SpaceX to fly two space tourists around the moon in 2018

You are aware that technology has come a LONG way since the Saturn V program, right? There is more computing power in a smart phone than what the Saturn V had for the whole of their onboard computers. And, there is the FACT that SpaceX has successfully launched a rocket into orbit and landed it back on earth safely over 8 times so far.

Nope, if I had the money and was able to go, I'd trust the tech to get me there and back safely.
Computers do not give you TLI. 8 million lbf of thrust does.
Comparing what Space X has launched with something that gives you that thrust is like comparing a paper airplane to a 747.

Here's the specs on the Merlin engine developed by Space X.......

Merlin 1
Main article: Merlin (rocket engine family)
Merlin 1 is a family of LOX/RP-1 rocket engines developed 2003–2012. Merlin 1A and Merlin 1B utilized an ablatively cooled carbon fiber composite nozzle. Merlin 1A produced 340 kilonewtons (76,000 lbf) of thrust and was used to power the first stage of the first two Falcon 1 flights in 2006 and 2007. Merlin 1B had a somewhat more powerful turbo-pump, and generated more thrust, but was never flown on a flight vehicle before SpaceX's move to the Merlin 1C.

Merlin 1D rocket engines on a Falcon 9 v1.1 launch vehicle in SLC-40 hangar, April 2014
The Merlin 1C was the first in the family to use a regeneratively cooled nozzle and combustion chamber. It was first fired with a full mission duty firing in 2007,[3] first flew on the third Falcon 1 mission in August 2008,[4] powered the "first privately-developed liquid-fueled rocket to successfully reach orbit" (Falcon 1 Flight 4) in September 2008,[4] and subsequently powered the first five Falcon 9 flights — each flown with a version 1.0 Falcon 9 launch vehicle — from 2010 through 2013.[5]

The Merlin 1D, was in development in 2011–2012, also with a regeneratively cooled nozzle and combustion chamber, has a vacuum thrust of 690 kN (155,000 lbf), a vacuum specific impulse (Isp) of 310 s, an increased expansion ratio of 16 (as opposed to the previous 14.5 of the Merlin 1C) and chamber pressure of 9.7 MPa (1,410 psi). A new feature for the engine is the ability to throttle from 100% to 70%.[6] The engine's 150:1 thrust-to-weight ratio is the highest ever achieved for a rocket engine.[7][8] The first flight of the Merlin 1D engine was also the maiden Falcon 9 v1.1 flight.[9] On 29 September 2013, the Falcon 9 Flight 6 mission successfully launched the Canadian Space Agency's CASSIOPE satellite into polar orbit, and proved that the Merlin 1D could be restarted to control the first stage's re-entry back into the atmosphere—part of the SpaceX reusable launch system flight test program—a necessary step in making the rocket reusable.[10]
What's 76,000 lbf going to do when you need 8 million?

Are you sure that is what is required to make it to the moon? And, just like the Saturn V program did, you can have several engines in several stages. I think Saturn V had different stages with 4 engines each.
You can get to the moon with a 76,000 lbf rocket. Will take you about 6 months.

Like I said, Saturn V had several stages and more than just one engine. A Space X rocket could do the same.

Trump and Pence would be perfect first customers

Source: CNN

Two thrill seekers are paying SpaceX to make a trip around the moon next year.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced Monday afternoon that the space tourists had already placed a significant deposit for the trip. The travelers will undergo fitness tests and begin training later this year.

"Like the Apollo astronauts before them, these individuals will travel into space carrying the hopes and dreams of all humankind, driven by the universal human spirit of exploration," SpaceX said in a blog post.

SpaceX to fly two space tourists around the moon in 2018

Two thrill seeking rich guys "will travel into space carrying the hopes and dreams of all humankind". Is this a joke?
There aren't many things that didn't start out as toys for the rich but thanks to demand and capitalism the prices eventual go down to a point that most people can afford these items. Because of private industry space will eventually be available to us all.

Forget the people, forget the capsule, forget the money.

Took a Saturn V, the worlds largest rocket ever built, to get our guys there in 3 days.
They are not going to rebuild something of that caliber and get it to space in one piece.

You are aware that technology has come a LONG way since the Saturn V program, right? There is more computing power in a smart phone than what the Saturn V had for the whole of their onboard computers. And, there is the FACT that SpaceX has successfully launched a rocket into orbit and landed it back on earth safely over 8 times so far.

Nope, if I had the money and was able to go, I'd trust the tech to get me there and back safely.
Comparing what Space X has launched with something that gives you that thrust is like comparing a paper airplane to a 747.

