Some thoughts on tax increases

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Obama is insisting on tax increases in order to avoid the defense cuts his Secretary of Defense will devastate the military. Republicans should hit him where it hurts and call for tax increases on his biggest supporters, Hollywood.

There's an old joke about a boy who complains to his mother that his little sister keeps pulling his hair.
"Oh," responds the mother, "she doesn't know that it hurts."
A few minutes later, the mother hears the girl scream and runs into the other room. "She knows now," the boy explains.

Sunday Reflection: Repeal the Hollywood tax cuts! | WashingtonExaminer.com

If I had my way, I'd eliminate deductions of taxes paid and mortgage interest on the sch A. This would pressure those blue states to make some changes.

Obama is insisting on tax increases in order to avoid the defense cuts his Secretary of Defense will devastate the military. Republicans should hit him where it hurts and call for tax increases on his biggest supporters, Hollywood.

There's an old joke about a boy who complains to his mother that his little sister keeps pulling his hair.
A few minutes later, the mother hears the girl scream and runs into the other room. "She knows now," the boy explains.

Quantum what is your thought on reducing capital gains when the majority of the super wealthy are diversified globally? Do you buy that the wealthy and US job creators are the same or will you concede their is only a partial overlap that could be at best 30%.

Quantum what is your thought on reducing capital gains when the majority of the super wealthy are diversified globally? Do you buy that the wealthy and US job creators are the same or will you concede their is only a partial overlap that could be at best 30%.

Haven't actually looked at the numbers. I do know that taxing investments discourages investment, and that we want to encourage them, so it would make sense to cut capital gains taxes. Most economists actually agree that capital gains taxes are bad for the economy. Krugman is a noted exception to that, but most of his arguments against capital gains taxes focuses on the type of income that is defined as capital gains. I think he has some good points, but he wants to treat all income as income.

Come to think of it, I want to eliminate income taxes too.

Forum List

Back