Solution to Payroll Tax Reduction Extension Simple

Freedomlover

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2008
The solution to the extension of the Payroll Tax Reduction is simple if the D's and the R's would step back and take a look at an approach that gives both sides something.

The tax reduction should be extended for 12 months; the cost of the extension should be made up by increasing the amount of earned income, currently at about $102,000, subject to the Payroll tax. A large majority of Americans pay on 100% of their earned income, therefore it is not unreasonable to increase this to an amount to cover the cost to SS and keep SS whole; the new revenues generated by increasing the ceiling on earned income should go to the SS Fund with language stipulating these funds can not be spent on anything else other than SS.

This compromise, if enacted, would show Americans that indeed Congress, when it puts its mind to it, can get something done!

For those who think that the riders in this legislation are the problem, you are wrong. The Dems and the Pres. have agreed to them. All that remains is what I written about above.

How about we just make it permanent, and cut some spending?

Fuck all this compromise bullshit for temporary vote buying.

What good is a tax cut that ends in a year? It'll just be another fucking argument next year when it's about to expire again.

Maybe if they raised the amount subject to the Social Security tax the reduction could be made permanent.

Freedomlover, your solution is to simple, uncomplicated and logical and therefore un-doable in Congress. If adopted the President ans Congress would lose an issue on which to grandstand.

The solution to the extension of the Payroll Tax Reduction is simple if the D's and the R's would step back and take a look at an approach that gives both sides something.

The tax reduction should be extended for 12 months; the cost of the extension should be made up by increasing the amount of earned income, currently at about $102,000, subject to the Payroll tax. A large majority of Americans pay on 100% of their earned income, therefore it is not unreasonable to increase this to an amount to cover the cost to SS and keep SS whole; the new revenues generated by increasing the ceiling on earned income should go to the SS Fund with language stipulating these funds can not be spent on anything else other than SS.

This compromise, if enacted, would show Americans that indeed Congress, when it puts its mind to it, can get something done!

For those who think that the riders in this legislation are the problem, you are wrong. The Dems and the Pres. have agreed to them. All that remains is what I written about above.

This is not a solution.

The solution must come with putting the cash back into the fund. They cant even make current payouts without borrowing. See last presidential threat.

Except that, even if they increase the wages that subject to SS, those new wages would still be exempt from paying the tax because of the payroll tax holiday.

How about we just make it permanent, and cut some spending?

Fuck all this compromise bullshit for temporary vote buying.

What good is a tax cut that ends in a year? It'll just be another fucking argument next year when it's about to expire again.

Because we need to fully fund the SS program, not pay less into it.

Raise the age of retirement, increase taxation on income for SS to the first one million income.

Problem solved.

Raise the age of retirement, increase taxation on income for SS to the first one million income.

Problem solved.

Again, genius, how does raising the income subject to the SS tax pay for the payroll tax holiday since it covers everyone who pays the tax?

You certainly proved that Forrest Gump was right when you said stupid is as stupid does.

Problem solved.

Again, genius, how does raising the income subject to the SS tax pay for the payroll tax holiday since it covers everyone who pays the tax?

You certainly proved that Forrest Gump was right when you said stupid is as stupid does.

There's a ceiling on the income dollars subject to the Social Security withholding. I think it's about $107,000. For the evil 1%'ers, they are not taxed on the income earned above that amount. I've never understood this.

This is a good program and an obvious wealth redistribution plan. The cash is taken from those who are working and given to those who are not working. I don't understand first why the very high income folks have some of their income protected and secondly why the blood suckers haven't already gone after it.

Problem solved.

There's a ceiling on the income dollars subject to the Social Security withholding. I think it's about $107,000. For the evil 1%'ers, they are not taxed on the income earned above that amount. I've never understood this.

This is a good program and an obvious wealth redistribution plan. The cash is taken from those who are working and given to those who are not working. I don't understand first why the very high income folks have some of their income protected and secondly why the blood suckers haven't already gone after it.

