Sotomayor's Bad 1st Amendment Decision Should Disqualify Her

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Agnapostate, May 27, 2009.

1. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    This was from the beginning at the month before Sotomayor was confirmed as Obama's nominee, but obviously still plays an important role in determining her perspective on First Amendment issues.

Sotomayor's Bad 1st Amendment Decision Should Disqualify Her - Paul Levinson - Open Salon

And there's a somewhat opposed view here.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    No one against free speech should be allowed in any office, period.

3. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Man, that's whack.

4. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Sounds like most Libs to me...

What I agree with is great regardless, what I disagree with is shit regardless. No principles, no weighing the pros and cons, just pure, unadulterated bias. It must be nice to occupy the moral high ground and not have to consider anything other than what you already believe.

5. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Clarence Thomas is the only current justice entirely opposed to Tinker v. Des Moines and student free speech rights. And honestly, the conservative majority (Roberts, Thomas, Scalia, Alito, and the right-leaning Kennedy), should be considered the more troublesome lot, since they were the ones responsible for the majority ruling in Morse v. Frederick (the 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case). That said, I'm honestly surprised that there are people who find such blatant authoritarian suppression of student free speech rights acceptable. I mean, hell, I gave my vice-principal the Nazi salute and the ACLU was still willing to defend me for it.

6. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    That is because your an idiot. Hey thanks for proving it.

Bad decision in my opinion but legally sound. Students do NOT have the same rights as everyone else. The School personnel must be able to maintain control over the Student Body and be able to address any and all situations.

In this single case, one could argue that since it was done off school it should be exempted, HOWEVER she was running for a position of some importance with IN the School and basically stated she found the people that would supervise her in those duties to be ignorant. She got what she deserved in the end.

7. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Moron, your dumb ass doesn't know what happened, so don't pretend to.

I've attempted to address this legal ignorance of yours several times. It is indeed the case that students do not possess the same constitutional rights in school as they (or adults) might possess elsewhere. However, it is indeed a reality that they possess some degree of constitutional rights within school, as established by Tinker v. Des Moines. Please familiarize yourself with case law before spewing nonsense.

Lemme tell ya, Insurgent...over the past few days, you've posted some of the most legally retarded bullshit I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
    You've tried to repeat some idiocy that adults will get convicted of statutory rape for sexual interactions with persons above the age of consent. You've opined that it's necessary for people who believe that waterboarding is illegal to advocate the prosecution of those involved in SERE training. But this nonsense is by far the worst, IMO.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    Sure thing retard.

9. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    :rofl:

Now, ain't that just classic RetardedGayInsurgent right there? Short and sweet! Majestic eloquence for a man of few words! :clap2:

Oh wait...I meant "stupid," not sweet. Short and stupid. ;)