SPACE-X announces planned launch of world's most powerful rocket

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
WASHINGTON – Today, Elon Musk, CEO and chief rocket designer of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) unveiled the dramatic final specifications and launch date for the Falcon Heavy, the world’s largest rocket.

“Falcon Heavy will carry more payload to orbit or escape velocity than any vehicle in history, apart from the Saturn V moon rocket, which was decommissioned after the Apollo program. This opens a new world of capability for both government and commercial space missions,” Musk told a press conference at the National Press Club in Washington, DC.

"Falcon Heavy will arrive at our Vandenberg, California, launch complex by the end of next year, with liftoff to follow soon thereafter. First launch from our Cape Canaveral launch complex is planned for late 2013 or 2014.”

jpeg

Falcon Heavy, the world's most powerful rocket

The 2012 budget for four Air Force launches is $1.74B, which is an average of $435M per launch.
Falcon 9 is offered on the commercial market for $50-60M and Falcon Heavy is offered for $80-$125M.
Unlike competitors, this price includes all non-recurring development costs and on-orbit delivery of an agreed upon mission.
For government missions, NASA has added mission assurance and additional services to the Falcon 9 for less than $20M.

Vehicle Overview

Mass to Orbit (200 km, 28.5 deg): . . . .53 metric tons (117,000 lbs)
Length: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 69.2 meters (227 ft)
Max Stage Width: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.2 m (17 ft)
Total Width: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .11.6 meters (38 ft)
Weight at Liftoff: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,400 metric tons or 3.1 million lbs
Thrust on Liftoff: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1,700 metric tons or 3.8 million lbs

VIDEO of Falcon Heavy lift off (begins at 00:24 secs)

Last edited:
Is that an artist's conception, or is that a rocket in your pocket?
I didn't comment, but you are very quick to notice, it's an artist's conception and the video is what is known as a "simulation" MR. H.
I has yet to fly.

My dream as a kid was to fly, and when I got out of college that's just what I did.
Got my pilot's license and logged about 100 hours in SEL VFR aircraft.
It's a trip

Forum List

Back