Somali pirates pocket at least $1.67 million

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Are you fucking kidding me? They paid them?

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somali pirates released two hijacked ships after ransoms were paid, U.S. military officials said Thursday.

The deals emerged as Britain warned that paying for the release of hostages risks encouraging more piracy.

NBC News reported that the Great Creation, a Hong Kong-flagged chemical tanker seized on Sept. 18, was released after a $1.67 million ransom was paid.

Pirates free two ships after ransoms paid - Somalia- msnbc.com

Are you fucking kidding me? They paid them?

Why not? Bush paid China when they shot down our plane and took our people hostage. It's becoming a tradition. Wonder if Obama will keep it up.

I feel for those in the future who are captured, or whose family members are captured thanks to the encouragement this government has given terrorists.

Why not? Bush paid China when they shot down our plane and took our people hostage. It's becoming a tradition. Wonder if Obama will keep it up.

I feel for those in the future who are captured, or whose family members are captured thanks to the encouragement this government has given terrorists.

China didn't shoot down our plane. It collided with a Chinese fighter. It was caused by the Chinese pilot, but that doesn't change the fact that the plane landed on Mainland china. The Chinese had somewhat of a case.

Fact is that these two incidents are no where near being in the same league.

the pirates have disrupted the suez canal forcing ships to take the longer route...2000 or so miles longer around the cape...adding to costs....insurance premiums are going up for the ships...

somilia is in a civil war with a transitional government that is barely holding on...the pirates run for land and are home safe there...i can see the pirates view...why watch millions of dollars float by...while your country is in proverty and war

This is a very simple problem. Pirates are attacking international shipping with impunity. There has been no retribution, and the raking in money hand over fist. In an age with spy satellites, predator drone, and A-10s, there is simply no excuse other than total lack of interest and competance in certain quarters. It is simply the proper way for the Bush admin to go out the door, with another international situation totally FUBARed. I believe after 20Jan09, the may be some very surprised pirates in Somalia, Indonesia, and South America.

This is a very simple problem. Pirates are attacking international shipping with impunity. There has been no retribution, and the raking in money hand over fist. In an age with spy satellites, predator drone, and A-10s, there is simply no excuse other than total lack of interest and competance in certain quarters. It is simply the proper way for the Bush admin to go out the door, with another international situation totally FUBARed. I believe after 20Jan09, the may be some very surprised pirates in Somalia, Indonesia, and South America.
and just what gives you THAT belief?

Oh? Are you suggesting the Bush administration stick its nose in another nation's business?

And you just let Obama do it.

I don't think you realize what a completely retarded statement you just posted.

I would not be at all surprised if, in certain countries, Special Forces were being asked to provide feasibility studies for how this might be dealt with, but having remote recon capabilities surely doesn't make it a walk in the park.

On the other hand, if it is so easy, pop the solution on a postcard and mail it in. I've taken the liberty of providing the address.

Contacting the White House

the pirates have disrupted the suez canal forcing ships to take the longer route...2000 or so miles longer around the cape...adding to costs....insurance premiums are going up for the ships...

somilia is in a civil war with a transitional government that is barely holding on...the pirates run for land and are home safe there...i can see the pirates view...why watch millions of dollars float by...while your country is in proverty and war

What "transitional government"? There is NO gov't in Somalia. It's run by packs of tribal warlords....like the rest of sub-Saharan Africa.

I have a theory about this...

Yes a perfectly reasonable question is why haven't the government of the world taken on this problem?

Seems to me that taking out Somalia port facilities would solve the problem.

So why doesn't the world's leading shipping nations doing just that?

Anyone care to guess why I think no GOVERNMENT has taken on this task?

Oh? Are you suggesting the Bush administration stick its nose in another nation's business?

And you just let Obama do it.

I don't think you realize what a completely retarded statement you just posted.

Perhaps the retard is anyone that just suggests letting matters go on as they are. Or have Marines changed their attitude since I was a young man?

What nation are we speaking of? Are you suggesting that there are nations actively supporting the pirates? If so, are we not legally entitled to take out much of their military as retribution? And if they are not supporting the pirates, why should they object if we end the existance of a few pirates within their waters or on their shore?

This is the kind of terrorism that Bush stated that he would fight, and has totally failed to do. It is up to the next President to do so. The next President is Obama. This is an easy fix. Take out these fellows, do it with precision. Find the financial network that is supporting them, and remove a few people there. Those kind of lessons stay learned.

Forum List

Back