Something in the water: N.S. man unsure what creature broke his arm in St. Margarets Bay

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Glenn Singleton didn't see the creature that rammed into his arm while swimming in St. Margarets Bay, but he sure felt it.

Last Wednesday, Singleton and his wife arrived at their rented cottage on Boutiliers Point just outside Halifax for a few days of summer vacation, he recently told CBC's Mainstreet.

The Dartmouth man said he decided to go for a swim around 4 p.m. He entered the water cautiously since he was unfamiliar with the area, and noticed there was lots of seaweed.

He swam out a few lengths to get into clearer, chest-deep water where he rolled onto his back in a leisurely float.

"All of a sudden, there was a crack. It sounded like someone hit a home run. And the excruciating, instant pain was unbelievable," he said.

Reason number 546 wildlife is beautiful................................in pictures.

Glenn Singleton didn't see the creature that rammed into his arm while swimming in St. Margarets Bay, but he sure felt it.

Last Wednesday, Singleton and his wife arrived at their rented cottage on Boutiliers Point just outside Halifax for a few days of summer vacation, he recently told CBC's Mainstreet.

The Dartmouth man said he decided to go for a swim around 4 p.m. He entered the water cautiously since he was unfamiliar with the area, and noticed there was lots of seaweed.

He swam out a few lengths to get into clearer, chest-deep water where he rolled onto his back in a leisurely float.

"All of a sudden, there was a crack. It sounded like someone hit a home run. And the excruciating, instant pain was unbelievable," he said.

Reason number 546 wildlife is beautiful................................in pictures.

Probably just a shark that was trying to eat him. No big deal.

iu

You know, there's these "crabs" where I'm from..that "science" had claimed were extinct for a jillion years, but they're all over the place.

Dolphin's use their strong snouts to ram sharks to injure them and drive them off. Maybe a dolphin mistook the man for a shark and rammed him? ... :cool:
Doubtful.
Those things are damn smart. One time one slid up on the beach to party with us..and it was all good..until MY dog saw it and went up barking at his head..he did not hurt my dog, he just slipped back into the water.
I bet those things weigh about 800 lbs, the size of my dog was from his snout to the shoulder..
he had a lot more body than that. That dog was 90 lbs.
Have you ever been embarrassed because it was your dog that ran off the dolphin? (Porpoise)
Well, I have. I know they kick the shit out of Orcas at times, too.
They are a people-friendly creature, so are Manatees.
They have a mouth full of sharp teeth, too, should they choose to use them. They are usually pretty cool.

Last edited:
Dolphin's use their strong snouts to ram sharks to injure them and drive them off. Maybe a dolphin mistook the man for a shark and rammed him? ... :cool:

After spending 45 years in the Gulf of mehico and the surrounding bays I couldnt even hazard to guess what hit the guy.
I've been surprised numerous times and never knew what hit me.
There's still unidentified things out there.

Doubtful.
Those things are damn smart. One time one slid up on the beach to party with us..and it was all good..until MY dog saw it and went up barking at his head..he did not hurt my dog, he just slipped back into the water.
I bet those things weigh about 800 lbs, the size of my dog was from his snout to the shoulder..
he had a lot more body than that. That dog was 90 lbs.

Yep...
I've had em swim up to me several times wade fishing.
The first time scares the shit out of you!!!!
They really just smell your fish on the stringer or your bait.
Had something drag me at least a dozen foot by my stringer. I figure it was a shark since the 1/4 inch stringer was cut.
I now tie my stringer to my belt with 50lb mono.

I have no idea what is in the waters in that area. I know my own..Some things I have done may have been a bit risky. A 10-foot Bull Shark can come up into 2 1/2 feet of water.
It doesn't take a huge shark to hurt you, a 3 foot one will hurt you.
We have bull sharks here, they're really not too aggressive, just don't have fish on a stringer or a bleeding pussy around.
They are sharks, but I've seen worse sharks. Those are called Tiger Sharks, and they are just evil brought to earth. They're in the category with grasshoppers and Diamondbacks. They all need to die!!!

Last edited:
I have no idea what is in the waters in that area. I know my own..Some things I have done may have been a bit risky.

Pretty much the same fish/mammals that are in Florida.
We even get manatees on occasion.
I used to know where to find a manatee every day, I'd give him/her veggies that were going bad from the fridge.
Carrots, lettuce..1/2 a cabbage. They love that stuff, they're really nice.
This particular one had 3 slices on its back from a boat motor.

I have no idea what is in the waters in that area. I know my own..Some things I have done may have been a bit risky.

Pretty much the same fish/mammals that are in Florida.
We even get manatees on occasion.
I used to know where to find a manatee every day, I'd give him/her veggies that were going bad from the fridge.
Carrots, lettuce..1/2 a cabbage. They love that stuff, they're really nice.
This particular one had 3 slices on its back from a boat motor.

Thats a common injury for em.
Glad they seem to be able to survive em.
Not a mammal we want to see disappear from our waters.
Yeah I know,I can some times sound like an animal rights activist. But I feel the same way about the Geese that used to cover the skies here in Katy Texas.
They're no more...the suburban sprawl has wiped out all their habitat.

This article and the subsequent conversation makes me curious as to what a 40-mile-an-hour dolphin headbutt sounds like up close.
Probably like cracking bones. That's a lot of momentum.
Maybe like splat, you're dead.
Can they swim that fast? I've never seen them them swim that fast.
Judging just by their size..never researched or anything, but they gotta weigh at least 8-900 lbs.
They gang up and take down Orcas. Well..Orcas hunt them, too.

Forum List

Back