Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth

Should we all be acting like cockroaches? Does a solar flare release gamma radiation?

A solar flare isn't just an explosion of hot gases. It pushes out waves of light all across the spectrum. That includes light we can't see -- including radiation in the form of X-rays and gamma rays. These rays can be dangerous to humans. Fortunately, the Earth's atmosphere absorbs most of these high-energy rays.

That's not to say everyone is in the clear after a solar flare. Humans in space or at high altitudes -- on board an airplane, for example -- could risk exposure to intense radiation. Short-term damage could include skin irritation. Long-term consequences might include an increased risk of developing skin cancer. But it's likely that any affected human would eventually recover from the exposure.

Electronics are also vulnerable to these rays. If high-energy rays were to hit a satellite, they could strip electrons from the metal components, ionizing them. As electrons break free, they could short out the electronics within a satellite. They could also create a magnetic field that would damage the satellite's systems. Some satellites have shielding to protect them from these rays, but many are still vulnerable.

Howstuffworks "Could an extremely powerful solar flare destroy all the electronics on Earth?"

How long does it take for light to travel from the sun to earth? I am a bit confused on this one. It happened on the sun on Sunday and tuesday night it will be at earth - that's pretty fast isn't it?

How long does it take for light to travel from the sun to earth? I am a bit confused on this one. It happened on the sun on Sunday and tuesday night it will be at earth - that's pretty fast isn't it?

It only takes 8 minutes 20 seconds for light to get here from the sun but the matter ejected from solar flares takes a bit longer.

thanks. I sometimes i think to hard and create complication. However, I am still under the assumption that to travel in space - at a rate of lightspeed the space would have to be bent in order to assume such calculations. And if space is bent - which, would also refer to 'time" then it would seem to me, that such solar flares would travel a non-direct path. If possible then the actual disruption could have happened years ago, possibly longer and the magnatism changing due to the "new allignment" could be the end of such an occurance from the past.

I am by no means one of those real smarties who live and breathe this stuff but, I have questions and sometimes what I hear doesn't add up

FOXNews.com - Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth

Earth is bracing for a cosmic tsunami Tuesday night as tons of plasma from a massive solar flare head directly toward the planet.

The Sun's surface erupted early Sunday morning, shooting a wall of ionized atoms directly at Earth, scientists say. It is expected to create a geomagnetic storm and a spectacular light show -- and it could pose a threat to satellites in orbit, as well.

"This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on Aug. 4," said Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

Definately staying up for the northern lights tonight!!!!
You do realize this will knock out a few satellites?

FOXNews.com - Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth

Earth is bracing for a cosmic tsunami Tuesday night as tons of plasma from a massive solar flare head directly toward the planet.

The Sun's surface erupted early Sunday morning, shooting a wall of ionized atoms directly at Earth, scientists say. It is expected to create a geomagnetic storm and a spectacular light show -- and it could pose a threat to satellites in orbit, as well.

"This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on Aug. 4," said Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

Definately staying up for the northern lights tonight!!!!
You do realize this will knock out a few satellites?
it could
if they aren't shielded for this sort of thing
i find that astounding that any modern sat would not be shielded

now it might temporarily interrupt the signals, but most should survive it

well we are gonna try to see the lights....on special occasions...they show this far south...rare but maybe we will see them

i hope everyone gets to see them

Obama inherited this from Boooooooosh!

Obama will wait 56 days before addressing this

THE SUN IS A CHARGIN ITS LAZER

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAA7F7CDEIw]YouTube - Shoop da whoop[/ame]

Those damn Democratic and liberal scientists. They keep finding "stuff".

It was less scary when "God did it".

I'm ready for the radiation bombardment.

869686657_49825c3e76.jpg

Forum List

Back