Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I wonder if we'll hear more on this?

Links at site:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003563.htm
WHAT HAPPENED ON FLIGHT 17?
By Michelle Malkin · September 17, 2005 11:51 PM

A number of us in the blogosphere have been catching wind of rumors that a surface-to-air missile was fired at an America West flight originating out of New York. Here's a post at Little Green Footballs, where many commenters are wisely skeptical but wanting more info.

I just got off the phone with Phil Gee, associate manager of media relations at America West, who promptly returned my late evening call. Here's what he told me:

On Sept. 15 (Thursday), America West Flight 17 took off from JFK Airport at 6:05pm EDT. The captain "took the initiative," says Gee, and reported an "irregularity" to air traffic control as the plane was ascending. The plane continued to Phoenix and landed safely at 8:55pm MST. FBI and other authorities met and interviewed all of the crew and passengers on the plane. The investigation is continuing.

Gee would not say whether the pilot or other crew or passengers reported witnessing a missile firing.

"Nothing is confirmed," Gee said.

Although one tipster says America West has informed its pilots of the incident, Gee denied that any company bulletin has been issued. Gee mentioned that he had heard that other airline pilots had posted about the incident on an online forum. E-mail or trackback if you have seen other pilot accounts.

Same link as above:

Update: A government aviation official who asked me not to reveal her name says the "missile siting was [a] false alarm:"

The sighting was reported near Colt's Neck, NJ, which is a major route south out of NY. FAA set up a small temporary flight restriction around the area while checking radar files. Turned out to be nothing more than birds, and [a] big game of "telephone."

GunnyL said:
Obviously you need to keep better control over that little birdie in your sig line. ;)
Well at least the birdie catches the updates! :cool:

Forum List

Back