South Park vs. Scientology

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
So, they were supposed to rerun the Scientology episode this past Wednesday and they pulled it at the last second. Now the rumor mills are running wild. Here's an article from Variety with a genius quote from Trey and Matt.

Inside Move: 'South Park' feeling some celeb heat?
Cable net abruptly pulls repeat of Scientology episode

By MICHAEL FLEMING

'South Park'
A repeat of the Scientology episode of 'South Park' was pulled by Comedy Central.

The battle between "South Park""South Park" creators Trey ParkerTrey Parker and Matt StoneMatt Stone and Scientology is escalating.

The dust-up gained steam last week when Isaac Hayes, a practicing Scientologist who has long been the voice of the character Chef, quit after objecting to a "South Park" episode called "Trapped in the Closet," which lampooned both the religion and Tom CruiseTom Cruise.

The skirmish continued this week, when Comedy CentralComedy Central abruptly pulled a repeat of that episode that was scheduled to air Wednesday evening. Showing instead was another memorable segseg which featured Hayes's character, called "Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls."

Blog reports pegged the mysterious episode switch to objections raised by Cruise, who, the reports stated, threatened to not promote "Mission: Impossible 3," the summer tentpole for ViacomViacom-owned Paramount.

A spokesman for Cruise denied that Cruise had ever made such a threat. "He never said any such thing about 'Mission: Impossible 3," the spokesman said.

While the "South Park" creators didn't directly comment on Comedy Central's decision to pull the episode, they issued an unusual statement to Daily Variety indicating the battle is not over.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

its on! battlefield earth style!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/17/D8GDJQS00.html

'South Park'-Scientology Battle Rages On
Mar 17 5:51 PM US/Eastern

By ERIN CARLSON
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK

"South Park" has declared war on Scientology. Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the animated satire, are digging in against the celebrity-endorsed religion after a controversial episode mocking outspoken Scientologist Tom Cruise was yanked abruptly from the schedule Wednesday _ with Internet rumors it was covert warfare by Cruise that led to its departure.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obsructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

Internet bloggers accused Cruise of threatening to not promote "Mission Impossible 3," a surefire summer blockbuster, if the offending episode ran. Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, as is Paramount, which is putting out "MI:3."

But Cruise's representative, Arnold Robinson, told The Associated Press Friday that the mega-star made no such demands.

"Not true," Robinson said. "I can tell you that he never said that."

A call by The Associated Press to a Paramount representative was not returned Friday.

The episode in question, "Trapped in the Closet," which first aired last November, shows Scientology leaders hailing Stan, one of the show's four devilish fourth graders, as a savior. A cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out. An animated John Travolta, another famous Scientologist, enters the closet to try to get him out.

In another dig at the famously secretive religion, the credits at show's end are filled with names like "John Smith" and "Jane Smith."

The battle began in earnest earlier this week when Isaac Hayes, another celebrity Scientologist and longtime show member _ voicing the ladies' man Chef _ quit the show, saying he could no longer tolerate its religious "intolerance and bigotry."

Stone and Parker didn't buy that either.

On Monday, Stone told The Associated Press, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith in Scientology...He has no problem _ and he's cashed plenty of checks _ with our show making fun of Christians."

A Comedy Central spokesman said Friday that the network pulled the controversial episode to make room for two shows featuring Hayes.

"In light of the events of earlier this week, we wanted to give Chef an appropriate tribute by airing two episodes he is most known for," the spokesman said.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obsructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

:rotflmao:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I almost passed out!

no1tovote4 said:

:rotflmao:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I almost passed out!

Here too!!!! a real coffee spewer---thanks for sharing !!

I told you they were prophets. I think when humanity looks back in 100 years or so, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are going to be looked upon as the greatest minds of this generation. In an age of Political Correctness, these 2 break the mold and challenge people's sensibilities. South Park is the greatest show ever made. :beer:

insein said:
I told you they were prophets. I think when humanity looks back in 100 years or so, Matt Stone and Trey Parker are going to be looked upon as the greatest minds of this generation. In an age of Political Correctness, these 2 break the mold and challenge people's sensibilities. South Park is the greatest show ever made. :beer:

I never watched it much until I caught the global warming episode. It was so funny I had to start watching more.

South Park, over the past four or five years, has gotten very focused. When it first started, it was good, but it appealed more to a teenage guy audience, I think. Now, I think it's the best political satire on TV. You gotta wonder how these guys continue to have a career in Hollywood, the way they crap all over Scientology, liberalism, actors in general, Hollywood in general, etc.

I saw a great interview with them on Charlie Rose, he asked them about why they seem to have more of a Republican slant now. Trey Parker told him that he hates anything associated with Hollywood, and that every phony in Hollywood tries to gain "cool" points by trashing Bush, so he likes to go to big Hollywood parties and just say stuff like "I love Bush as much as I love my guns!" just to piss people off.

They were heroes of mine already, but their quote from this article put them way at the top of the list.

Dan said:
South Park, over the past four or five years, has gotten very focused. When it first started, it was good, but it appealed more to a teenage guy audience, I think. Now, I think it's the best political satire on TV. You gotta wonder how these guys continue to have a career in Hollywood, the way they crap all over Scientology, liberalism, actors in general, Hollywood in general, etc.

I saw a great interview with them on Charlie Rose, he asked them about why they seem to have more of a Republican slant now. Trey Parker told him that he hates anything associated with Hollywood, and that every phony in Hollywood tries to gain "cool" points by trashing Bush, so he likes to go to big Hollywood parties and just say stuff like "I love Bush as much as I love my guns!" just to piss people off.

They were heroes of mine already, but their quote from this article put them way at the top of the list.

Ya really need to get a grip on reality..."South Park" is a cartoon..a cartoon only...Please do yourself a favor and enlist in the military...experience life "First Hand" vs cartoons!

archangel said:
Ya really need to get a grip on reality..."South Park" is a cartoon..a cartoon only...Please do yourself a favor and enlist in the military...experience life "First Hand" vs cartoons!

No shit ,Sherlock---it's a cartoon--funny entertainment directed at more mature minds than Walt Disney was targeting.

dilloduck said:
No shit ,Sherlock---it's a cartoon--funny entertainment directed at more mature minds than Walt Disney was targeting.

Mature minds form opinions based on cartoons? Humm... dillo ya really need to take a break! :wine:

archangel said:

Understand that its guys like that that respect what the military does. By ensuring Free Speech is used to enlighten the minds of the masses instead of dumbing them down and ignoring the obvious truths of life, Matt and Trey stand for what is right in this country.

No, I understand what Arch is saying. The only way to possibly have an opinion on something is to experience it yourself. Or to be in the military. I'm not sure. Anyway, he's set me straight, I'll go burn all my books and bust apart my guitar since that stuff isn't reality, as opposed to spending 90% of your day bitching to strangers on message boards to make yourself feel good. That's about as real as it gets.

So, Arch, based on your claims, I wonder how you can support Bush? I mean, YOU'VE never been president. Ya really need to get a grip on reality.

Forum List

Back