to that really interesting La Quinta in Irvine that used to be lima bean silos (careful, if you go to the bar next door and sink too many - it's usually full of drunken UC Irvine students - and go to bed the round room looks even rounder and the damn thing keeps spinning to boot) and had a rest, then visited a few friends in the area and on a major whim flew to Philadelphia on American Airlines because I wanted a cheesesteak and I go into the shop and I see a sign and it says......"This is America.."

Well, no shit Sherlock! It doesn't look like Germany!

:D

I'd be insulted if I saw that sign.

:D

Why, you appear to write English well enough.

What strikes me funny is that if tehy don't speak English, they probably cannot read english either so how the heck does someone who can't read English even know what the sign says?

I find this a bit odd. I agree that English should be the major language and I dislike the incursion of Spanish into our ads etc. even though I am half Hispanic. Language is just another thing to divide us and lord knows we have enough things already. But when traveling to Europe, I do not know French, Italian, or Spanish well enough to do more than point and hope and I appreciate any consideration given us to make our stay comfortable. In heavy tourist areas multi-language menus etc just make good business sense I think. Knowing where some of these steak shops are in Philly they probably don't care much about tourists and are just being ??? as clientele is mostly local.

I don't mind the whole "Please Speak English" bit but the "This is America" is bs. We haven't had an official language for the whole of our time as a country for a reason. America is a nation of all people and languages. America is not an English speaking country. It's a primarily English speaking country. Just because it's America doesn't mean you have to speak English.

goddammit gunny.. I wanted to post this article.

For me, this falls under the "we reserve the right to refuse service" perogative that a private business SHOULD, but doesn't, get these days.

Im calling it now.. this type of thing will increase until it becomes fodder for litigation with a charge of discrimination. In fact, forcing spanish translators will become to this next decade what wheelchair ramps were in the previous decades.

I'm glad that it is still the case that a buisiness owner can still make a few decisions about his operation without some cocksucker with an opinion butting in.

I'm glad that it is still the case that a buisiness owner can still make a few decisions about his operation without some cocksucker with an opinion butting in.

Except of course for the cocksucker of the opinion that the business owner should pay his "fair" share to fund the healthcare needs of people that don't work for him, or even patronize his business.

Just sayin...

Except of course for the cocksucker of the opinion that the business owner should pay his "fair" share to fund the healthcare needs of people that don't work for him, or even patronize his business.

Just sayin...

por que?

Nice....:thup:

IMO, I agree that we should not establish a "national" language. But if you're going to come here, at least make an attempt to speak English.

When I worked in auto parts, we used to have guys (Mexican) come in and set a random (unidentified) part on the counter and say..."bakada bakada bakada bakada bakada chebrolet." (not literally but that's what it sounded like to me) Now how in the hell am I supposed to know what he's talking about? Several of them made no attempt to even try and speak English, or bring a friend that did.

If I'm going to Mexico, I'm taking someone who speaks Spanish with me. If I go to Germany, someone who speaks German is going with me. I think Americans should attempt to learn to speak other languages, however, I think other ethnicities should make a valid attempt to speak English when they come here. ( I only say this because I live fairly close to the U.S./ Mexican border and I deal with this every day.)

I don't think that our democracy requires any particular language...

....but english IS what the people of the nation that everyone seems to wanna flock to speak. While not a necessity, the burden of acclimation falls on the people moving in.. not the other way around. beyond that, however, a private business owner should have the prerogative to make this kind of business decision anyway. It doesn't bother me to hit 1 for Engrish or order from the english menu... but, and Im calling it now, this kind of language barrier will become an accusation of discrimination.

especially since we don't have an official language.

So do I...

I will take the kids to Genos steaks this weekend in recognition of this small victory for the small bus. owner in America...

But just to clarify... this is how you must place an order at Genos steaks in philly or the employees look at you dumbfounded like you have lobsters coming out of your ears..

For a family of four

One with wiz.

One without american.

One fried swiss

One without

That is how you order four cheesteaks at Genos steaks in Philadelphia...

Translation:

One with wiz = 1 cheese steak with raw onins and cheese wiz..
One without American= 1 cheese steak with American cheess no onoins...
One fried Swiss= 1 cheese steak with fried onions and swiss cheese...
One without= 1 steak sandwich no onoins no cheese

Now I ask you.... is that English?

jesus christ I can still remember the cheasesteaks from philly I had more than ten years ago.

I've tried, on numerous occasions, to have friends from the area ship them to me but it always falls through. You, sir, are a lucky man.

jesus christ I can still remember the cheasesteaks from philly I had more than ten years ago.

I've tried, on numerous occasions, to have friends from the area ship them to me but it always falls through. You, sir, are a lucky man.

I'll be happy to...

Forum List

Back