Merlin 1
Merlin 1 is a family of LOX/RP-1 rocket engines developed 2003–2012. Merlin 1A and Merlin 1B utilized an ablatively cooled carbon fiber composite nozzle. Merlin 1A produced 340 kilonewtons (76,000 lbf) of thrust and was used to power the first stage of the first two Falcon 1 flights in 2006 and 2007. Merlin 1B had a somewhat more powerful turbo-pump, and generated more thrust, but was never flown on a flight vehicle before SpaceX's move to the Merlin 1C.

Merlin 1D rocket engines on a Falcon 9 v1.1 launch vehicle in SLC-40 hangar, April 2014
The Merlin 1C was the first in the family to use a regeneratively cooled nozzle and combustion chamber. It was first fired with a full mission duty firing in 2007,[3] first flew on the third Falcon 1 mission in August 2008,[4] powered the "first privately-developed liquid-fueled rocket to successfully reach orbit" (Falcon 1 Flight 4) in September 2008,[4] and subsequently powered the first five Falcon 9 flights — each flown with a version 1.0 Falcon 9 launch vehicle — from 2010 through 2013.[5]

The Merlin 1D, was in development in 2011–2012, also with a regeneratively cooled nozzle and combustion chamber, has a vacuum thrust of 690 kN (155,000 lbf), a vacuum specific impulse (Isp) of 310 s, an increased expansion ratio of 16 (as opposed to the previous 14.5 of the Merlin 1C) and chamber pressure of 9.7 MPa (1,410 psi). A new feature for the engine is the ability to throttle from 100% to 70%.[6] The engine's 150:1 thrust-to-weight ratio is the highest ever achieved for a rocket engine.[7][8] The first flight of the Merlin 1D engine was also the maiden Falcon 9 v1.1 flight.[9] On 29 September 2013, the Falcon 9 Flight 6 mission successfully launched the Canadian Space Agency's CASSIOPE satellite into polar orbit, and proved that the Merlin 1D could be restarted to control the first stage's re-entry back into the atmosphere—part of the SpaceX reusable launch system flight test program—a necessary step in making the rocket reusable.[10]

Are you sure that is what is required to make it to the moon? And, just like the Saturn V program did, you can have several engines in several stages. I think Saturn V had different stages with 4 engines each.
The J-2 engine of the third stage on a Saturn V had 110,000 lbf thrust.

Merlin 1

Like I said, Saturn V had several stages and more than just one engine. A Space X rocket could do the same.
I know they can do it. But they don't have anything and need to design and test it. Be cheaper just trying to recreate a Saturn V, but my understanding is a lot of the drawings are gone now.

Merlin 1

I know they can do it. But they don't have anything and need to design and test it. Be cheaper just trying to recreate a Saturn V, but my understanding is a lot of the drawings are gone now.

How would it be cheaper? Saturn V was a one time use rocket, and Space X's rockets can be reused.

How would it be cheaper? Saturn V was a one time use rocket, and Space X's rockets can be reused.
To develop a rocket that size that could land is decades away even if the money is there.

To develop a rocket that size that could land is decades away even if the money is there.

They're not going to land on the moon, they are just going to fly around it.

And.............if it was impossible like you are claiming, then why would Space X announce they will launch next year?

Oh wait................forgot................in today's society, anything you disagree with is supposed to be fake news.

They're not going to land on the moon, they are just going to fly around it.

And.............if it was impossible like you are claiming, then why would Space X announce they will launch next year?

Oh wait................forgot................in today's society, anything you disagree with is supposed to be fake news.
It is not about landing it is about getting there. TLI - Trans Lunar Insertion. Takes a lot of thrust to get there in 3 days.
That's my point, I have no idea why they made that announcement. I do not see anything in their arsenal that can do it.

They're gonna die. All I ever hear about SpaceX is they keep blowing up rockets. Kinda like N Korea.
Hopefully Trump will volunteer to go up in space to help his approval ratings.

I coulda swear thought I heard Trump saying.......... He knows more than NASA during one of his news conference.
Trump: Trust me folks trust me. I know more than NASA.
Breitbart & Fox: How so Mr. President?
Trump: In less than 4 years I will tell NASA to send our astronauts to the SUN.
Infowars: Sir........ sun is so hot our astronauts will disintegrate millions miles before they reach the sun.
Trump: It's very simple folks...... I WILL INSTRUCT NASA TO LAND AT NIGHT TIME.
Breitbart, Fox, Infowars: clap clap clap brilliant Mr. President brilliant.

Forum List

Back