Racist Cartoon - "Minoriteam" - Get Your Tivo Ready In Case It's Cancelled

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Sunday night at Midnight (probably Eastern time).

I'm waiting for the riots.

------

Beware, guardians of political correctness, there's a new threat in the TV universe and they've marshalled the momentum of racial and ethnic inequality.

They're the "Minoriteam," a gang of superheroes who use racial stereotypes to fight bigotry. The animated series - created by Adam de la Peña, Todd James and Peter Girardi - premieres Sunday at midnight on the Cartoon Network.

The show, said de la Peña, 29, "is about all the little, stupid things that divide us."

The Minoriteam is led by the gifted Doctor Wang, who has a gigantic head and is confined to a wheelchair. His team includes Neil Horvitz, aka Jewcano. Corporate grunt by day, he morphs into a yarmulke-wearing bearded superhero who, a voiceover tells us, "possesses all the power of the Jewish faith and a volcano!" Landon K. Dutton evolves from an emasculated women's studies professor into the jive-talkin' Fasto, who channels his rage to run fast. And oil billionaire Richard Escartin shape shifts into El Jefe, a sombrero wearing Mexican who fights with a tricked-out weed whacker. The teams' arch nemesis is White Shadow, the one-eyed CEO of a nefarious corporation whose cadre of baddies includes Racist Frankenstein, Standardized Test and the Corporate Ladder.

"Minoriteam" aims to unite with unabashedly un-PC humor.

"It's got to be funny," said de la Peña. "I'm not about preaching to anybody."

Like all successful satire, "Minoriteam" is an equal opportunity basher.

"We realized that this could not just be the slam whitey hour," said James.

The absurd mores of corporate culture is a big repository for mockery. And, James pointed out, "the team themselves don't get off scot-free."

For instance, "they have issues with women."

Indeed, everyone's got their kryptonite and Fasto's is women - lots of them. In one episode, Jewcano becomes sexually aroused by a nickel and El Jefe goes gaga at the sight of a low-rider Cadillac.

The creators are prepared for the inevitable finger-wagging.

"We don't go into it trying to offend people," said de la Peña."People get mad at everything," joked Girardi. "They'll say, 'Hey, wait a minute, how come White Shadow has one eye? My son only has one eye!'"

And besides, said de la Peña, they have an ironclad justification for every single scenario. "These things are based on actual events."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/400291p-339125c.html

I saw the first episode a while back, it's not really that great. More or less just goes for shock value.

Dan said:
I saw the first episode a while back, it's not really that great. More or less just goes for shock value.

Kinda like a shorter version of Drawn Together? I still dont know why i continue to watch that horrible show. Yet i tivo it every week and regret it everytime, lol. ITs similar to watching a trainwreck. OR old people having sex.

Hah, I'm the same way with Drawn Together. A lot of my friends like it, so I end up watching it a lot, even though I think it's garbage.

Minoriteam is a lot better than Drawn Together, but it's basically the same joke over and over again. The black guy can run fast and is scared of white people, etc.

It is better than The Boondocks, though.

Dan said:
Hah, I'm the same way with Drawn Together. A lot of my friends like it, so I end up watching it a lot, even though I think it's garbage.

Minoriteam is a lot better than Drawn Together, but it's basically the same joke over and over again. The black guy can run fast and is scared of white people, etc.

It is better than The Boondocks, though.

Boondocks annoy me. It has good artists but the stories are boring. Its seems like one note with that guy. White people hate black people. Black people are afraid of white people. and so on and so on.

Boondocks annoy me. It has good artists but the stories are boring. Its seems like one note with that guy. White people hate black people. Black people are afraid of white people. and so on and so on.

Yeah, it's basically like if you took any Def Comedy Jam routine from the early 90s and animated it, that's the Boondocks. There was one episode that, while unfunny, made a good point that if MLK, Jr. came back to life today, he would be horrified at what black people have become (blaming all their problems on white people, bragging about their grillz, etc.).

I dunno, I guess a lot of people like it because it's edgy (in other words, because they use the n-word a lot), and the animation is pretty cool in a ghetto anime kinda way, but like I said, the jokes were pretty old when they were doing them 10 years ago.

Plus, after Chappelle's Show, you really gotta work super-hard to make good comedy about race relations, something like the black white supremacist bit or the Mad Real World is way funnier and smarter than every episode of The Boondocks put together.

Forum List

Back