Some reasons why Eddie Van Halen is the best rock guitar player, ever

I'm older than most of you so I remember the guitar greats of old, most none of you have ever heard of. A few have video on youtube though. Jerry Reed is an unsung guitar master as an example....

Another unsung guitar master is Mike Oldfield.... He wrote this piece when he was 17!

The best guitar player and artist no one talks about...

Pete will freely admit that he is not a great guitar player. He IS however one of the great showmen. He is also a musical genius and The Who has been, and will always be, my favorite band. I was watching That Metal Show and they had Geddy Lee on from Rush and when asked which band and which instrument he would like to have been in his answer was "Bass guitar in The Who". Asked about which song he wished he'd written he answered "Won't Get Fooled Again".

I can't find fault with any of that!

Speaking of Rush, this is one of my favorite guitar performances. :D Alex Lifeson . . . also very talented guitarist.

1) When Eddie was a kid, he took piano lessons for 5 years before his teacher realized he couldn't read music.
Eddie and his brother Alex both won piano competitions different years.
(Eddie accidently developed ears for music as a child)

2) People who followed Van Halen were saying Eddie was the best guitar player in the world, before Van Halen released their first album.

3) Eddie Van Halen would turn his back to the audience , so people couldn't see how he played.

4) Eddie Van Halen customized his guitars and amps, adding a humbucker bridge pickup, which major guitar manufacturers repeated.

5) Eddie Van Halen dipped his guitar pickups to reduce feedback, which major guitar manufacturers repeated.
its all what you like.....thats what it comes down too....

Clapton hasn't played anything worth listening to since 1969.

Once I got accustom to Zappa, especially his interplay with Colaiuta and Barrow; there's just nothing else like it on the planet. There's no one, none of the people I admired, nobody mentioned in this thread would even attempt a solo that could run 5-10 minutes.

I posted it here before, but start with "Inca Roads" and then you get the Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar solos, Wet T shirt, System of Edges that were all the Inca Road solos from different nights.

It's all about who you like anyway

Yes, what you like is a huge influence for sure. Peter Green was always one of my favorites and yes, he would play very long solo's.
yea Peter Green,one of my favorites too.....

Once I got accustom to Zappa, especially his interplay with Colaiuta and Barrow; there's just nothing else like it on the planet. There's no one, none of the people I admired, nobody mentioned in this thread would even attempt a solo that could run 5-10 minutes.

I posted it here before, but start with "Inca Roads" and then you get the Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar solos, Wet T shirt, System of Edges that were all the Inca Road solos from different nights.

Yes, what you like is a huge influence for sure. Peter Green was always one of my favorites and yes, he would play very long solo's.

Here are a couple my favorite songs from Peter Green. I got interested in him when I found out he was the founder of Fleetwood Mac. They had a great bluesy sound that I love. :)

I first heard of him when he replaced Clapton in John Mayalls Bluesbreakers back in 1967 or '68. Can't remember the exact date.

many people have no idea about the first 5 years of Fleetwood Mac....many think Black Magic Woman was a Santana original....

Here are a couple my favorite songs from Peter Green. I got interested in him when I found out he was the founder of Fleetwood Mac. They had a great bluesy sound that I love. :)

I first heard of him when he replaced Clapton in John Mayalls Bluesbreakers back in 1967 or '68. Can't remember the exact date.

many people have no idea about the first 5 years of Fleetwood Mac....many think Black Magic Woman was a Santana original....

So true. There is so much history from the early rock and roll era that these youngun's have no idea about.

1) QUOTE]
its all what you like.....thats what it comes down too....

i'm huge fan of Randy Rhoades, Jake E lee, Satriani , Greg Ginn, the guitar work of Metallica , Slayer, Kiss.

after playing guitar for over 20 years, i'm currently in an in=depth study of early Van Halen.

if I get the time I plan to study Comets and Chuck Berry

Michael Bloomfield was one of the best guitar players in the 60's....especially his years with Paul Butterfield......

he was a great blues player.....

Eddie Van Halen is a good guitar player, but I would not qualify him as the best.

Just like I would never claim that David Lee Roth was a good singer..

At the time Page's solo in Heartbreaker left many of us stunned. Sure, today theres some 7 year old Korean kid that has it in his YouTube, but at the time Page was the man

if you like guitar players other than Van Halen , that's fine.
if you like different music that's fine, but to say people play guitar better than Van Halen is just flat out wrong.

although no one can duplicate Hendrix, he simply never recorded enough material to compete with Van Halen.

Clapton? I just don't get it. Even Van Halen said Cream was a big influence , but I think a Van Halen track like "i'm the one" pretty much trumps everything Clapton did, including Layla.
People like Clapton, that's fine.

SRV came out with a great sound, but a lot of people like Stevie Ray Sheppard got rich by ripping him off, so his guitar work is not impossible.
Ripping off Van Halen is nearly an impossibility.

Jeff Beck?
nope.
I've seen Clapton 6 times in concert and this is probably the best guitar track I've ever heard him lay down.

BTW, I've seen Jeff Beck in concert; Led Zepellin twice; Richie Blackmore; Alvin Lee; Terry Kath; Martin Barre; Lindsey Buckingham; Pete Townsend 5 times; and the best guitarist in concert was Jeff Beck. He kicked the most ass.

Eddie Van Halen's defining moment that elevated him into the Hendrix/Clapton class of guitarists, was when it was discovered he did Van Halen's first album all on just one guitar track. No over-dubbing. That's what put him on the map.

So true. There is so much history from the early rock and roll era that these youngun's have no idea about.

I must be a youngun because some of these, I've never heard of. :woohoo:

if you like guitar players other than Van Halen , that's fine.
if you like different music that's fine, but to say people play guitar better than Van Halen is just flat out wrong.

although no one can duplicate Hendrix, he simply never recorded enough material to compete with Van Halen.

Clapton? I just don't get it. Even Van Halen said Cream was a big influence , but I think a Van Halen track like "i'm the one" pretty much trumps everything Clapton did, including Layla.
People like Clapton, that's fine.

SRV came out with a great sound, but a lot of people like Stevie Ray Sheppard got rich by ripping him off, so his guitar work is not impossible.
Ripping off Van Halen is nearly an impossibility.

Jeff Beck?
nope.
I've seen Clapton 6 times in concert and this is probably the best guitar track I've ever heard him lay down.

BTW, I've seen Jeff Beck in concert; Led Zepellin twice; Richie Blackmore; Alvin Lee; Terry Kath; Martin Barre; Lindsey Buckingham; Pete Townsend 5 times; and the best guitarist in concert was Jeff Beck. He kicked the most ass.

Eddie Van Halen's defining moment that elevated him into the Hendrix/Clapton class of guitarists, was when it was discovered he did Van Halen's first album all on just one guitar track. No over-dubbing. That's what put him on the map.

Oh, that's a great tune. Love that one!

Forum List

Back