What did anything you just posted have to do with the fucking point I made? The payroll tax holiday exempts everyone who pays SS taxes from paying. Raising the amount of income subject to the tax will not pay for the holiday because that additional income will also be included in the holiday. Anyone with an IQ about the freezing point of nitrogen should understand that.

Obviously the tax holiday needs to be ended, bright eyes, the income up to the first million needs to be taxes, means testing needs to be started, and the retirement age increased.

No major problem exists at all, except in the minds of the sillies.

What we need is income tax reform, reform of SS, reform Medicare Medicaid all these programs are unsustainable to simply take more of people' money and put that into failing government programs is idiotic Paul Ryan has some good ideas..And so did Obama's Deficit commission which he completely ignored... what a joke that man is

http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/Issues/Issue/?IssueID=8521they do nothing to solve the problems.

The Republican and Democratic Congress, not Obama, ignored the Commission.

The social programs are sustainable.

Stop lying, Jroc, we have been through this with you before, and you will always lose these arguments.

The best candidate that got defamed out of the race had the PERFECT PLAN and it was called 9-9-9!

This is not a solution.

The solution must come with putting the cash back into the fund. They cant even make current payouts without borrowing. See last presidential threat.

I have hated this tax cut from the time they put it into effect. Republicans piss me off when they say that 47% of Americans pay no taxes, because it is not true. Everyone who works pays federal taxes through payroll taxes. However, now we want to reduce those also. The Federal Government has a revenue problem just as much as it does a spending problem if not more so.

I believe one of the biggest reasons businesses continue to sit on cash rather than reinvest it is simply due to the fact they are scared what will happen on the government side as the deficit continues to grow and grow and grow. Get the budget close to balanced with no deficit or just a small sustainable deficit and the economy will start to grow again. But in order to do that, the government needs more revenue, not less. How can we even think of raising taxes on anyone when we are actually cutting them? It just doesn't make any sense. Dump the Bush tax cuts and end this payroll tax cut nightmare. Make some reasonable cuts and before you know it, we could have a budget that has a minimal or no deficit.

The best candidate that got defamed out of the race had the PERFECT PLAN and it was called 9-9-9!

The 6-6-6 tax reform plan was a joke that would have given massive tax cuts to the wealthy and doubled and tripled taxes on the middle class and working poor. Not being able to understand that proves that you are either very wealthy and want your taxes reduced even more than they have been, out of greed, or you are just plain ignorant to the facts of that horrible plan.

This is not a solution.

I have hated this tax cut from the time they put it into effect. Republicans piss me off when they say that 47% of Americans pay no taxes, because it is not true. Everyone who works pays federal taxes through payroll taxes. However, now we want to reduce those also. The Federal Government has a revenue problem just as much as it does a spending problem if not more so.

I believe one of the biggest reasons businesses continue to sit on cash rather than reinvest it is simply due to the fact they are scared what will happen on the government side as the deficit continues to grow and grow and grow. Get the budget close to balanced with no deficit or just a small sustainable deficit and the economy will start to grow again. But in order to do that, the government needs more revenue, not less. How can we even think of raising taxes on anyone when we are actually cutting them? It just doesn't make any sense. Dump the Bush tax cuts and end this payroll tax cut nightmare. Make some reasonable cuts and before you know it, we could have a budget that has a minimal or no deficit.

Humm...yeah right.:cuckoo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-w-8fXzwQE]How Big is the U.S. Debt? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
The Republican and Democratic Congress, not Obama, ignored the Commission.

The social programs are sustainable.

Stop lying, Jroc, we have been through this with you before, and you will always lose these arguments.

Really so when did Obama push for the reforms recommended by the comission? Jake the fake conservative :eusa_shifty:

This is not a solution.

I dont know why the claim pisses you off. The claim has nothing to do with the payroll tax. This is invented outrage or however you care to phrase it. The figure was taken from the IRS for Federal taxes.

Until spending is cut I can not support an increase in taxes.

Forum List

Back