South Dakota's one and only Representative

South Dakota is one of 6ish states where each citizen's vote counts for more than the rest of the country. They get 3 electoral votes. 2 for their 2 senators and 1 for their congressman. But the rules that determine the number of congressman per state do not apply to those states because they don't have enough people to support a single full fledged congressman.

Anyways... fun fact.

VA population as of 2010 - 8.1 million
VA # of congressman at 2010 - 11

That means 737,000 per electoral vote

Wyoming population as of 2010 - 563,000

That means 563,000 per electoral vote

Which is why we need an HOR of at least 1,000 and we need to use the Wyoming rule.

In other words, a CD would have be be at least as small as the population of Wyoming, or smaller.

317 million citizens / 1000 reps = ca. 317,000 constituents per rep.

in 1800, it was 30,000 constituents per rep.

I would be a start to fairer representation.

I don't like this idea for a reason that occurred to me while looking at South Dakota and Idaho, which have 1 and 2 Representatives respectively. 7 states have 1 Representative. California has 53, Texas 36, Florida and New York 27 each. While I understand the 2 Senators person state and each Representative represents certain number of people I don't think the Founding Fathers ever contemplated such a concentration of people. I expect I will get a better feel for how this balance has real affects on the House over the next few months. From first appearances however I think South Dakota with more than 1 and California will less than 53 would be a more accurate representation of the nation.

Rep. Noem claims she is so concerned about sex trafficking. One of, if the, number one supply of people into the sex trafficking industry are the invisible individuals who are the illegal immigrants coming into this country. Illegal immigrants are not going to have anywhere to turn if the system is only against them. If Rep. Noem is sincere about her advocation let her back comprehensive immigration reform, otherwise she is just another talking head trying to manipulate votes for her own agenda.
[ame=http://youtu.be/qbJiMbzR51g]KELOLAND: Kristi Discusses the Issue of Sex Trafficking in SD - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back