Spate of Executions and Amputations in Iran

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By NAZILA FATHI
Published: January 11, 2008

TEHRAN — Using strict enforcement of Islamic law, the judicial authorities in a restive region of southern Iran amputated the right hands and left feet of five convicted robbers this week, part of what the government said was an effort to deter other troublemakers.

An Iranian rights group led by Shirin Ebadi, the lawyer and Nobel Peace Prize winner, protested the double amputations, which it called an expansion of cruel punishments in Iran. The group also protested a spate of public executions reported over the past two weeks.

“Unfortunately, the violation of human rights in Iran has not only been expanded in some fields, it has also found new dimensions,” Ms. Ebadi’s group, which calls itself Defenders of Human Rights, said in a statement.

Iranian newspapers on Thursday reported the hanging of seven men convicted of murder and drug smuggling in different cities this week. In the first 10 days of January there have been 23 publicly disclosed executions.

“Figures confirm that executions have increased in Iran,” Ms. Ebadi said in an interview. “We have issued statements several times and have said that we are against punishment by death.”

Iran has been an active user of the death penalty, usually hanging, and is one of several countries that opposed its abolition last month during a vote on the United Nations General Assembly resolution, joining in an unusual alliance with the United States. Officials argued that the abolition of the death penalty would be an infringement on Iran’s sovereignty.

Amputation has been a punishment in Iran since the Islamic revolution of 1979 installed Islamic law, but Iran’s judicial authorities have rarely publicized examples of its use and have rarely ordered double amputations. In the newly publicized instances, the courts ordered the right hand and left foot cut off, making it difficult, if not impossible, for the condemned to walk, even with a cane or crutches.

A statement by the Judicial Branch in Sistan-Baluchistan Province, where the convicted robbers were punished, said it hoped the double amputations would “teach a lesson to other criminals,” the news agency ISNA reported.

It was not clear when this week the amputations were carried out. Reports said doctors watched to limit bleeding and infection during the procedure.

more ... http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/w...f314b31490c2ba&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Such a nice place to live.:rolleyes:

For a first offense I think its extreme... But If we are talking about 3rd or 4th offenses the punisment sounds justified and fair...

Indeed I wouldn't want to live in Iran. But that's as far as that goes. I also wouldn't want to die in the military trying to tell them all how to live, and neither would any of you idiots.

I know you're using this as a pretext for waging another war, and if thats what you want, suit up. Otherwise, there's worse atrocities in the world than what's happening in Iran. Either you're a humanitarian or a war monger. Which one?

Over 40 Million Abortions
in U.S. since 1973

There have been more than 40 million abortions in the twenty six years since the U.S. Supreme Court legalized unrestricted abortion on January 22, 1973.

Except when noted, the following statistics are based on research published by the Alan Guttmacher Institute, special research affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America--the nation's largest provider and promoter of abortion. Estimates for 1997 and 1998 are based on trends from previous years.

In the past, AGI has estimated a possible 3-6% rate of underreporting. The following uses the lower figure.

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/aboramt.html

I wonder how they view the morality of this in Iran

Indeed I wouldn't want to live in Iran. But that's as far as that goes. I also wouldn't want to die in the military trying to tell them all how to live, and neither would any of you idiots.

I know you're using this as a pretext for waging another war, and if thats what you want, suit up. Otherwise, there's worse atrocities in the world than what's happening in Iran. Either you're a humanitarian or a war monger. Which one?

Well, at least you're honest. Full of it, but honest. You've made quite a sweeping judgement based on nothing but assumption.

Who is using what as a pretext to waging another war? An article on Iran's interal policies is hardly a pretext for war, nor "wanting to die in the military trying to tell them how to live."

Second, I "suited up" every day for 20+ years and would do it again in a heartbeat.

As far as your final sentence goes ... bullshit. This isn't a black and white only world and your belief that it is doesn't make it any more so. There's a LOT of area between bleeding heart liberal extremist and warmonger. DOn't let your alligator mouth overload your bumblebee ass.

b
Over 40 Million Abortions
in U.S. since 1973

There have been more than 40 million abortions in the twenty six years since the U.S. Supreme Court legalized unrestricted abortion on January 22, 1973.

Except when noted, the following statistics are based on research published by the Alan Guttmacher Institute, special research affiliate of Planned Parenthood Federation of America--the nation's largest provider and promoter of abortion. Estimates for 1997 and 1998 are based on trends from previous years.

In the past, AGI has estimated a possible 3-6% rate of underreporting. The following uses the lower figure.

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/aboramt.html

I wonder how they view the morality of this in Iran

Great point EOTS... I love American Libs... screaming for human rights around the world, and in the meantime they support the barbaric killing of children in their own house...

Americans are the last people that should complain about human rights around the world.... no one does less than Americans when it comes to protecting the innocent ...

New Topics

Forum List

Back